PDA

View Full Version : What to ask for in the ME

captainzero1
7th Jul 2007, 15:22
When negotiating a job in the Middle East, what are some of the things I should be asking for in the contract?

NZ X man
10th Jul 2007, 00:11
A commute schedule if at all possible, fully furnished flat in a compound, not some side street, so that you have access to other expats, the gym, store, tennis courts, pool, nothing else should be accepted. Tax free salary, company car with fuel, medical anywhere you fly, and if you cannot get a commute schedule, at least 45 days off per year, business class tickets to and from home and training. Minimum of $100 per diem per day whislt on the road, $100 per day if you are on a commute schedule , because you will probably be staying in a hotel, and minimum 4 star or better accomidations, unless they give you a lump sum for per diem and hotel then you can afford to take a lesser hotel and pocket the difference.

If its is your first time there, you have to set standerds early in the game or you will be stuck with what you get forever and ever. And what ever you do do not fly unsafely or with bad conditions, that works well in negiotiations, because even the Middle Eastern folks understand the safety of their ass.

Did I miss much guys!

Good Luck

mutt
10th Jul 2007, 03:59
Ask for defined salary payment date.
Ask for defined expenses payment method
Ask for recurrent training expenses if contract long enough.
Ask for compound facilities to include high speed internet or free is staying in a hotel.
Ask for the right to bring your family to visit.

Mutt

Itswindyout
10th Jul 2007, 04:32
It is important to remember your pending total change of life style.
Dubai, is totally different to almost all of the Middle East.
Beirut is so different too.
The lists provided so far are comprehensive.
As Mutt stated the free internet when in the hotels is 101% critical, Communications with family works via your lap top.
A commute schedule is slowly entering the Middle East, most are 11 on 1 off.
Getting your family visits organised, and covered by the company is a good point, but not often included.
There is a big difference in employers, some are major players, and very good, and others are very small and very good. ASK the guys on the ground, before you join the team.
Even then you could get it wrong...
windy

BBCapt
10th Jul 2007, 14:40
Air Conditioning!

Itswindyout
11th Jul 2007, 20:50
cheaper to run than an AC unit.....

windy

StressFree
14th Jul 2007, 13:45
As someone who has just spent the last week in the Four Seasons hotel in Riyadh I can totally agree with Mutt that free internet is ESSENTIAL as you'll be using it a lot...............:eek: