PDA

View Full Version : Strange Light Effect over HK

lepremier
6th Jul 2007, 02:12
Anyone notice a strange light effect in the sky over Hong Kong/S. China last night? On the way up to Beijing and just passing over Hong Kong when we noticed quite a bright diffused sort of white light appear, a bit like the moon coming out from behind the clouds, except no moon and no high clouds. It got brighter before changing into a misty sort of trail behind a white point of light. The trail also reminded me a bit of a shock wave behind a high speed object. I would say very high altitude traveling from west to east at 1215 utc ( 2000 HK time). I don’t think it was re-entry debris as there was no burn up and it seemed to be at a constant, very high level. Maybe a comet but the very sharp point of white light at the front seemed to rule that out.
Any ideas guys….?

CV Donator
6th Jul 2007, 03:10
I saw it also, captured it on camera . Thought I was being called up into the heavens....

Fenwicksgirl
6th Jul 2007, 03:58
Yep got a good look at it. I too thought a fireball was heading my way!!
Closer examination though, it appeared to be a very bright and powerfull laser(?) light coming out of Macau!! I think the clouds in the area gave it that extra special shock wave effect.

lepremier
6th Jul 2007, 04:07
I don't think it was a laser as we tracked the "object" after the initial light show for about two minutes. Could have been a satellite just caught by the sun's rays?? Will have a look on "Heavens Above" to see what's around at the moment.

Kane Toed
6th Jul 2007, 04:51
CV can you post the picture please?

Fenwicksgirl
6th Jul 2007, 06:00
Well we noticed a "ray" similar to a spotlight coming from Macau. I must admit though, it looked weird!!

CV Donator
6th Jul 2007, 06:05
Sure,however, I'm not sure how to transfer the image from my mobile phone. I need to get with the modern age.

MinimaNoContact
6th Jul 2007, 06:22
Mobile phone eh.... mustve been in flight mode, surely! :}

CV Donator
6th Jul 2007, 06:58
Taken from the heart of the Brush Stroke barracks fella:}

CV Donator
6th Jul 2007, 07:05
www.msnusers.com/my%20web%20documents/documents/pictures

Kane Toed
6th Jul 2007, 09:51
where there is dots there should be letters me thinks... Looks like a 'snipped URL' (which doesn't mean that it can't have little url's)

CV Donator
6th Jul 2007, 11:00
www.msnusers.com/my%20web%20documents/documents/pictures. Now I'm off for a pint.

sleepercell
7th Jul 2007, 01:54
So glad others saw it to.

We were at FL380 at about 2000 LT, tracking Kadlo to Elato and it passed down our right hand side. Very high and very fast, I would guess it was well up in the Stratosphere and doing Mach 3+.

At first we thought it was a full moon coming through the clouds as we flew towards the setting sun......but there where no clouds, just a fireball.

As it got closer it reminded me of when I saw Hayleys comet in the mid 90's. It glowed, was holding a constant trajectory and appeared to have a 'tail'.

As it passed abeam us the setting sun reflected off whatever it was and the sunlight was refracting through two really powerfull shockwaves....looked like a perfect V.

There was a secondry glow directly behind the object creating the shockwaves, in hindsight I think it was refraction through a strong contrail.

It then disappeared into the night over Taiwan.

I've had a good think about it, it was in the Earths atomsphere as it was creating a powerfull shockwave.......so therefore couldn't have been a satelite.

The only craft that would have the same sort of effect on the atomsphere would be a re-entering space shuttle, (this thing was maintaining level flight however)......the space shuttle was on the ground and I believe it re-enters the atomsphere as it nears the west coast of the US anyway.

So I don't know......need some help here.

I would guess the SR-71 going balls to the wall would have looked something like what we saw......but that has been retired for years.

Definitely NOT a laser from Macau:D

womble006
7th Jul 2007, 08:31
didnt the Chinese fire a rocket about this time?

BAMRA wake up
7th Jul 2007, 09:10
Can't get into the photos either, but going on the description I'd put my money on a meteor, or space debris.

There's a well known piece of film from, I think, the early 70's of a large meteor which grazed the atmosphere and was easily visible in daylight.

Glass Half Empty
7th Jul 2007, 22:36
Perhaps it is Aurora on a quick flight

sleepercell
10th Jul 2007, 04:12
That would explain it, from what I saw this thing was in controlled flight.

Didn't they can the Aurora program in the early 90's because it cost 1 billion USD each time it took off?

Before you ask....no it wasn't a martian flying saucer :ok:

AAIGUY
10th Jul 2007, 06:46
I can't imagine the American retired the SR71 without a replacement. I mean have they not managed to build ANYTHING since the 60's/70's??
Too secret to let out.
Can we please have the photos!!!

FlexibleResponse
10th Jul 2007, 11:08
Just imagine, a very high speed manned vehicle operating on the fringe of the atmosphere...Now wouldn't that be a national asset!

Chilli Tarts
11th Jul 2007, 08:40
Still waiting patiently for a photo? anyone?
:hmm:

HotDog
11th Jul 2007, 10:22
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m246/adamtakach/norwoodsmall.jpg

Kim-Sharman
11th Jul 2007, 17:41
For what it's worth, this would not be the first time something like this has happened. I was just past Elato inbound at night in a L1011 when ATC began diverting aircraft left right and centre! Turned out it was a couple of Russian Bears blundering along the centre of the airway, presumably from Vietnam to Vladivostok. Cold war days!

LapSap
11th Jul 2007, 18:10
Still happens- normally the Yanks though. If you're lucky enough to get a response its usually something like "US military aircraft operating in International waters with due regard -out". :yuk:

BlunderBus
12th Jul 2007, 08:10
Steve Wynn opened his wallet!!