PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air - Capt Rad Gammage critically ill

Mach084
4th Jul 2007, 18:19
Sad news today regarding our colleague and friend Rad Gammage who is critically ill in a hospital in Cyprus. Rad sadly suffered kidney failure as well as multiple heart attacks and is currently in a very serious life threatening state.

Rad has been with Gulf Air for 30 odd years and currently serves as a TRE on the A330/A340 fleet. I'm sure all who know Rad value him both as a highly skilled professional as well as a great down to earth guy.

Please join me in wishing our friend Rad and his wife Ronnie all the best and a speedy recovery.

Cheers Rad, get well soon mate.

Mach084

vomit comet
4th Jul 2007, 18:23
God bless him & wishing him a quick recovery.

Chuck Y
4th Jul 2007, 18:25
Wishing him a speedy recovery. Inhallah God will look after one of the true gentlemen of GF.

Sinbad1
4th Jul 2007, 18:53
:sad:sincere and genuine well wishes to the captain,our prayers for his speedy recovery and best wishes and thoughts also to his family in this difficult time.

Safe and happy flying to all

Sal-e
4th Jul 2007, 21:46
Hang in there mate. Speedy recovery to ya.

daidalos
5th Jul 2007, 00:58
I've been in Gulf Air for the last three years. I've flown with Rad a couple of times. Cool guy and very calm all the time. He bought a house in Cyprus for his retirement.
Very sad that he may not be able to enjoy it.
Let's see it as another lesson of life. Stop nagging and live your lives. LIVE them not just waste them.
Hoping for the best for Rad.

Andreas.

SCATANA
5th Jul 2007, 01:15
All the best RAD, our thoughts are with you and your family.

Panama Jack
5th Jul 2007, 03:56
Gulf Air is a family (although like most, sometimes a bickering, somewhat disfunctional one). Yet it is always sad when we hear of "one of our own" in bad shape, and heartening when we come together to wish him well.

Although I've never worked before with Rad, my thoughts are with him along with wishes for his full recovery and thoughts with his family.

daidalos, I couldn't agree more.

CI100
5th Jul 2007, 04:37
Dear Captain
Even though we flew only few times together, we are all bound together in trying to make the most and best of our lives. I truly believe that a positive attitude can lead to a positive outcome.

In the face of that famous sense of humor, no illness would
dare stick around.

We are sending you good thoughts! We are all travelers going from one eternity to the next. Sometimes the road is smooth and sometimes it is bumpy. It is always easier to enjoy the time we travel when we travel it with friends.

I treasure your friendship.

Dessert Aviator
5th Jul 2007, 07:51
Prayer is set to TOGA..... you will get well.

sirwa69
5th Jul 2007, 08:50
Hang on in their Rad, your a good guy. Mrs. Sirwa (who's known you for 24 years and flown with you hundreds of times) and I are due in Cyprus in a few weeks time and look forward to coming and visiting Ronnie and you.
On On

Heleheleyani
5th Jul 2007, 09:41
I only flew with him once but that was enough to realize what a gentleman he was, I wish him very quick recovery, and hope to fly again in the near future

parabellum
5th Jul 2007, 10:43
Keep fighting Rad, it is not your time.

Joe Monsoon
5th Jul 2007, 11:19
Wishing you my friend Rad all the best and a speedy recovery.

Cheers Rad . get well soon Bro

Joe

noflare
5th Jul 2007, 11:32
A true gentleman and scholar....get well Rad we are all rooting for you.:ok:

NO FD NO SRS
5th Jul 2007, 13:51
Rod Is The Only One Who Does Not Have Any Enemy In This World.
He Is A True Gentle Man.
Let Every Body Pray For His Reversion To Normal Law.

mensaboy
5th Jul 2007, 20:27
I will pray for his recovery too. Its so nice to hear of someone so well respected by his peers. I too know of individuals that would definitely fit into that category and it saddens me to hear that he is in trouble now. I don't know the man, never met him, but I already know he is a good man and deserves better.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to him and his family. Believe me, sometimes things can work out even in the darkest moments.

fractional
5th Jul 2007, 21:33
Mach084,
Do you have any news? Thank you.

bus787
6th Jul 2007, 06:09
Our friend RAD I wish you a quick recovery.

Pity to see nice guys like you in this situation.

We will pray for you and with GODS will you will surely make it,

Positive Climb.

Desert Diner
6th Jul 2007, 09:52
Here's hoping for the best

repapips
6th Jul 2007, 21:37
Just prayed for Rad's speedy recovery.
Hope all of us who wish him well pray for him so he can get well pretty soon.

:ok:

Mach084
7th Jul 2007, 17:48
Hi guys and gals,

Thanks so much for your great support, this just goes to show how well respected and liked Rad is amongst his peers.

I just came back from a flight and am desperately trying to find out news. Latest I heard is that he still is in the ICU in "serious but stable condition".

Our thoughts and prayers are with you mate, I know you will put up a great fight and overcome this.

Get well soon old friend

PS The moment I have anything new I'll post it.

slowjet
7th Jul 2007, 18:32
Mach, what we need is a Cyprus address or phone contact so that we can re-assure Ronnie. I cannot add anything to the wealth of sympathy shown in these columns. I had the pleasure of flying with him many times on the 767 and came away having learned from the Master. Impossible not to like him & I don't think I ever heard him say anything bad about anybody !

Hang in there Rad. In our thoughts, in our prayers.

chrispatrickGA
7th Jul 2007, 18:34
Mach 084, please advise us asap if Rad recovers which we all wish here...
This man is not only a good pilot , one of our best instructors in GF but he is a real gentleman ...
Not the time to leave us Rad, get back to a better shape and enjoy your house in Cyprus.
Everytime i do fly on the big bus i remember all your comments during the line training I had with you...
Please mister Gammage , everyone is with you in this battle... We all send our message of sympathy to your family in the meantime we just pray for his recover.:ok:

Mach084
7th Jul 2007, 19:01
Slowjet and others,

Please guys it has been specifically requested by Ronnie for people NOT to call and we have to respect this at this time. She is obviously going through a really rough time so above all we must not make it worse for her. As mentined I shall keep everyone updated as to Rad's condition when I have news, hopefully by tomorrow I will have an update.

Once again thanks to all on Rad's behalf, I know he would be really touched by all your support.

Cheers
Mach

Mach084
8th Jul 2007, 09:22
Gentlemen I just found out the following

Rad is still in ICU and sadly suffered another massive heart attack as well as a stroke which has left him paralized. Till now he was on a ventilator to help him breath. The doctors have now performed a trachiotomy and inserted a pipe to provide air to his lungs to keep him breathing.

The news is not good but I was told that his condition is "critical but stable".

I know Rad is a fighter and he will give it his best.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and Ronnie.

Thanks again to all here for their warm support.

Mach

PS
My thanks to Gulf air as well as I was told that they have undertaken through the company insurance all of Rad's medical treatment. The man has served the company for over 30 years and deserves the best attention possible at this time.

fractional
8th Jul 2007, 09:47
Tks Mach084. Definitely not good news. I'm sure we all hope he can make it. Let's wait and see and hope for the best.

LDG NO BLUE
8th Jul 2007, 15:40
I'm really sorry for Rad.
He's a fine gentleman.

smart123
8th Jul 2007, 15:44
Our thoughts and prayers are with u. God bless you with long life and sound health.

CDRW
9th Jul 2007, 02:26
Oh gosh. Such sad news. Never realised Rad was still with GF! Flew with him during the first Gulf war when we were based in Muscut - remember that time!! Did a Lhr and back followed by Bkk and Hkg trip. What a gentleman to fly with and quash a few beers!!

Best of luck Rad. Twiggy if your out there keep us informed!!

scanscanscan
10th Jul 2007, 15:14
Concerned to hear how our friend Rad is doing today...please.

daidalos
10th Jul 2007, 16:10
I heard it today, and I am repeating it cautiously, that Cpt Rad did his last take off on Sunday.
No details.
If true, R.I.P. dear colleague.

Andreas.

Mach084
11th Jul 2007, 05:59
Daidalos to my knowledge it's not true but will try and get an update on Rad's condition.

