PDA

View Full Version : URGENT medical question

swm
5th Jul 2007, 01:58
Hi all, I am applying for the Qanats Pilot Cadet Programme and about to go for my Class 1 Medical. I have a condition called ankylosing spondylitis which is basically an inflammation of the hip/lower back joints. I have had no symptons or pain for nearly two years. I asked a DAME if it would be a problem getting a Class 1 and he said no I should be able to get it easily. He then said Qantas and the airlines do there own medicals however and probably wouldn't touch me with the condition when they can take their pick of others who are physiologically closer to perfect, even though the condition has no effect on me day-to-day.

Also I wear glasses/contact lenses and the DAME said also this is fine but airlines are more inclined to go with pilots who have 20/20 because they can. I am really worried about me even getting in the door with my condition and eye sight ... can anyone please advise if I am wasting my time or if an airline would take the Class 1 medical as an endoresement that I am ok to fly?? I would be devastated if I can't even apply beacuse of a dormant and asymptomatic condition. Many thanks to all.

fonawah
5th Jul 2007, 07:51
I agree with Lucifer, a class 1 should mean you are fit to fly. If you weren't , then you would fail your medical. My advise is go get the class 1 and see what happens.
F