PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Splashes in Bohai Bay.

Fareastdriver
6th Jul 2007, 23:38
A helicopter on charter to Phillips Oil, probably a S76A+ struck the sea whilst approaching a rig in Bohai Bay, north east China. The pilot reported they were hit by a strong downdraft on the approach and were driven into the water. They recovered to a ten foot hover and all seemed normal.. This was followed by a slow transition forward and as everything was making the right noises they flew it slowly back to Tanguu.
What state the aircraft is in I don't know but the u/c mountings on the 76 aren't the strongest in the world and the stop pin on the torqumeter is probably bent.

Nigel Osborn
7th Jul 2007, 08:36
The 76 would have to have one of the strongest under carriage systems in the business; certainly stronger than skids. If it touched down briefly on the water, why would the u/c be damaged?:confused:

Fareastdriver
9th Jul 2007, 11:20
I'm not comparing it with skids. In about 1983 a S76 in an operation I was with keeled over on a helideck because the undercarriage mounting had broken away from the fuselarge structure. Most large hellicopters I have flown can take much more punishmment than a 76 and the 332L has a navy undercarriage that can take a 900ft/min hit. Irrespective of that to dip the gear into the water with more than minimal airspeed on is going to put enormous stresses on the legs because they are expecting the wheels to go around.

Fareastdriver
19th Jul 2007, 02:02
Severely crunched, apparently. Extensive damage to undercarriage, undercarriage doors, flotation gear, landing light torn off, water in the cabin and reportedly a cracked boom. Give the aircraft it's due, however, it got back to Tanguu even though it wasn't feeling very well. There are mentions of 3000ft/min ROD. I've been out here for some considerable time and hit some real whoppers but nothing like that. You can see them them on the water, the spume is spraying out like a Catherine Wheel. I don't avoid them. I FLEE from them. Sometimes I thank God I've got a handful of Makilas.