Mach

daidalos
11th Jul 2007, 06:32
I am truly sorry, if my information was wrong. Actually I'am hoping that it was wrong ...

Andreas.

scanscanscan
13th Jul 2007, 11:25
OK...It is now the 13th and still no news of our friend....surely someone can issue an update on his condition....Please.

Mach084
13th Jul 2007, 12:12
Just spoke to a mutual friend who found out that Rad is still in a coma but is now breathing on his own. Till now he was totally dependant on machines to keep him alive.
At least the latest news is somewhat encouraging, there seems to be some kind of improvement.

Wishing as always all the best for our mate Rad.

Mach

scanscanscan
13th Jul 2007, 14:19
That is good news...thank you very much...please let us know Rads progress..
really wishing him well as known him for ever.

Fokkerwokker
13th Jul 2007, 20:39
Only just caught up with the news.

Joined GF with Rad in '74.

Thoughts are with him and Ronnie

FW

GAME OVER
17th Jul 2007, 13:35
Why is it so quite??? Any news about Rad??? How is he doing so far??:confused:

Bangkok Layover
17th Jul 2007, 20:15
Where is rad from?

slowjet
19th Jul 2007, 11:05
Colleagues of mine in GF tell me that Capt MP posted the initial news on the GF Web where he stated that Rad was at Cyprus General Hospital & that flowers & a card from GF Management and all pilots had been sent.

A mate of mine told me that he had phoned three Senior Gf pilots for news, all on answerphone with NO REPLIES.

I guess you could always phone the Cyprus General Hospital for news update.

We certainly all care, very much, for this most popular aviator.

Icarus
19th Jul 2007, 17:19
My information from a few weeks ago was that Rad was in the ICU at Limassol General.

Limassol General Hospital
Nikeas street
Pano Polemidia
Limassol
Cyprus
Tel: + 357 25 801 100

Not sure it's a good thing to contact the hospital and if they would actually respond - I guess if you are not (blood) family they won't despite most of GF staff feeling the are family to each other.

Maybe we can get someone from Flight Operations to take ownership and put updates on the GF intranet on a bi-weekly basis perhaps?

Mach084
19th Jul 2007, 20:53
Latest news is that there is no improvement sadly. Rad is still in ICU in a comma. His condition is stable but still quite critical.

Our hopes and prayers are always with him.

Mach

slowjet
21st Jul 2007, 14:03
Thanks Icarus & Mach 84. At least we have an address to which a card or letter of support can be sent. Good idea for weekly update.

A wake up call to us all I guess. Rad always appeared very fit when I was in GF. Don't really know how to achieve longevity. So many of us are hit hard just after we retire ! Up till now, a little of everything appears to work for me.

Thoughts still with our Colleague & card on it's way.

El Rey Leon
24th Jul 2007, 21:12
Let us not forget the great Rad with our GF troubles!

Falks Rad is one of the best training Captains we have in GF and I'm not only talking about his knowledge and his flying skills! But I'm talking about Rad as a person!

He is such a gentleman and respects every one! and people like Rad they make you respect them! He is loved by every one!
I never heard any thing bad about him!

I wish you a quick recovery and hope to see you again online soon

scanscanscan
28th Jul 2007, 13:02
28 July now......Any update on Rads progress?

Icarus
28th Jul 2007, 15:46
Last I hear, no improvement but stable enough to be moved (MEDEVAC) to the UK for surgery, so I presume that is also the latest plan.

Capt Hair Y Balls
28th Jul 2007, 17:11
Apparently Rad is paralized on one side only from the stroke and Ronnie is trying to get him air lifted with a medevac flight back to the UK. His condition has not improved in the last week and they seem to be waiting for some improvement in order to move him.

A great lad indeed who certainly deserves better.

Get well soon old mate

Fluffies

scanscanscan
28th Jul 2007, 20:22
Thank you guys for the update on my old friend....will continue my prayers for his recovery.
Comforting to know he has Ronnie there fighting his corner when the going got tough.
Hopefully he is through the worst and now a steady recovery.

radron1
29th Jul 2007, 14:59
Thankyou for your kind words and thoughts. Rad had to undergo emergency surgery last week for internal bleeding. He is currently recovering from that and in a semi concious state. Breathing on his own and on dialysis every other day. He cannot sign the cheques yet, but does pout his lips to give me a kiss! I am fighting to get him evacuated for rehabiliation, but if this fails I will move him to Pafos General Hospital so that he is near to me and I can see him more often to help with his rehabilition.

