PDA

View Full Version : Explanation

angel83
5th Jul 2007, 11:49
Hello everybody...

well...i am little confused with all this licenses all this letters all this different countries...and we (I) dont know their meaning, I dont know if we are rally in EUROPE or if we still need to convert some things between Francem Uk IRELAND, Portugal....etc....

So....What is ATPL(A) ? CPL(A) ? there exits (B) or what ??
A CPL passed in one european country is it valid in other?
Class 1 medical in Spain (example) is it valid in france or somewhere else?

What all this means ? That s crazy all this different things it is so CONFUSING!!

I dont know if I am the only one to think that...but that s true i m doing my training the US and everything is so clear...written black and white and no confusion..

I am trying to understand the european system in order to come back but that s so confusing!!

Is someone willing to help me understand that (or help us)??

Thank you !!

Julie

phantomcruiser07
5th Jul 2007, 11:56
go 2 this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134076

Whirlygig
5th Jul 2007, 11:59
The A stands for Aeroplane (as in ATPL(A)); there is also ATPL(H) which is for helicopters.

Cheers

Whirls

Turbine King
5th Jul 2007, 12:56
The B stands for balloons :}:):}

angel83
5th Jul 2007, 14:10
thank you !

Turbine King
6th Jul 2007, 20:30
Do you know? I was only joking and then I found out today from my school that it really does stand for balloon!

CPL(B) Commercial balloon pilot :O

Whirlygig
6th Jul 2007, 20:45
Yeah - some of us knew that! :D:p Guess what G and M might stand for?!

Cheers

Whirls

Polorutz
6th Jul 2007, 22:17
Hey nobody answered the lady!!!

Ok Julie let me explain, there is a European governing body in aviation called the Joint Aviation Authorities, there are full recognized members and non fully recognized members, for a list go to their website, a quick google search for Joint Aviation Authority should do the trick.

If you get a JAR CPL, ATPL, PPL or whatever you don't need to convert it to any of the other ones, however if you intend to fly commercially in the UK having obtained your JAR licence somewhere else they might ask you to trade your licence for the UK one, that is just paperwork, no more studying or flying.

So, as long as you have a JAR licence you're set, as for medicals, it depends on each Country, for example, a Swiss class 1 medical works if you want to get a UK issued CPL, but with a little extra paperwork, mainly a form you need to send to the swiss authorities where they confirm the medical is valid and real.

Every country has it's own aviation administration, in Switzerland its the FOCA, in the UK it's the CAA, etc... each have their policy but as long as they're JAR they must by law work with each other and that means offering a way to easily exchange and convert JAR licences.

-Polorutz

paco
7th Jul 2007, 00:47
Hi Angel

Firstly, a CPL is a Commercial Pilot's licence, which qualifies you for command on smaller aircraft - an ATPL (Airline transport Pilot's licence) allows you to be in charge of big ones - to get this you need more flying hours, have to pass more exams and be older.

Countries can issue their own licences which are ICAO-compatible - they are not automatically exchangeable between countries, but some have agreements that allow this - Australia and new Zealand, for example. Others require you just to take a law exam (UAE). Others (e.g. JAA/FAA) don't allow exchanges at all. Canada will accept a current PPC for a type rating (depends on the office!0

Countries that belong to JAA (shortly to become EARSA) can also issue JAA licences, which enable to fly in any JAA country without formality - the licence isn't exchangeable without paperwork, but you can fly in any country on the original JAA licence. However, if you reside in any country for more than 183 days in any year for tax reasons, you have to get it reissued by the relevant state, but this is also for tax reasons.

Phil