PDA

View Full Version : The R.A.F

LiamGTR
7th Jul 2007, 17:20
Hello all, I know I am only 16 and currently do not work as I have just left school...

But I am asking you all, do any of you have any information on the fitness tests for the RAF please ?

I am currently training to be in the R.A.F but I haven't a clue what the tests are based on so i'm basically training blindfolded at the minute with no goals (I'm the sort of person who needs his goal for something to aim to...http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/images/smilies/new/blahblah.gif )

Yes i've phoned them up... and the careers office, but none of them (not even the information pack they sent me) can provide me with any information regarding the fitness test required to pass to get a job in the R.A.F

If it makes a difference, I am looking to be a Personal Training Instructor...

Thank you in advance, this will prove to be very useful to me, Liam http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Maude Charlee
7th Jul 2007, 17:39
Your best bet would be to ask this question in the Military Forum, if you haven't already.

This forum is for the salad dodgers and wannabee beer guzzlers like me. :}

Locarno
7th Jul 2007, 18:54
It's easy
Run a mile and a half in 13 minutes and do 15 continuous press-ups.
Hope this helps.
(Oh and in OAT they make you do loads of shuttle runs, but thats no in the requirements, it's just to see how much they'd have to spend training you)

EDIT : Just read you want to be a personal fitness instructor - this is INCREDIBLY hard to get into. The requirements are still the same, but you're gonna have to be fitter than fit. I know the fittest people in the world and they got knocked back - don't let that dishearten you, someone's gotta do it. Give it your best shot.

LiamGTR
8th Jul 2007, 09:48
Thank you Maude Charlee I will do that next

And Locarno What else do you need to do to become a P.T.I ?

StrateandLevel
8th Jul 2007, 11:06
The RAF does not have Personal Training Instructors, only Physical Training Instructors. http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/phystraininginstructor.cfm

LiamGTR
8th Jul 2007, 11:26
I know, I am sorry I did mean Phyical :ugh:

Locarno
8th Jul 2007, 11:55
The main thing they look for is that you can prove this is what you want to do -and all you have ever wanted to do.

Something that everything in your life has built up to this moment.

I.e the guy I know what the number1 cyclist in Scotland - he still didn't get in.

Best thing to do is contact your local careers office, I don't really know much about PTIs, I just was interested in either pilot or ATC when I tried to join.

maxdrypower
8th Jul 2007, 12:36
The main thing you need is the ability to look silly wearing tracksuits bottoms and leather polished shoes with a beret. You will also only be outdone in the "Being ignored" stakes by the RAF Police , The only time anyone takes any notice of a PTI is during recruit or trade training and that is because they have to. Sorry to put you off but it really is a shxt job and its not one of the well paid ones, if you must join the raf do it as aircrew . Ive never seen a group of people as bored as our PTI's , out of of flight of four 3 of ours remustered to NCO aircrew

LiamGTR
8th Jul 2007, 13:19
Thank you for all your information everybody, it is all being noted and I am in 2 minds about what to do/go for now as everybody is giving me different oppinions on everything

I have always wanted to be a P.T.I, even before I applied to be a Marine Engineer

maxdrypower
8th Jul 2007, 13:39
Matey I was in the RAF for seven years both non com and com. At that time the majority of PTI's were are cosford swinderby cranwell and halton .Training bases where they mainly supervised beastings for newbies . On stations they are essentially gym trustees if you like. They run the odd circuit class etc etc but in the main they do a lot of admin . There are, or were in my day excellent opportunities to do all manner of exciting things , parachuting PJI's all the extreme stuff , however that was before everybody started getting deployed to the various sandpits . I know all this as one of my buddies in the mob was a PTO . My Brother in law if a personal trainer and earns a fortune having done just about every course he can .He has contracts with gyms celebrities and private persons. If you want to do physical training you might as well get paid a decent wage for doing , which you wont get as a mob PTI .If you have the intelligence and means to become a marine engineer matey then I would do that. You can still be involved in fitness in civvy street and wont be tied to a contract with the military . You will also be able to train people who actually want to be , at recruit training iotc or whatever no one wants to be there really they just see it as another yes staff no staff hurdle they have to put up with to achieve their goal .
At the end of the day if you think standing in front of 50 bored pissed off recruits and shouting "With a jump left turn" pointing to the right and watching one poor sap turning the wrong way is the funniest thing you have ever seen then great go for it.Otherwise get a good qaulification in a decent field good luck
Flying aircarft is far more fun than making someone who does do a mile an a half in 13 minutes

LiamGTR
8th Jul 2007, 13:50
You put up a great arguement maxdrypower, and I am interested in all aspects of sport and fitness and I do want to train people, but I also want to train people that WANT to be trained

So what would you think would be the best career path for me in your oppinion please ? (and anybody else's for that matter)

maxdrypower
8th Jul 2007, 14:01
I and perhaps everyone else on here is going to slightly biased , bearing in mind you are in the pilots rumour network . I always found in strange that people joined the RAF to not have anything to do with aircraft , ie PTI, admin , police , chef , the list goes on .If you have to join the air force do it a Pilot or nav , failing that non com aircrew, If you dont wish to fly then get a university bursary get an engineering degree then join as an engineering officer . Its really your choice mate your 16 the world is your oyster . I would put marine engineering , or any other sort of engineering way above PTI in the forces . Its not one of the lowest paid trade groups for nothing
There is an RAF site you can go on where PTI's may give you a better insight .Im not sure what its called something to do with an angry goat or something .
Just remember if you stroll into a military careers office you will not get the truth the whole truth and nothing but etc etc

maxdrypower
8th Jul 2007, 14:03
http://www.e-goat.co.uk/
Found it , have a look at this site this will help you more that perhaps we can there is even a PTI thread

LiamGTR
8th Jul 2007, 14:12
Thanks a lot mate,greatly appreciated :)

moggiee
8th Jul 2007, 23:29
I have always wanted to be a P.T.I, even before I applied to be a Marine Engineer
I would have thought that the Army might be a better bet - they love all that running around kind of stuff.