PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to finish JAA ATPL exams before starting flying?

finallyflying
6th Jul 2007, 22:38
This relates to the conversion from an ICAO CPL MEIR to JAA fATPL

Do I have to pass all 14 exams before I can actually start the flying for the CPL skills test and 15 hrs IR training?

Have looked long and hard but cant seem to find an answer to this ...

Cheers guys

FF:bored:

YYZ_Instructor
6th Jul 2007, 23:03
Unfortunately yes.

Life's a Beech
6th Jul 2007, 23:19
Not quite true, unless they changed the rules recently. Before the tests, yes. Before the training, no. Most schools strongly suggest otherwise, but it was not the rules.

Brian304
7th Jul 2007, 01:52
Well you don't need to finish all 14 exams before the starting of the CPL training, but in order for you to do your skills test you would need to finish all 14 exams and passed them all, or no skills test I guess. But if you did do that, you'lld be living on the edge abit, because if somthing went wrong, then you burning money cause your going to need more time to resit some exams, and also needing to keep current aswell. Well thats the only advice for me, bedtime...

Brian304

finallyflying
7th Jul 2007, 06:16
Thanks for the replies guys ...

So for example's sake ... ,

I am studying now for my ATPL writtens (14) and will sit the exams in two goes ... with a four week break between.

So I could actually get going on the 15 hours IF flying and some famil flying for the CPL handling during the downtime I have in the four week break - and all going well, do the flight tests as soon as I have the results slip in my hand?

On that note, anyone know how long it takes for the ATPL papers to be marked by the CAA?

Cheers again

FF

Whirlygig
7th Jul 2007, 08:08
The results are out just after the entry date for the resit exams!!! You can't enter for a resit until you have your results (even if you know you've stoofed), therefore, there ends up being a gap of two months between exams and resits.

So, if you fail any exams, starting your flying training might be a little premature.

Cheers

Whirls

Curtis E Carr
7th Jul 2007, 08:29
From LASORS

Before undertaking the Skill Test, the applicant shall have passed the associated theoretical knowledge examination (exceptions may be made by the CAA for applicants undergoing a course of integrated flying training), and completed all of the related flying training