PDA

View Full Version : ppl exam places i the UK

brs
6th Jul 2007, 00:42
Hi everybody

next year i start at OBA to take my jar ppl at OBA in ormond beach aviation and I would like to know if somebody know if it is possible too 6 month before going too the US,take some of the exams so it wont get to stressfull...

forexampel if I could take 2 or 3 exams in UK this winter it would mean at munch easeir workload in the US

best regards

brs

cirruscrystal
6th Jul 2007, 01:41
definately make your life easier to get them out of the way before so you can focus on your flying - dont know about timescales though.

coodem
6th Jul 2007, 03:40
Well if people manage them in the 3 weeks they are there, ontop of all the flying, 6 months will be very easy, I did mine in around a week, just before I went to OBA.
Get yourself the trevor thom books or the Jeremy Pratt books, depends which one you prefer. (I suggest ebay) Also get the confuser. This will give you loads of very similar questions, then go along to your local FTO and ask to take the exam, you pay them £20-£25 per exam

OBA won't credit you anything for taking the exams prior, but I assure you, you won't regret it

I also suggest getting a few lessons before you go, this will let a lot sink in before you go and also make life easier

brs
6th Jul 2007, 03:52
but does`nt anybody know where and how i get in contact with some scholls where I can do it

dont I, on most FTO have to been on there course too go too the exam..

difficult too explain.....

brs

maxdrypower
6th Jul 2007, 09:39
Not quite sure I fully understand what you were asking in your second paragraph there mate . I think your asking where you can contact them and do you have to do your ppl with them to take the exam . If this is the case goto any of the avaition publication sites flyer, pilot , todays pilot they will all have links to flying schools somewhere .Or failing that look in the back of any of them they have dozens of flying school adverts . You could even look in the yellow pages or just pitch up at your local airfield and ask . The Exam fees are a requirement of the CAA some schools give a fixed price for a ppl this includes the exam fees , If you are not on such a package then you can turn up at a flying school and ask to take the exam , they will charge you the going rate which Coodem has given you . You will enjoy learning to fly much more especially in florida if you can enjoy your evenings rather than studying . If you have a year then get the exams done prior to going away just remember that there is a time limit ont he exams should you not go next year I thinkits 36 months from date of first exam pass so you should be ok

Whirlygig
6th Jul 2007, 09:46
I did my a few of my exams in advance of startng a full time PPL and at a school that was not the one at which I trained!

I rang up one well-known Southern England flying school and they said "No, - I had to have trained with them".

Then I just rang up a local flying school, asked them, they pondered and thought about it as no-one had ever asked them before and said, "OK, come along Saturday!"

Just ask! Might say yes, might say no.

Cheers

Whirls

BEagle
6th Jul 2007, 10:38
Exams taken where I instruct are free (for the first attempt) for students training with us.

For those who wish only to take the exams, then train elsewhere, the fee is the same as the CAA would charge - £45 per attempt per paper.

brs
6th Jul 2007, 15:07
HI BEagle

I am interrested in your school and therefore would like too know where the school is

best regards

brs

davey147
6th Jul 2007, 16:22
I did my PPL exams prior to the course in the USA at MultiFlight in Leeds, they didnt even ask whether I planned on doing the PPL with them or not, they just let me take the exams, I also did the RTF course with them too.

brs
6th Jul 2007, 16:45
Hi
does anybody have some websites for thoes flight schools??

best regards

brs

maxdrypower
6th Jul 2007, 16:48
Just do a search mate

brs
7th Jul 2007, 12:49
HI

does everybody know where too find a flight school naer stansted and gatwick

easyjet,sterling and ryandoes flying too thoes cities and if i can find a ppl jar school there and take 2-3 exams it could bee a very big help

have done a search but without luck....

best regards

brs

Whirlygig
7th Jul 2007, 12:58
The aerodromes with flying schools near to Gatwick would be Redhill and Biggin Hill; near to Stansted would be Cambridge.

Gatwick and Stansted themselves do not have any flying clubs/schools as far as I am aware.

Cheers

Whirls

EGMC
7th Jul 2007, 14:17
I did mine for £10 a pop, so shop around if there are a few locally.
... and ask if a re-take is free or re-charged [hopefully you wont need to resort to re-takes though as the answers are given to you... welll kind of!]. But doing them before you go WILL free up your time and brain for flying and preparing for the air-time.

brs
7th Jul 2007, 14:59
hi egmc

what school did you go too....

10 pounds is very cheap...

is it possible to, somewhere in the Uk, to go to a quick course in ppl syllabus...perhaps duration about 10 days or less/more.

best wishes

brs

DBisDogOne
9th Jul 2007, 21:02
Do as many of your exams in before you go. The more you do, the easier time you'll have in the states. I did all my exams in the US in just over two weeks but it was a real head-f**k and meant I was rather anti-social because I was always studying, including spending 16hrs on xmas day studying for my Nav exam.:zzz:

The more you do here will mean you can relax and take in what you've learned rather than cram you brain to over-load. Also, not everyone is good at exams and high pressure study, so be honest with yourself as to whether you are capable or not.
Even if you don't do them all, every little helps.

Also, the Wx in Florida is not as consistanly good as they'll have you believe :hmm:. I lost six days in just over three weeks, so allow four weeks.:=

Good luck

brs
10th Jul 2007, 03:41
i have mailed with bigginhill flightschool /cabair and they want 35.25 pound per pll exam...so thats the only one i have at the moment so i think i will take that one for the tests

best too you all.

brs

brs
13th Jul 2007, 11:11
can anybody tell me something about the jaa pll human perf. exam,technical,flight planning and communications exam

is the confuser good help....

brs

coodem
13th Jul 2007, 11:36
You need to buy the trevor thom or Jeremy Pratt books, study those, and then use the confuser to test yourself, and prepare yourself for the exams

Don't try to do it all via the confuser, you might be lucky and pass the exams, but you will have no idea of a lot of things required in the real world

brs
14th Jul 2007, 12:34
hi

just for info:multiflight wants 12 pound per ppl jaa exam, which i think is very cheap

does anubody know how too come from gatwick too multiflight in leeds???

best too you all

brs

brs
22nd Jul 2007, 19:43
hi again

is the ppl confuser and the trevor thom books enought for passing the writen comm. exam ?

have heard that the caa doc. 413 is good too study??? but it is more then 198 pages more...

best too you all....

brs

captain_rossco
22nd Jul 2007, 20:26
Thom books are good, confuser is decent but ridden with grammatical and factual errors. Most can self teach using the above, you'll be fine.

Regards

CR

FriendlyHelper
8th Aug 2007, 13:26
All UK PPL Training Facilities registered with the UK CAA can be found in Standards Document 30 via www.caa.co.uk\fclstandards (http://www.caa.co.uk\fclstandards)

This document also includes those schools registered to provide Ground Theoretical training only, which will help with the earlier thread. :ok: