PDA

View Full Version : Flying Pickpockets Fly-In

Harris eng
15th Dec 2001, 00:27
Londoners are facing an unprecedented blitz from gangs of specially trained South American pickpockets who have flown in to target high-spending Christmas revellers.

Detectives have identified organised teams from Chile and Brazil who stay in the capital over the holiday period and steal thousands of pounds every day - at a time when shops, restaurants, pubs and bars are packed with people carrying large amounts of money.

To combat the menace officers are now going undercover as pub, bar and club doormen.

Detectives claim the thieves are trained at "Fagin" schools at home. The masterclasses teach them how to steal a bell from a pocket without it ringing and razor blades without cutting hands.

Detective Chief Inspector Steve Morgan said today: "There is a lot of money washing around and some people have a number of gold cards in their wallets. Thousands of pounds can be taken within minutes of the theft and a laptop can be sold immediately through the right channels. We need to warn people to be vigilant."

The thieves work in teams and have developed a range of techniques to distract victims as they carry out the thefts - often without people realising anything has been taken.

The crime teams will approach their victim after cash has been withdrawn from the bank and, for example, "accidentally" spill coffee over the target. As they apologise and try and rub it off the wallet will be taken from an inside pocket.

The foreign teams stay at hotels in Bayswater and Earls Court often arriving in the UK posing as families. Their faces are unknown to police and so they are relatively free to go about their illicit trade.

They also pick a table in a restaurant or pub and once they have distracted the victim or just picked up a discarded bag other members will hit shops and banks with credit cards.

DCI Morgan added: "These teams are coming from all over the world, but especially South America and Eastern Europe, specifically to target people in central London and the City."

He said: "Officers will be working in bars as bouncers and also mingling with drinkers to look out for offenders. The thieves are often easy for police to spot but after a few drinks people can become careless." Credit cards taken in London are often used across the country within hours of being stolen.

Officers recently arrested a thief, posing as a City worker, who would sit in a bar with an umbrella which had a hook attached to the end so he could pull bags and jackets away from victims.

On other occasions pickpockets have stolen wallets and gone on a shopping spree and returned the credit card back into the suit pocket later that day. One man lost a £50,000 watch after he was duped in a distraction theft.

Police are concerned that, as businesses cut back on the traditional office party, it is expected there will be more impromptu gatherings at bars and nightclubs.

In the City, police are using street theatre in pubs and clubs to get the message across to members of the public to look after belongings.

Officers are distributing hundreds of posters and leaflets to City firms and their workers warning about thefts. Between records, DJs will be giving clubbers regular reminders to look after their handbags and wallets. Hotline numbers have been set up for bar staff to call if they spot one of the men in the police most wanted list.

Tin Kicker
15th Dec 2001, 00:33
Time for a bit of Saudi-style justice, I think. Cut their bloody hands off. :mad:

The Guvnor
15th Dec 2001, 19:58
One of the Grinning Pullover's favourite party tricks is nicking peoples' watches. In fact, he got the price of his now delayed A340-600s reduced after betting Marcel Hardcel that he could get his watch off his wrist without him knowing about it.

Perhaps this is how his empire was funded? :eek: :D :eek:

mal_adjusted
20th Dec 2001, 11:33
Hmm police officers posing as bouncers and drinkers

Farside
20th Dec 2001, 12:10
O.K a little bit embarrassing but here is my story. I arrived a long long time ago in JFK with the wife and two kids on our way to Disney Land on some cheap tickets. Since it was the first time for the family to touch down in the good old USA and since I was this very “experienced world traveler” flying for this little charter ( had been in JFK twice before!!) I thought it was a good idea to explain to mother and kids that this was not like our little hicktown back home , but a world city with all sort of undesirable creatures. It was an especially important briefing for my wife since she held ( and still holds) the world record for traveling with many many cabin and all sort of other plastic bags. So when we had collected all our bags I stopped in the middle of the arrival lounge in JFK ( to give it a little bit more decorum) put my Flight kit down ( You always travel with your flight kit so that everybody knows that you’ve done it before!) and told the full family entourage “ Now listen, I want you to be alert and careful with your things here because there are a lot of bad people who want to steal our bags! and we don’t want that to happen do we???? “
After I thought that my little pearl of travel wisdom had sunk in I said “ And let’s now go and have some fun!!” I bent down to pick up my Flight Kit, with the reservations for our car, with all the passports and with all our cash ( This was the time that a credit card was only for rich pilots!) and all other paperwork you need for vacation, only to find an empty place staring at me. Kit was gone!! After six hours delay we managed to get a flight back to “Hicktown”. We rented a Caravan and drove 65 times around the house!!