PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull air races in Perth

Rossian
7th Jul 2007, 16:31
A'rternoon all
Well it's PM here in rainy Scotland. Madame has just noticed while trawling the net that the above titled race is on while we are visiting our niece in Ocean Reef. Is this a regular event and is it any good? Where might be the best vantage points? If it is I (we) might build it into our schedule. All gen gratefully received.
apologies for a knackered old maritime aviator intruding into your hallowed portals.
The Ancient Mariner

Sqwark2000
7th Jul 2007, 21:15
Rossian,

Haven't had the pleasure myself, but I believe it is a regular event after it's debut in Perth last year. had a couple of mates travel from NZ and they said it was awesome and well worth the trip. The race course is on the main river in, if not, near the city centre and I believe vantage points are easy to come by from both sides of the river.

If it's on coincident with your visit, I'm sure you won't be disappointed adding it to your itinerary.

S2K

Aquaplaner
7th Jul 2007, 22:33
The best vantage point is from the South Perth Foreshore. If you are staying at Ocean Reef you can drive but traffic and parking can be a nightmare. Alternatively get the train into the city, then the ferry from the Barrack Street Jetty to the Mends Street Jetty in South Perth. The round trip will cost about $8.00.
Make sure you bring a hat and sunscreen! It is a great day out:ok:

Capn Bloggs
8th Jul 2007, 00:56
A WOFTAM. 60 minutes of flying decompressed into 6 hours.The only good thing last year was the RAAF F-18. Absolutely superb.

Agent86
8th Jul 2007, 01:12
Agree with Bloggs (I do that sometimes!) If you just want to see the Red Bull teams strut their stuff ...go down on the practices days. Less people, easy parking.
The event last year had large breaks between the aerial entertainment where all you could do was get/provide your entertainment from/for the people around you. Combine that with no readily available schedule of events and you had lots of people leaving during the gaps thinking that it was all over.
Hopefully this year will be better.

chad sexington
8th Jul 2007, 01:32
Probably more for enthusiasts than practitioners, seen it many times at airshows and on tv, they look like RC planes, if you're into motor racing (watching that is) it might be ok.
Agree about the fast jet, well worth seeing.

BrazDriver
8th Jul 2007, 03:42
Last year was good, like stated previously there was too many gaps. The event organizers did a pretty poor job getting the word out there, and the event was poorly managed. A riot almost broke out at the start of the paddock walk with poorly informed security guards, and there was not enough food and drink on sale and the Red Bull products were sold out by 10am! Not enough sound towers for commentary too. They really underestimated the crowd by a long way. Hopefully they do a better job this year!

nearlynormalmike
8th Jul 2007, 04:06
I agree with Capt. Bloggs. The last race day was a lot of time waiting in the sun for something to happen.

Go to the restaurant or one of the bars at the Barrack St. Jetty on practice days.

solowflyer
8th Jul 2007, 05:25
Did not get to see the races but was in perth on the day for a flight east made the mistake of not booking any accomadation and nearly had top sleep on the road side due to all of perth being booked out. Luckly managed to break into a friends house who was away. BOOK EARLY

The Original Jetpipe
8th Jul 2007, 08:03
Hi, Sorry to nick the thread!

But just checked the Red Bull website, and it seems that London is the only place charging people to watch the race!!! Typical! At least it might be better organised than last year!!

TOJP

Minosavy Masta
8th Jul 2007, 09:13
Rossian...I suppose you are aware that its Perth Western Australia...not Scotland!! I just get the feeling all the posters have missed the obvious here ;)

Rossian
8th Jul 2007, 10:06
MM
Indeed I do; being of a generation that was actually taught geography facts. Madame and I are in WA for three and a half weeks staying with our niece as part of our round the world trip post building a new house - this is the unwind.
Thanks all for the tips I think we'll include it. I like the idea of sitting on a jetty in the sun drinking beer - you guys DO have warm flat beer specially for Poms don't you?
The Ancient Mariner

BrazDriver
8th Jul 2007, 12:18
Since when did Perth, Scotland have a suburb called ''Ocean Reef??''

nearlynormalmike
9th Jul 2007, 02:20
I can recommend Halo's on the Barrack St. Jetty. We lucked on to this spot during practice last time. Best view going, and if you leave your beer alone long enough, it'll go flat and warm for you.

www.halocafe.com.au

cap71n
9th Jul 2007, 11:08
go, Go, GO!! Assuming you can pay for your ride to Perth, Australia, then you can also afford corporate tickets?? 'Free' food, never ran out of drinks (or red bull products) and the best view - no cramped beach for you!

VH-BOX
12th Jul 2007, 04:52
This is a 2 year contract only, the next will be the last in Perth unless the contract is renewed. I agree with all those who said go on a practice day. You can get in among the aircraft, talk to the pilots, and generally be more than an immobile sardine with a cricked neck. For practice days the place to be is Langley Park where the a/c operate from. Langley Park was once Perth's main airport, and is only a few hundred yards from the city center. You will be able to park almost on top of it, and it is only a couple of hundred yards from the foreshore where you can see the gates and action. Take a seat to sit on and an esky full of cold beer and you will have a great time.