PDA

View Full Version : Hooker Creek

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Jul 2007, 14:11
The Fork-tailed Dr Killer and I are headed for Broome in a few weeks time.

Can anyone give me a heads-up on Hooker Creek as a refuelling (Avgas) stop?

Dr:cool:

the wizard of auz
8th Jul 2007, 14:40
Not sure if they still have fuel there now, as Abo air used to run the bowser's.
best advise I can give you if there is fuel available there, is to get in, fuel up and get out. don't plan on staying there as there isn't any accommodation ( I slept under the wing for a while. The dogs and party's kept me awake. eventually the Abo air pilot took pity and I camped on his lounge.
Don't carry grog either. Its a dry camp (supposedly).
Better you ring before you go.

Duff Shark
8th Jul 2007, 14:41
when i was there last 3months avgas was available, run/owned by the HC store. Call the shop or the number in the ersa, Make sure you arrange a time for the refueller to be there before hand, Dont call him last minute or on weekends and expect to get fuel and there is no carnet so you will need to arrange some payment terms prior.

DS

Continental-520
8th Jul 2007, 15:28
What a mistake of a place that was!! Done a few flights in and out of there, jeez.

I remember the AVGAS pump there taking a 'custom made' carnet card that had to be obtained from the pump owner, so I suppose you'll have to pre-arrange it with them if you want AVGAS like Duff Shark says.
I also remember it being a *really, really* fast pump, too. I needed two hands to keep it filling fuel into the tank cause the pressure through the hose was so high!!!

Anyway, that was just an irrelevant (but humourous memory for me) anecdote....

Oh, and by the way, the name is misleading, cause there are no hookers, and there's no creek either.

DUXNUTZ
8th Jul 2007, 15:38
I lived there for a couple weeks filling in for a guy on vacation. The power meter took powercards so was always exciting to have to bail out the door mid shave to refill the meter.

Gem of a town, really should be on the tourist trail for the NT.

tinpis
8th Jul 2007, 18:15
You will find its now called Lajamanu
If you are extremely insane dont miss a visit
Mel Broughs boys should be there to help

http://www.ozoutback.com.au/postcards/postcards_forms/lajamanu/Image/au102061.jpg

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Jul 2007, 21:42
OK, sounds like a good one to fly over!

How about Hall's Creek?

Not planning to stay - just re-fuel and b*ggar off!

load it, launch it
8th Jul 2007, 21:48
FTDK,
I have got fuel many times at Laju,
never had a problem if arriving with a purchase order and advanced notice to the refueler. They will come out when you fly over normally.

LILI

Yusef Danet
9th Jul 2007, 00:39
If the Doctor Killler can overfly, bypass or merely eke past Hooker Creek, I recommend it. Unless you really want to see just how Third World some of our countrymen live, get your avgas in Halls .

ga_trojan
9th Jul 2007, 00:57
Lajamanu Progress Association are the ones who have always owned the fuel, Abo Air bought it off them, call them for info on the fuel

Chadzat
9th Jul 2007, 01:24
I seond Yusef. Scenery when coming in to land at Halls is ten times better than 'the laj'.

tinpis
9th Jul 2007, 01:29
Unless you really want to see just how Third World some of our countrymen live, get your avgas in Halls .

Chad you're one of the fortunate few that have seen your tax dollar at work
Don't demean good honest third world countries

aero979
9th Jul 2007, 02:48
Gday wiz, yep i remember that night, that case of VB came in handy!
As for fuel, the manager of the store will take care of it, just give him plenty of notice, and have payment ready. The number will be in ERSA. It really IS a great place to visit...:}

Desert Duck
9th Jul 2007, 03:48
And, ---- Hooker Creek is one of the better communities

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Jul 2007, 03:54
YBTL-YBMA-YBKS (for lunch) -YHOO-YBRM does appear to be the best route.

I guess an alternative would be,

YBTL-YBMA-YBKS (for lunch) -YTNK-YHLC-YBRM

Dr

squawk6969
9th Jul 2007, 04:26
The Jabawocky did YCAB-YTAM-YLRE FUEL, YBMA Fuel, YTNK Fuel, YHLC Fuel, YBRM Fuel.

Return trip via the deep north....gulf country etc.

Fuel was all ok at the above mentioned.

What takes the Doc to Broome?

SQ

troppo
9th Jul 2007, 06:19
Chad you're one of the fortunate few that have seen your tax dollar at work
Don't demean good honest third world countries

bahwahhahaha :p:D

Tin's on fire today with that lil gem

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Jul 2007, 07:24
"What takes the Doc to Broome?"

Ah go'in t'get some edumication!
Da beef bruddas are hab'in a c'robree.
N we gunna cel'brate da dreeeeeem'n!
We gunna cel'brate da Posters dreem'n!
N we gunna cel'brate da Melbon Bitter dreem'n!
N we gunna cel'brate da Veeeeee Beeeeee dreem'n!

squawk6969
9th Jul 2007, 10:21
I bin tink you bin dremin too bluddy much posters dreamin YTAM a bluddy long walkabout from brluddy Tamwerf. Maaaaaaiii flight planner says it in black pella country bout 183marrles on head'n 284 degrees.

So far I have not become lost in the Jabawocky, cant speak for old QF captains, but he seems to make it back most times:ooh:

Better send daily reports from all my lashions up dere!

SQ

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Jul 2007, 10:30
Taroom = YTAM
Tamworth = YSTW

Oops!

megle2
9th Jul 2007, 11:02
Fork
You better recheck your diary.
I think the Qld National Party have already had their Broome mini holiday meeting.
Maybe you had already sent your proxies in!

squawk6969
9th Jul 2007, 11:06
He's getting in early for the next one:}

compressor stall
9th Jul 2007, 12:29
Who else here remembers the notam for YHOO...

"Numerous plastic bags transiting AD".

Sums up the place really.

wrongwayaround
9th Jul 2007, 13:47
I remember doing a 3-day charter in YHOO!

I've never been so freaking bored in my entire life!!!!!!!

on the upside, from memory, they have a little corolla cut in half to tow aeroplanes around.

WWA :)

maxgrad
9th Jul 2007, 14:30
The half car thingy is still there.
Yes, that particular NOTAM is well remembered.
Told a crew member new to HOO that the dishes LHS of the approach to 10 were part of the Pine Gap space base deal. She was busy taking photoes to take back home to NZ and very impressed that Hoo had something to offer.:}:ugh:
Personally I think the dog breading program they are undertaking there is going very well.

Fuel is no probs but take note of the advice by those above re early arrangements and payment.

Nose wheel first
9th Jul 2007, 22:51
Fuel is no problem at Halls Creek so long as you have a BP card.

There's nothing like a trip to beautiful sunny downtown HLC to make your trip memorable!!! The best part of HLC is the fact that the pub is only 2 minutes walk from the airstrip and is located WITHIN the 8ft high fence which completely encircles HLC airport. A nice touch really...... now you can walk to your hotel room without having someone say "hey.... paaalot. u gotta shmoke?"

HLC isn't a bad place to stop for lunch..... the pub serves pretty good food in the sports bar (which I believe is open from 10am) and it's literally spitting didtance from your plane.

NWF

Reverseflowkeroburna
17th Jul 2007, 02:57
Yeah Hells Crack is definitely a convenient lunch stop and when I last stopped in there (a good few years back) the tucker in the sports bar wasn't too bad either.
But if you're going to go via HLC then I recommend you swing via Wolf Creek Crater. Well worth the 57nm diversion south me thinks! :ok:

tinpis
19th Jul 2007, 06:10
Thats "Hells Crack"