PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Aerobatics

OZZI_PPL
5th Jul 2007, 22:48
Anyone have any recommendations regarding doing Aero's training in the Brisbane area?

Im not too keen on flying the Aerobat as I'm a fairly large guy and my knees get in the way all the time :) Got my heart set on a Citabria or something similar if there are any around.

Any info on location, aircraft types, prices, or just general advice would be fantastic.

Ozzi

HappyBandit
6th Jul 2007, 07:13
You can try Redcliffe Aero Club. They now have a Citabria and Decathlon at reasonable rates with good instructors too.

tinpis
6th Jul 2007, 07:53
Large guy needs large plane.Try the T-28. His son has Yaks as well.

aldee
7th Jul 2007, 19:26
Don't know if you want a rating or a bit of fun.
Doubt you'd get a T28 rating and after the last "incident" don't like your chances of training in one of their Yaks.
Hempels the go for that.

OZZI_PPL
9th Jul 2007, 23:03
What about FTA or RQAC at Archerfield? Anyone have any experience with either of these two?

Ozzi

supercub150
10th Jul 2007, 00:55
Mate, There are not too many options there for aeros, Redcliffe would be the place to go probably. There was one person i would have suggested to do aeros with over anyone else in Brisbane, but unfortunatly he is no longer in the flying game!
By the way, don't bother doing your aerobatic rating in a 152aerobat, Do it in a taildragger (real aircraft), thats when you really learn to fly!:}

tinpis
10th Jul 2007, 01:03
Is it not a requirement that the PIC have at least a CPL on "Warbird" joy flights ?

ravan
12th Jul 2007, 11:31
Ozzi

FTA has a Decathalon and a couple of very competent basic aero instructors. Call them for some pricing.

Sorry, don't know about RQAC though.

Cheers

Time Bomb Ted
13th Jul 2007, 12:09
OZZI,

Head to Redcliffe and give Aerobatics Australia a go. The Aero Club handles his Aerobatic flying I beleive. Gerry is also a big bloke but has a Decathlon and a Citabria both brand new. I've flown both of them and they are fantastic. Very forgiving aircraft and Redcliffe isn't far from somewhere where you can get a bit of height to start loops etc.

Gerry is also one of the nicest blokes you will find anywhere in this industry, and you will not go wrong with him.

Long live the Decathlon...

TBT

j3pipercub
14th Jul 2007, 12:34
Would have to agree with the concensus, go to Redcliffe and insist on Gerry. Champion bloke who knows what's he doing. The machines are absolutely glorious and the training area aint bad either.
j3

jbr76
15th Jul 2007, 10:38
Would have to agree with the concensus, go to Redcliffe and insist on Gerry. Champion bloke who knows what's he doing. The machines are absolutely glorious and the training area aint bad either.
j3

I concur also - Give Archerfield a miss - Too many money hungry operators there .. much cheaper to fly out of Redcliffe plus the training area is very close and a lot more scenic than the southern or eastern training areas of Archerfield.

OZZI_PPL
15th Jul 2007, 22:55
Thanks guys,

Redcliffe it is then. Now just have to wait for the tax man.......

Ozzi

OZZI_PPL
7th Oct 2007, 22:57
Sorry to revive such an old thread, was just wondering how much of a steep learning curve it would be to do a Constant Speed, Tailwheel and Aeros all at the same time?

Trying to save some cash instead of doing a CSU endorsement separate.

Ozzi

flog
8th Oct 2007, 01:53
I'd say not much of a learning curve. You're best bet might be to stage it; get the Tailwheel / CSU at the same time (circuits and more circuits, you're going to love cross wind landings in a tail dragger) then go do some aero's once you're happy in the circuit and landing it and controlling the CSU at the same time.

With a CSU you actually have a little LESS to do in aeros as you're not having to keep control of RPM throughout manouvers (unless you cock up monumentally :-))

I did my last AFR by doing the tail-wheel and aero endorsment after having a few years on the ground.

my2cents

djpil
8th Oct 2007, 03:37
OZZI,
You won't notice getting the C/S endorsement between the aerobatics and T/W stuff. I suggest that you give Gerry a call. You may find that he'll do the T/W work and even some of the aerobatics in the Citabria which has a fixed pitch prop.

Trojan1981
8th Oct 2007, 05:08
Along the same lines...does anyone know if there are any Pitts available for hire in SE Qld? Citabria/Decath are nice, not keen on warbirds but a well looked after Pitts would be perfect. Or am I dreaming?

Wombat35
8th Oct 2007, 19:42
Just a note on the Citabria...

If you are both big guys... be careful as you will pop outside the C of G for Aeros.

If you want to check, have a look at:

http://www.citabria.co.nz/PAS/Documents.htm

Click on Weight and Balance.

Cheers

Wombat

Runaway Gun
8th Oct 2007, 23:07
Ahh jeez Wombat - is this your indirect method of telling me to go back on a diet? Through Pprune? How insensitive.

May I strongly recommend that you lay off the pork pies and custard tarts for a few weeks before I next come and fly with you. ;)

OZZI_PPL
8th Oct 2007, 23:14
With a name like Wombat......;)

Anyway I'm not fat, just tall.

Wombat35
9th Oct 2007, 18:30
Runaway Gun... see that going phwoosh past you...?

That's your "Mates Rates" :}:}:}:p When are you coming over?

All right my "Tall" Ozzie... the biggest guy I have had in the front was 6'4 and let me tell you it was funny to see him with his legs crammed up.... the seat does not move very much.. so watch the brakes! In NZ big does not mean tall... it means BIG! :}

And it's mainly the instructor that will put you out... as for me... I'm a spritely 80KG :8:8 it's not the tarts... apparently there’s a steak in every schooner... who'd a thunk it!

Runaway Gun
9th Oct 2007, 18:47
I'm not tall, just very short - for my weight.

j3pipercub
24th Jan 2009, 22:00
check your pm's

Aerohooligan
25th Jan 2009, 00:27
FYI, FTA's Decathlon is broken and all of the old aeros instructors are no longer there.

djpil
25th Jan 2009, 01:02
Gerry Dick at Redcliffe has his near-new Citabria & Decathlon available.

outofwhack
25th Jan 2009, 13:03
I have a Pitts Special S2A I might put back into service at Brisbane Archerfield if there's sufficient interest.

djpil
25th Jan 2009, 18:59
UPU?

Some of the guys recently got into S-1's but I'm sure there would be some interest in renting an S-2A.

djpil
26th Jan 2009, 01:37
That was a very long time ago. It was balck the last time I flew it but last time I saw it, per this photo (http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=344225), it was red & white.

PlankBlender
11th Jun 2009, 03:43
Does anyone here have contact details for Gerry, or are you reading this yourself maybe? Inquired about Aerobatics training with the Redcliffe Aero Club the other day and they have a new instructor that does their aerobatics/taildragger stuff, a lady called Trish. Anyone flown with her and willing to spill the beans? They said they're no longer making bookings for Gerry and have a six week lead time at the moment anyway :hmm:

outofwhack if someone can recommend a good instructor that works out of Archerfield, I might be interested in hiring the S2A. What sort of hourly rate would you be looking for?

j3pipercub
11th Jun 2009, 04:52
Plank,

if you're around YRED, just turn left instead of right, go to the end, park on the left and his is the hangar behind bob taits. I've also PM'd you his details.

j3

djpil
11th Jun 2009, 08:51
Perhaps outofwhack and Gerry should have a discussion?

VH-FTS
12th Jun 2009, 03:23
They said they're no longer making bookings for Gerry and have a six week lead time at the moment anyway

Last I heard Gerry was establishing his own flying school, so no wonder they're not using him anymore. He'll probably take his Citabria and Decathlon with him too.

The six week lead time is no surpise either.

PlankBlender
12th Jun 2009, 07:24
So is Gerry the guy advertising for instructors in the AviationTrader?

Cheers for the contact details, will definitely give him a holler! :ok:

OZZI_PPL
15th Jun 2009, 04:27
Anyone know who operates VH-BWR at YBAF? Blue coloured Citabria (I think)

I'm looking for a mid range aeros machine for hire at Archerfield. Citabria, Decathlon type category.

Cheers

Ando1Bar
15th Jun 2009, 06:40
Anyone know who operates VH-BWR at YBAF? Blue coloured Citabria (I think)

AAA use it for their upset recovery and aerobatic training.

You might be able to hire it and an instructor through RQAC. Don Mitchell is probably your best bet.