I am sorry I cannot answer you all individually but thanking you and Rad is hanging in there, stubborn bugger!

Cheers

Roni

fractional
29th Jul 2007, 15:22
Good to hear from you Roni and about Rad. It's very nice of you to come to the Forum to give us some news first hand. Thank you!
It matters Rad gets better a bit every single day. Hang in there, both of you. Hope all goes well (at least better) these coming days.

Fokkerwokker
30th Jul 2007, 18:08
Roni,

Have PM'd you.

Bestest

FW

Viscount Sussex
30th Jul 2007, 20:26
Rad,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. We flew together in GF. Top man, kind and obviously very well thought of.
Good luck.
VS

Chuck Y
31st Jul 2007, 08:54
Thanks for the update. As always our prayers are with you & wishing 1 of the finest gentlemen of aviation a quick recovery.

Mach084
2nd Aug 2007, 13:05
Hi everyone,

Just found out that Roni is trying to get Rad to the hospital in Paphos so she can have better access to him on a daily basis and it looks like the medevac issue is out the window due to the very high cost (80 grand). Rad overall is doing a bit better but is still in a coma and the major issue now is getting a neurologist to see him. He did have another small operation done as he developed stomach bleeding from being fed with the tubes but thank God that has now been taken care of.

Once again thanks for all your kind words and support for our good mate.

May God keep him safe and grant him a speedy recovery.

Mach

mickeydazzler
3rd Aug 2007, 00:25
80 grand ??

could we not raise this, for that man ?

of course we could

come on .....

he is one of us ...in trouble....but he is US !

he represents everything every pilot aspires to...

complete gentleman .....modest average pilot (his words !) wonderful husband ....amazing career....fantastic teacher...
GREAT company......(my words).....talked about Roni ALL the time !.....(as he should).......HEY !...and still being Rad !

so

can we start with a small sub committee ?

MD

Icarus
3rd Aug 2007, 06:13
If it is 80K US then thats going to be around BHD100 for each GF pilot. Why not approach it from an immediate salary deduction at the end of Aug. Executed on the assumption that everyone is in unless they sign a 'no thank you' with Personnel/Flight Operations. Get it going now, it could be available at the end of the month - who's really going miss 100 dinars? Or suggest that the company front the money and the crew will 'repay' it via a 100BD deduction from the first salary month that includes the next incremental payrise? Again on the premise that everyone is 'in'.

lepremier
3rd Aug 2007, 07:36
As soon as someone has a proper contribution scheme set up please post the details. There are a still a lot of Rad's former GA buddies out here and would surely want to contribute.

Icarus
3rd Aug 2007, 07:43
That's fair enough.

What we now need then is two or three volunteers to spearhead this.

I'm one. If we can get a couple more current GF staff then we can meet up to decide the best way to manage and implement this. But it needs to move quickly. Either volunteer here or PM me.

lepremier
3rd Aug 2007, 08:18
Thanks Icarus, I will stay tuned in and pass on any details to ex GA guys I know in my area.

Viscount Sussex
3rd Aug 2007, 08:20
If there was a proper contribution scheme, ex GF people like myself could also chip in. Make the details public and I'm sure we can work it out.
VS

Mach084
3rd Aug 2007, 12:35
Icarus, please count me in.

Icarus
3rd Aug 2007, 12:56
M084 I know I could count on you, that's great. It would be nice to have one more and we can get the ball rolling.

NO FD NO SRS
3rd Aug 2007, 13:32
all For One, One For All.

Thats A Great Idea, I Am Sure Every One Will Contribute.

ironbutt57
3rd Aug 2007, 14:19
Sign me up however it gets organized:ok::ok:

Sal-e
3rd Aug 2007, 19:31
Me too....soon before I go on leave.

