PDA

View Full Version : English test on your day off

fo4ever
8th Jul 2007, 07:01
This is the reason why we need to go in on a day off and waste time taking an English test:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2007/06/28/vause.china.air.chinglish.cnn

Cheers China

Jumeirah James
8th Jul 2007, 07:20
I'm English and the JFK Controller's even shout at me :hmm:

As for going in on your DO, get the Office to schedule you for it. It works for the Pelesys training.

Sal-e
8th Jul 2007, 07:24
It goes both ways. I've heard some pretty dodgy controlling over the Subcontinent, ME and Mediterranean.

Farrell
8th Jul 2007, 08:34
It's not just the Chinese! Have a listen to most SE Asian carriers, the Russians and Eastern Europeans, our friends in France and Spain, South America, India, the Middle East and Africa.....everyone is getting better, but there is still a long way to go.....but you only have until March next year to reach the standard!

Be careful on that English test. Even if you are a native speaker.
If it is one that is certifying you to the new ICAO standards then you will need to demonstrate competency in two main areas:

Proper use of English in routine and non-routine situations....i.e. describing something that happened and what steps you took to remedy it.

And...proper use of ICAO phraseology. This is where some native speakers or near native speakers are dropping an ICAO level.

Brush up in yer RT folks!!