PDA

View Full Version : airfield near lake como, italy

A330 Dreamer
6th Jul 2007, 00:24
Can anyone tell me what the nearest airfield to lake como is and if any airline operates to it from the U.K?

I believe ryanair operate to milan and its an 80(ish) mile drive from there?

cavortingcheetah
6th Jul 2007, 05:02
:hmm:

Well, there's Milan and then there's Milan all over again. Milan has at least three airports, Malpensa, Linate and Orio al Serio.
Orio al Serio is actually to the east of the city of Bergamo and is only known as Milan in order to bolster trade. It is, by the way, a wonderful city whereas Milan, despite being the shoe capital of Italy, has its drawbacks.
Anyway, from Bergamo, Orio al Serio, to Lake Como is a far easier and quicker drive than from either of the other two Milanese airports. Do not be deluded by the presence on the map of big red autostradas. The traffic around Milan, no matter how many the carriageways, can be among the slowest in Europe.
So, fly to Bergamo or Milan, Orio al Serio.

Anyway, here is their website;

http://www.sacbo.it/Airpor/portalProcess.jsp

It would appear that Ryanair fly there from Stansted. If you do go there and land on the westerly runway on a sunny day, you could reflect upon the proximity of the alps and the importance of speed control in turns, lest radius be extended beyond that which would be comfortable.
Enjoy the trip.:)

helopat
6th Jul 2007, 09:26
Can anyone tell me what the nearest airfield to lake como is and if any airline operates to it from the U.K?

I believe ryanair operate to milan and its an 80(ish) mile drive from there?

Malpensa is just a stones throw south of Lake Como. Linate is a little further (around to the south of Milan). Airlines operate to both...British Airways operates to Linate and Malpensa...not sure what others.

Nice bit of country there.

HP

buzzc152
6th Jul 2007, 09:47
Breschia (spelling?) is closer than Milan, no ?

andrepilota
6th Jul 2007, 12:45
If I were you I'd rather fly to bergamo or brescia than milan itself (being linate or malpensa).

The farther away u are from milan the better....;)

Nardi Riviera
6th Jul 2007, 12:45
Second Cavortingcheetah - the drive from Bergamo's Orio al Serio is much more scenic, with lighter traffic than the drive from Malpensa.

Take it we're talking about the City of Como, as the lake itself is fairly large...

Hartington
7th Jul 2007, 06:08
I reckon the nearest airfield (as the crow files) is Lugano and it can be reached from the UK by changing at Zurich. How easy it is to get to the shores of Como is another question entirely.

IB4138
7th Jul 2007, 07:22
A330 Dreamer are you making plans to get to the 17th HOG Rally next year already?

Must admit that I've had a quick nosey at the maps, but no exact location on Lake Como for the venue has been given yet.

crewboi83
7th Jul 2007, 12:18
I used to stay in a place near Como when I worked in Milan, Id say Malpensa is closer, but also Lugano is switzerland isnt that far away either.
Its not hard to reach Como from Bergamo, but you have better transport links from MXP.
LIN is kinda far...
Hope this is of some use to you

manintheback
7th Jul 2007, 21:44
A route I've travelled many a time.

Malpensa by far the easiest to connect to.

Bus direct.

or, one change on the train right into the heart of Como (not to the main through station but the one in the heart of town) - takes about 1hr 20 door to door

Or a 40 minute taxi - cost approx 60 Euro

Riccardo
7th Jul 2007, 23:40
British Airways, FlyBe, Easyjet all operate to Malpensa.

RyanAir go to Bergamo.