PDA

View Full Version : CPL Theory?

1a-tej
8th Jul 2007, 12:23
I have recieved some great advice from professionals in this forum which I appreciate!

Is it possible to do the theory component of a CPL without going through a flight school?

Thanks

Shaun

THE IRON MAIDEN
8th Jul 2007, 12:37
Try Bob Tait in brissy

I didnt do the CPL but did do the IREX.

there are other places around the country too. Im not sure who they are though.

UnderneathTheRadar
8th Jul 2007, 13:36
Try searching this forum, there are plenty of threads with advice and info on self-study.

I also agree that bob tait is pretty good and worked for me - passed all exams first time on self study alone. If you're reasonably self-motivated and mathematically minded then you'll work out some of the harder maths problems, the rest is just memory work.

The two key things you'll need are a) decent study and particularly exam technique and b) a copy of the CASA syllabus (from the website)

good luck

UTR

1a-tej
9th Jul 2007, 00:25
Thanks.

How can I get in touch with Bob?

Shaun

harropster
9th Jul 2007, 01:31
I did Bob's last CPL course which finished a week ago.

Very good, would definetley recommend going to him, he covers it all.

Going to do my IREX with him too.

Here is his website: http://www.bobtait.com.au/

UnderneathTheRadar
9th Jul 2007, 01:46
1a-tej,

Just so there's no confusion, Bob Tait writes books which you can use to self-study (which I did) as well as running courses which it appears that harropster did. To confuse even further, he also has online practice exams which are very much worth the price.

The books are available at all pilot supplies stores or can be ordered off his website. Doing the course is no cheaper than doing it at your school with the added cost of having to be in Brisbane to do it!

UTR

fixa24
9th Jul 2007, 02:31
I'm doing all mine self study using a combination of Bob Tait and Aviation Theory Centre stuff. You do not have to go through a flight school for theory. You just bring in your KDR's when you go to sit your CPL flight test.

THE IRON MAIDEN
9th Jul 2007, 09:35
AND dont forget proof of BAK when you rock up at ASL!

I did that once (after the changed the rule!) and cost me the price of the :mad: exam!

richie-rich
9th Jul 2007, 09:43
iron maiden, happened to me last week too! godddd! didnt know the logbook was worth THISSSSSS much! :ugh:

THE IRON MAIDEN
9th Jul 2007, 09:50
when I was at the computer she said where's your B.A.K..

I said right there where it says P.P.L !

I didnt know you could get a PPL without the BAK pass? evidently there are a few PPL holders out there who dont know their BAK theory.... ( and some didnt do the exam :} )

pilotmike
9th Jul 2007, 10:18
harropster

You highly recommend 'Bob':

did Bob's last CPL course which finished a week ago.
Very good, would definetley recommend going to him, he covers it all.

But do you think he would thank you for your endorsement, given the questions you asked just 3 days ago on the Professional Pilot Traning forum?

hi all, quick question for yas

when you make a turn to the left, the right aeliron goes down thus making the extra angle of attack, thus creating the more lift, while the left aeliron goes up

is this correct?

also

pushing the nose down, causes the elevator to deflect upwards
is that correct?

and left rudder pedel causes the rudder to deflect to the left (assuming you are still facing the front of the aircraft)

thanks for your help!

i am still a beginner pilot

From the timing, you were on Bob's course when you asked us these complex aerodynamic questions. Did you think of asking him, or did it make you too embarrassed in front of your mates?

Has 'Bob' helped you to figure it out yet, so you can worry the $h!t out of us all as you graduate to being a professional pilot?