PDA

View Full Version : Part falling from QANTAS jet flying into Melbourne

Torqueman
8th Jul 2007, 07:20
Caught just a glimps ot the news highlights a few minutes ago. Has anyone seen anything similar or have any further news?

Mustangbaz
8th Jul 2007, 07:40
looks like the fingernail fairing, absoulte pr@*ck to put on and take off, the design does'nt really allow for you to check that it's installed correctly other than it looks right.

mahatmacoat
8th Jul 2007, 08:17
Did anyone see the Rego?

Torqueman
8th Jul 2007, 08:19
Yeah just caught the news. Leading egde pylon panel by the sound of it.
767. They didn't give a rego or anything. Investigations to be carried out though. Just for something different!

Wonder if they had a recent nose cowl or engine change?

Qantas will immediately look for someone to reprimand no doubt.

Bet the planners are delving through the archives as i type this. :ouch:

Torqueman
8th Jul 2007, 08:25
Has someone stuffed up? Really so quick to blame.

Maybe that is most likely the cause, however let's not rule out the part failing and just falling off. Could happen you know.

You have passed the test and may now graduate to Qantas Management.:D:D:D:D

Buster Hyman
8th Jul 2007, 08:33
I'm just waiting for CASA to jump the gun & ground the entire fleet!:hmm:

They have form you know....

Torqueman
8th Jul 2007, 08:38
That's very funny. Funny cause it's so true.

Never mind i'm sure the poor bugger meant to put it on wrong. LOL:O

B A Lert
8th Jul 2007, 09:33
Rego looked like OGQ .

Toluene Diisocyanate
8th Jul 2007, 09:40
Qantas has the biggest blame shifting mentality imaginable. Bet they sack the LAME "responsible".

Buster Hyman
8th Jul 2007, 09:43
Nah, they'll just demand an apology from Boeing.

Howard Hughes
8th Jul 2007, 09:51
Didn't quite catch the last letter on the news but definately one of the Oscar Golfs!

Ouch.:ooh:

THREEBLADEPROP
8th Jul 2007, 11:24
Check out this headline :rolleyes: So a fairing falls off an engine, the whole plane is falling apart is it. I think Qantas has grounds for suing. This is blatent false reporting. Articles like this can tarnish a company's reputation :=
Fears as Qantas plane falls apart
July 08, 2007 07:19pm
Article from: AAPFont size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
QANTAS has moved to reassure passengers they were in no danger when an engine part fell from a Boeing 767 as it landed in Melbourne today.
An engine fairing panel - a portion of the engine cover - dislodged from the plane when QF 415 touched down in Melbourne from Sydney around 9.30am (AEST) today.
Qantas engineering executive general manager David Cox said the incident was reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.
"There was no safety issue at any time and the aircraft returned to service at 3.30 (AEST) this afternoon,'' he said.
"We take safety extremely seriously at Qantas and this incident will be investigated.''

Zhaadum
8th Jul 2007, 11:31
Who cares? Qantas has tarnished its own reputation quite enough recently by itself!

Z.

THREEBLADEPROP
8th Jul 2007, 11:49
I know what you mean Z, but still doesn't excuse blatant sensationalist false reporting. One thing for a company to tarnish it's own image, another for a newspaper to do it through false reporting. I hope QF sues over this, at least it would teach these journos to pull their heads in.

THE IRON MAIDEN
8th Jul 2007, 12:59
Well if it fell off on the landing, Im guessing somone dropped the 76 from 50'!

hahahaha I'm surprised some of the passengers are suing Qantas for some whiplash. wait a second... I have a pain in my neck.... pitty I wasnt on board.

Zhaadum
8th Jul 2007, 14:52
TBP Fair point mate. Journos in this country will always beat up a story anyway. I agree with you that it is unacceptable behaviour.

However one could say the same of many lawyers, politicians and businessmen who exaggerate, mislead or otherwise outright lie to the public on a daily basis. Way of the world nowadays I guess.

Give them an inch....

Z.

RENURPP
8th Jul 2007, 22:04
QANTAS has moved to reassure passengers they were in no danger when an engine part fell from a Boeing 767 as it landed in Melbourne today.
An engine fairing panel - a portion of the engine cover - dislodged from the plane when QF 415 touched down in Melbourne from Sydney around 9.30am (AEST) today.
Qantas engineering executive general manager David Cox said the incident was reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.
"There was no safety issue at any time and the aircraft returned to service at 3.30 (AEST) this afternoon,'' he said.
"We take safety extremely seriously at Qantas and this incident will be investigated.''

What am I missing. It all appears above board to me??

max autobrakes
11th Jul 2007, 08:49
I think David Cox may have been misquoted by the Jorno's once again.
What he probably meant to say was " Qantas now stands for Profitability before Safety before Schedule!" :)

The Mr Fixit
11th Jul 2007, 12:14
Info Chuck,
Plenty of 767s have been O/S for Maint at least one per calender year (over the last 20 years) don't let the Aussie airline fool ya they luvvvvvvv the asian bargains they get but youve got to ask yourself how long do toys from asia last ?

K9P
13th Jul 2007, 00:04
I remember back to the time when Ansett had the 74 land with the nose gear retracted, there was an article written about it in the Herald Sun by their "Aviation Writer".
The context was something like this :- it was lucky that it had been raining and the runway was wet, because sparks from the nose dragging could have started a fire, because the wings were wet with fuel as they had to dump fuel from the tanks to land.
Now I know a little of aviation so I can tell you this is an absoulute crock,
so how much do I read in the press and know nothing about and go, "Oh My God! that's bad!"?