Sandy Swan
4th Aug 2007, 00:53
BD 100 is the least I can do for Capt Radstone Gammage. What a name! What a bloke! I first met him in DAC, in the 80's, handing over a Tristar with a MEL/CDL item (missing gear door) which required the a/c to cruise in a tight regime between a reduced VMO and above the Vmd. I was a sprog F/O and the the skipper, eng and I had spent BKK-DAC fretting about how the next crew were going to find a speed both slow enough and fast enough for the next DAC-BAH which had a full load of pax and 7 hours of gas when we had only had a knot or two spare with half a load and 3 hours. We need not have concerned ourselves. Rad listened attentively to our misgivings but immediately formulated his own strategy(lower level,extra fuel,fly below Vmd,no need to accelerate past it). For me, an inexperienced F/O, it was a revelation, seing a captain who was cautious yet confident, calculating yet incisive, a true professional at work, delivering the goods. Since then he has trained me and checked me, on the 76 and the Airbus, and it has always been a pleasure. Rad has flown many, many people safely to their destinations. The least we can do is fly him now to where he needs to go.

Mach084
4th Aug 2007, 20:01
:ok:

Fantastic news gents, Rad came out of the comma tonight, recognised Roni and spoke a few words. He's lost a hell of a lot of weight obviously and is real weak but at least he's out of the coma now.

We communicated with Roni who was almost in tears with the plan to try and raise money. She was so touched by everyone's response and wishes for Rad and was lost for words when she heard that we're trying to raise some funds for him.

She has pretty much ruled out the move to the UK so whatever we can raise she will use for his rehab. He's still paralized on one side and is in dire need of a neurologist so it will be some time of rehab for our mate to get back on his feet.

Thank goodness though he seems to have been through the worst now.

Once again on behalf of Rad and Roni I would like to convey to all here their thanks and appreciation.

We will soon formulate a voluntary contribution plan which was so greatly proposed by our friend and colleaugue Icarus to help Rad with his rehab, your support would be really appreciated.

I would like also to thank our friends and colleaugues in ETIHAD. I was advised today that several of them who have followed Rad's plight through this thread have expressed the desire to make contributions when we setup the plan. Thank you Gentlemen.

Once again many thanks to all here.

Mach

SCATANA
4th Aug 2007, 21:07
Great news Mach84, we all miss Rad and wish to see him make a full recovery soon.

As for the donathion plan, i'm in too.

I remember the days when Ali Sultan would take care of all that. All you had to do for any donation was to walk into his office, and he did the rest.

MD12
5th Aug 2007, 02:15
What about creating a paypal account on Roni's name, so each person can 'donate' as much as desired? (or as much as we can), independently of the company we fly for.

I never met Capt. Gammage, in fact I never flew for any of the ME carriers, but if something like this happens to me or any of my colleagues I would like to have this support from you.

Open the paypal account and I will be more than happy to be the first to participate on this great initiative. If they don't need all the money we can raise with this, we can just keep the money for future occurences (though I hope they never come).

Best regards,

MD

Sal-e
5th Aug 2007, 14:43
I don't know Rad either but from what I've heard, he is certainly a legend and I am more than happy to put in my 6 pence worth. What is important about this thread is how we as pilots ought to conduct ourselves at work and at play to attract the kind of respect and admiration that Rad unintentionally recieved. God bless him and Roni and may they enjoy each other for many many more years. Whoever is organising this fund raise, please update us asap. Good on you mate.

Icarus
5th Aug 2007, 18:23
All,
There are a few of us getting together to plan the formation of a fund/donation scheme and whatever else we can muster. Ground work is underway but it would be careless of us to move forward until we understand from Mrs Gammage what the priorities are so we can set and communicate goals. As you may imagine, under the current circumstances these are/can be 'moving targets'. Suffice to say, the dialogue has started and hopefully in a few days to a week we will be able to start work on putting things in place. Please bear with us.

ironbutt57
5th Aug 2007, 23:23
Yes even Pprune rivals have put aside their differences to rise to this occasion...proving their is an aviation brotherhood even here at GF...and of course GF-2:}

Albergineman
6th Aug 2007, 00:45
You can count with me! PM me with the details, a life is priceless...

Fokkerwokker
6th Aug 2007, 08:10
Count me in.

