PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Caribou crash, Kudgeru gap, PNG, 28 Aug 1972

Linedriver
9th Jul 2007, 12:00
Gents, I’m looking for anyone who was involved as a civilian pilot in the search for the RAAF Caribou that crashed in the Kudgeru Gap in New Guinea on 28 August 1972. If you were involved, or know someone who was, I’d appreciate you contacting me by PM.

mainwheel
11th Jul 2007, 04:06
Is that the same one at Tapini?

Wiley
11th Jul 2007, 05:26
No.

Extra words added to allow post.

HANOI
11th Jul 2007, 06:01
Try "Fatty Hawkins" QF737 Cpt.
He was with TAA in Lae then.
A few other gawkers nearly joined the Caribou

Chimbu chuckles
11th Jul 2007, 06:07
Mainwheel the Kudjeru Gap, and the thin, winding valley that leads to it, gives access to the Wau Valley from the southern coastal lowlands. Approaching the gap from the south can be tricky due to the terrain throwing up some 'interesting' optical elusions and a lack of 'room to move'.

mainwheel
11th Jul 2007, 06:13
Thanks. I've never heard of it. Hence the response.:confused:

I do remember the glidescope into Tapini though!!:uhoh:

Disguise Delimit
11th Jul 2007, 09:08
Was this the crash involving Graham Thomas?

Linedriver
11th Jul 2007, 10:01
DD, yes, it was the accident involving Graham Thomas. I'm interested in getting any inputs from any of the civilian pilots who took part in the search.

rkoomans
30th Oct 2007, 02:45
Hi, I was amongst lucky PNGVR Platoon pulled off that flight that day, we were put on Hercules instead. I have the incident in mybook on PC named ARMY DAZE but I also replied to Chris Young who was a chopper pilot back then, one of the RESCUE PILOTS - now on 777's with Emirates in DUBAI. He is also writing of the incident, but as the central issue. My view was from one of the troops who lived near the families of some of the Cadet lads killed, and as a member of the Mortar Platoon PNGVR. Robert Clive Jackway Koomans (TEX) Brisbane, Australia

QF A330
30th Oct 2007, 10:20
I believe that Capt Graham "Fatty" Hawkins has retired from QF after chatting to some of his peers.