PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam-Missing helicopters?

SASless
8th Jul 2007, 06:36
I have travelled the length of Vietnam over the past few weeks from Hanoi to Saigon......:ok::ok:

I have seen two Huey''s and one Chinook....all on static display. None heard or seen flying and only two small single-engined fixed wing aircraft seen flying.

What a difference compared to other places in the world.

Headed home tonight......:{:{:{

NickLappos
8th Jul 2007, 07:13
As they say, kimo sabe, "Welcome home!" That's three times you've returned from Vietnam more or less in one piece, isn't it?

Whirlygig
8th Jul 2007, 07:45
I have seen two Huey''s and one Chinook

They heard you were coming!! :}

Cheers

Whirls

helicopter-redeye
8th Jul 2007, 08:16
All in Sheffield helping with the floods ... :sad:

ajm81
8th Jul 2007, 14:53
There is plenty at Vung tau, Mils, EC 155s and the odd Super Puma. There were also 4 mils sitting at the Hanoi heliport in November.
There are 2 Hueys on display within a few hundred meteres in the middle of Saigon, must be the odd broken one on display out in the scrub to.

SASless
9th Jul 2007, 01:11
Nick,

That is true....and gladly went knowing I had a much better chance of getting home in one piece this time.

I will give you the full brief after getting home......there are some splendid places to take the Missus for a holiday.

We flew into Hanoi, spent two days there....I have now seen two of three heads of communist states done in wax....Mao in China and Ho in Hanoi.

mlc
9th Jul 2007, 10:04
I remember seeing a tv programme on Vietnam a few years ago. On the approach to one of the airports (can't remember which) there were a large number of rotting C130s.

(Or perhaps I dreamt it! )

heli1
9th Jul 2007, 11:14
No..you probably didn't dream it.There are/were a lot of US aircraft still around..in fact Chinooks and Hueys were still being flown until recently according to locals,using brand new spares still in sealed containers.

Red Wine
9th Jul 2007, 13:08
Being a broken down Old Rotary Bloke.....where in the Hell did you get the $$$ to go on Holidays??

Is this a 2nd Mid Life crisis??

Brilliant Stuff
9th Jul 2007, 18:22
heli1 these brand new spares were they left behind by the USARMY when they left in the 70's ?

heli1
10th Jul 2007, 13:39
Brilliant Stuff......Yep..loads of spares and aircraft donated by a generous US government when they decided to leave.Brand new engines in sealed boxes,rotor blades and complete aircraft ,enough to keep you flying for years if you had the contacts.

heli1
10th Jul 2007, 14:57
Sorry Outhouse...Could only find one with Jane Fonda and Nancy Sinatra,singing " These boots were made for waliking "!