Brgds

FW

mickeydazzler
6th Aug 2007, 20:55
hello lads....sorry been away..great news from roni....thanks mach and icarus.... et all.....lets do it ....MD

clochadearg

parabellum
7th Aug 2007, 14:31
Count me in too please, just need the details.

Propellor
7th Aug 2007, 18:46
One more in the head count for Rad.
Any thing for a fine man that he is!
My req would be NOT to go the Ali Sultan way - he is a helluva nice bloke, but off late, was not to be trusted with money.
Moreover, I am not sure if the collection made for the Bulgarian captain who died in a Dubai road crash reached his family in tact.
Again, PayPal is not feasible - it does not accept Bahrain credit card holders as applicants, and other payments are cumbersome.
Maybe someone in the office could volunteer - Icarus ???

Icarus
7th Aug 2007, 19:06
Most of the ground work is complete; there appear to be no hurdles left other than to satisfy the accountants that the process will be secure (at least as secure a possible) - we had some good gains today in a number of other areas too.

There are a couple of issues left to clear up with Insurance and then we should be able to implement. This will still take quite a few more days.

Please bear with those of us that are helping put this together, I hope to have the first phase available soon.

Mach084
8th Aug 2007, 11:30
Hi Prop,

Thanks mate, rest assured that the system for contributions which we will set up will be done so anyone even non-GF people can contribute. Icarus is doing some great work in that department and getting results.

If this thing goes through it will be a great show of support for a very worthy individual who has helped guys like all of us throughout his long career.

Cheers
Mach

obsidian
8th Aug 2007, 16:30
glad to hear you pulled out of it Rad:O count me in boys for what ever you are going to do for capt rad:O

Tristar
9th Aug 2007, 00:31
Good old RAD, you’ve kicked the spin out, now all you need to do is to keep pulling and you’ll be cruising straight and level in no time inshaAllah.:ok:
Icarus/Mach084, please count me in.

Mephistopheles
9th Aug 2007, 09:22
Good work guys. Please post the details so we can help out.

JABAL
9th Aug 2007, 16:55
Count me in:ok: EX GF flew with Rad on the TRISTAR great guy wish him a speedy recovery

Captain Sensible
11th Aug 2007, 10:08
Wonderful news about Rad, waiting to hear more about the contribution plans.

brassplate
11th Aug 2007, 15:45
though soon to be ex gf, don't mind pitching in for another fellow pilot in need. details soon will good.

Icarus
11th Aug 2007, 16:37
Back on the charge tomorrow morning; hope to get something published before the end of the working week. Held back a couple of days last week due to unavailability of key people in the office.
Icarus.

scanscanscan
12th Aug 2007, 15:22
Standing by for a position update and how goes it on Rad.

Icarus
15th Aug 2007, 18:14
Slow progress this week due a personally very heavy work load. My apologies.

Final meetings scheduled up for tomorow (16-Aug) which should facilitate an internal process to donate direct from payroll via E@SY linked from the Gulf Air Intranet. Once approved I understand it is around 3-4 days work to complete.

We are still trying to determine the most efficient and secure manner for non-GF personnel to be able to donate.

Rad moved to Paphos yesterday I believe so that he is just a stones throw away for Mrs Gammage.

cute_sweetie2000
16th Aug 2007, 00:54
hope he recovers soon and find him in his pink f health

radron1
16th Aug 2007, 04:11
Rad is now near me here in Paphos,he is very very weak lost 20 kilos and has a flat stomach l would die for??????But he receives dyalisis every other day now and we need to build him up and start the work on his rehabilitation his short term memory has gone but he does have a sense of humour although scared as i think what has happened to him is suddenly hitting home but with all your support which l keep telling him about from near and far i thank you all i am very humbled and grateful roni

Mach084
16th Aug 2007, 09:59
Give the old boy all our love Roni and tell him the rounds are on me when he gets his lazy bum out of bed.

