PDA

View Full Version : Ragged nerves of crew in Bahrain

Panama Jack
5th Jul 2007, 11:46
I read that a circular has been issued by the Bahrain Civil Aviation Affairs stating that with immediate effect, all uniformed staff are prohibited from smoking anywhere within the Airport Terminal Building. This includes designated smoking areas.

I am not a smoker, so really I could care less. However, I don't understand the logic. On many long, multi-sector days, the nicotine addicts of a flight charge off to have their coffin stick. It is not an outright smoking ban at BAH, seems like just uniformed airline and airport employees are being targetted.

http://www.rol.ru/pictures/misc/consnews/motley.jpg

Punk rockers? Naw! Just an airline crew that has momentarily removed their uniforms and are trying to avoid getting caught by smoking in the Boy's Room.

Feels like highschool.

MikeHunt
5th Jul 2007, 12:00
About time CAA and GF agreed that gate 17 was actually for passengers and not for crew to puff their ware while passsengers can't find a seat during a delay.

tbaylx
5th Jul 2007, 13:01
Eventually they'll catch up with the rest of the world and just ban smoking anywhere indoors for everybody.

Panama Jack
5th Jul 2007, 13:20
Probably. It just seems that, for an aviation company at least, there are more smokers here than in other parts that I have worked.

I wonder if the government will target cigarettes with "Sin Taxes" like they do in other parts of the world (and like they do here in the Middle East thus rendering the price of liquor much higher). Would have prefer that over the 1% Unemployment Insurance. :hmm:

2lowgear
6th Jul 2007, 18:08
For those of you that still smoke a pack on the way to TRV. Watch out they're coming for you too.

Bombay HF
7th Jul 2007, 00:32
Pretty soon the only place you'll be allowed to smoke is on a Gulf Air flight deck;)

Sal-e
9th Jul 2007, 02:07
Unofficially allowed to smoke secretly you mean?

Panama Jack
12th Jul 2007, 06:59
It is interesting that at least one airline has had a "nicotine free" policy for over a decade.

Pilot Full Time - Regular posted 06.18.07
Seattle, WA

Requirements

Description:
Performs as Pilot in Command or Second in Command in the transport of passengers, mail, or freight, or for other commercial purposes. Responsible for all aspects and conduct of flight to include preflight of required paperwork and restrictions,conduct of safe flight and all post flight duties.

Must have knowledge commensurate with holder of airline transport pilot certificate and have knowledge of all aspects of applicable FARs and AIM.

Pilots airplane to transport passengers, mail, or freight, or for other commercial purposes. Reviews aircraft's papers to ascertain factors, such as load weight, fuel supply, load, route, or schedule to ensure safety of flight. Reads gauges to verify oil, hydraulic fluid, fuel quantities and cabin pressure are at prescribed levels prior to start engines. Communicates with control tower, ground and flight crew.

Domiciles:
Seattle, WA
Los Angeles, CA
Anchorage, AK

Minimum Qualifications:
Experience: Minimum of 3000 hours total pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. Minimum 1000 PIC hours in multi-engine (turbojet/ turboprop) aircraft or single-engine high performance military jet or 750 hours PIC in multi-engine (turbojet/ turboprop) and 2000 hours SIC in multi-engine (turbojet/ turboprop) aircraft or single-engine high performance military jet. Minimum 50 hours flown within the last 12 months.

Education:Four year degree required from an accredited institution.

Licenses and Certificates: Airline Transport Pilot (ATP)

Health: Applicant must hold current First Class FAA Medical Certificate. Vision must be correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Non user of nicotine products.

Legal Status: Applicants must be able to prove legal right to work in the United States. A background check will be completed for each applicant.

Candidates must possess:
-Excellent judgment and leadership skills
-Demonstrated command ability and maturity
-Ability to communicate effectively and learn rapidly
-Sound analytical ability and high tolerance to stress
-Professional demeanor and appearance

***Please note that these are minimum requirements and the majority of our applicants considerably exceed these standards.

Equal Opportunity Employer

http://www.alaskaair.com/