PDA

View Full Version : Trivia Question

BillHicksRules
9th Jul 2007, 09:58
Dear all,

What was the first jet aircraft to shoot itself down and who was the pilot?

Cheers

BHR

BillHicksRules
9th Jul 2007, 10:26
Ratty,

GEEK!!!!!!

:E:E:E

Well done. Did you know that or did you do a Google search?

Cheers

BHR

classjazz
10th Jul 2007, 07:29
This guy wasn't the first and probably hasn't been the last but back in the late 80's, we were doing a practice diversion into Lyneham. The tower asked us to expedite the active as they had a Harrier on finals with a problem. We did expedite and parked up while we thought about what we would do after a lunch. As I was looking at the charts, a lone figure in a flying suit pitched up and asked if we could give him a lift back to Wittering. I agreed provisionally provided the Capt agreed ( I was rh seating at that time)
What had happened for him to leave his jet behind and come to us for lift. Well, he had been on a live firing display on the Plain and had fired his rocket pod, turned sharp left and a richochet had taken out his canopy - oops. One lucky pilot! I commented that it served him right for flying such a silly aircraft and he said "Not for long". He was going to HK to fly big jets. The MOD had offered him an exchange tour, promotion etc but he knew where he wanted to go. Better than shooting himself down I suppose.

ShyTorque
10th Jul 2007, 09:25
Don't know but I'll wager it was a rotary winged aircraft.

The Helpful Stacker
10th Jul 2007, 14:31
How about "What aircraft was the first to have a mid-air collision with itself?"

I believe it may have been a Belvedere in Borneo that had a shaft failure.