Cheers
Mach

fractional
19th Aug 2007, 10:23
Has anyone from GF approached Roni or Rad (now)? This a lifetime GF pilot , among many others, and these guys should now have the help they need and deserve. GF is not (or supposed not) a charity but should do their "do" to help its staff. I believe he is still a GF employee, is he not? Come on!:*

binalia
19th Aug 2007, 19:45
[I]I wonder why you can always read a doctor's bill and you can never read his prescription.[:)/I]

Icarus
19th Aug 2007, 19:45
Repatriation for Rad back to Bahrain is being worked on inside Gulf Air. Allow us a few more days for an update please as this request only came in (via Roni) on Friday and was kicked off today being the first day back in the office for those that can help. There is paperwork to complete for carriage and we are trying to get FOC space LCA-BAH for Rad as a 'stretcher case' and into the BDF.

340flyer
19th Aug 2007, 20:55
Even though i dont know captain Rad, i just wanted to wish him a speedy recovery and hope he will be fit soon...gods speed to him and any pilot who falls sick....:ok:

sirwa69
24th Aug 2007, 19:59
Now in Pafos. Going to see Roni on Sunday and will post update after that. The purpose of this post is just to bring the thread back onto page 1:ok:

On On

ironbutt57
25th Aug 2007, 05:20
Good to hear Icarus, hope it gets sorted soon hope somebody whose efforts have brought this to fruition has the privilege of operating that flight:ok:

Icarus
25th Aug 2007, 11:40
Just a general update from my side:

We have approvals for FOC stretcher case for Rad LCABAH if we need to use it; I am advised of a 'change of heart' by the Insurance Co. in that they may well cover medical repatriation over and above the annual claim ceiling - just waiting for GF insurance to confirm that in writing - if that is not forth coming then we will use the FOC offer once GF Medical Dept. approves carriage which is in hand and hospital admission is arranged in Bahrain.

On the donation scheme front, regret I have had a busy time in my personal life this week but will be giving time to it with the aim of finalising things this coming week for GF Internal donations. Still a litle stuck on providing an easy means for non-GF staff to contribute but will concentrate on that more once the internal method is up and running.

ironbutt57
25th Aug 2007, 12:06
Check.....keep us posted please!!:ok:

radron1
26th Aug 2007, 06:18
quote from Rad

"Tell Gulf Air that a member of staff is desperate and stressed and needs help,i cannot go on."

he has not been moved from his bed in 2 weeks they do not have the staff or facilities to accomadate his re habilitation,he has had his hands bandaged and his arms tied to the side of the bed.

The flights are full ???????????????

ex desert dweller
26th Aug 2007, 16:39
Gentlemen
Surely from the tone of the last post it's time to stop the talking and get into action. Get Rad back to BAH.
As an ex long serving member of your Company there is nothing new in all your trials and tribulations, however one of the Companies greatest assets was it's ability to administer welfare and assistance when needed. I hope that ability has not left the Company. AGAIN STOP TALKING AND GET RAD BACK. After 31 years service surely this request is not unreasonable even in the current climate !!=
ex desert dweller

Sal-e
26th Aug 2007, 16:53
What can anyone do? Anyone who can do anything, now is the time!!

NO FD NO SRS
26th Aug 2007, 19:57
:sad:If any manager, head, VP reading these posts then please do not waste another day. please bring our teacher back home.

sirwa69
26th Aug 2007, 20:08
Visited Rad today in the hospital in Pafos and I have to agree with Roni it's desperate there. She told me that the VP S&M has approved the 10 free seats required to bring him back but there are a number of forms to fill in which she is doing her best with but would appreciate some help from the Gulf Air medical staff. The other major problem though is that the flights are full. It is the end of the school holidays after all.

Rad has certainly lost a lot of weight, and he wasn't exactly tubby to start with. However the good news is that all the faculties are there he recognised us and is currently able to pull himself up using a handle above him. Roni was feeding him a pie when we got there and I was accused of teasing him cause I had a beer bottle on my shirt. Also glad to see the copy of Flight International next to him which he reads when no visitors are around. Now if we could rig up a laptop and an internet connection he'll be on this site.
I am sure that when we can get him back to Bahrain we can organise an internet link for him.

All he needs now is food and excersize (in Bahrain) and the love of his friends.

On On

Icarus
26th Aug 2007, 20:28
The forms for medical clearance came in over the weekend and approval was provided today (first day of the working week) by GF medical, subject to a couple of things. After receiving approval from EVPSM early last week he has now been asked to look at the 1-Sep flight back to Bahrain for Capt Gammage to be accommodated on and we hope to see a positive response over the next day or so. However, insurance is still to advise the best hospital in Bahrain for Capt. Gammage, that being made known after the most up-to-date medical report is recieved from Paphos which has been requested today. Hopefully by mid-week this particular phase will come to a positive conclusion. There are a number of people doing as much as they can to help out here and things are falling into place; admitedly slowly and not as quick as many would like to see, myself included, however there is a lot going on not just said.

Fokkerwokker
27th Aug 2007, 14:18
Thanks for the update.

Bestest to Rad and Roni for a succesful Medevac and hoping that he is restored to good health VERY soon!

As aye

FW

Noahs Arc
28th Aug 2007, 05:49
He is a gentleman that few like him around these days.We will pray for him for healthy life.

radron1
28th Aug 2007, 07:28
I have also have visited Rad and let me tell you he just does not need food and excerse I have no idea who that other person visited but it was not Captain Gammage..

Rad is unable to sit up on his own. He has movement in his right arm but it is limited The left arm has next to no movement .

He is unable to feed himself and that is why Ronnie was trying to feed him some pie. He cannot speak as there is a hole in his throat which constantly flushes out mucas from his lungs, and the only way to try to get some communication from Rad is by placing your fingers over the hole so he can whisper a few words.

Rad has lost all dignity as he is in nappies, and his wife Ronni has to change him, as staff is not available in the hospital.

This man can take no more, his word of the day today was DEMORALISED.
Anyone would think he was scared of flying, just get him out.

ex desert dweller
28th Aug 2007, 13:04
Does that last post clarify the urgency to get Rad out of Cyprus for proper treatment and eventual rehabilitation?. How much humilliation does one have to suffer for anybody to be convinced.

Desperate needs call for desperate measures Ron. Try Speedy Motors ....

Icarus
30th Aug 2007, 09:57
Earlier this week the insurance company had a change of heart and agreed that MEDEVAC was above & beyond the annual individual claim limit. Hence the offer from EVPSM has been put into the 'back pocket' in case the insurers drag their heels. Today they have confirmed admittance into the BDF in Bahrain for Capt. Gammage. It is now just a matter of the flight and associated issues to schedule. I am advised that the insurers are working on this today. I am also told that should a commercial flight not be available and/or appropriate they are liable for an air ambulance. Things looking much better now to get Rad back to Bahrain in the very very near future.

scanscanscan
31st Aug 2007, 06:48
Well...that is all settled then....congratulations all round....medically fit to travel on a stretcher over a month ago...GF really look after their staff.:yuk:

radron1
1st Sep 2007, 14:43
words fail me......1st sept as promised has been and gone, we are still here in Paphos and guess what no news from the insurance company.Yes they are working on it.????
l have called GF Larnaca and surprize surprize he is not booked on the Tuesday 4th september flight, either, flight also full.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now at my tethers end
I cannot take much more of these false promises. Rad cannot understand why he has not been air lifted out by a company that he has been devoted to for 31 years .
Today I relised he was deterating when I encouaged him to try and remember his pin number for his mobile phone, We got there eventually, but then when handing him his phone he tried to drink it??????????.

I am so humbled by certain people who are trying so hard to assist .
I appreaciate all who have tried to help . But I am still here.

Ray Darr
1st Sep 2007, 15:41
To those in power that be...

When I was at Gulf Air, I met Mr. Gammage a few times. He certainly was a nice chap, and everyone spoke highly of him. Although I did not know him well, WORDS FAIL ME AND EVERYONE that YOU, the people who run Gulf Air that have the power and means to make his repatriation happen, have not GOTTEN OFF YOUR A$$ to fulfill promises made and help him and his family OUT! He flew his share of your passengers for most of his life - and simply needs a flight back for a better chance at life! Give the guy a damn break.

And unlike I heard someone in the medical department there said, it's NOT all up to god. You are a part of helping out.

Shame on you, whoever is dragging their feet on this and not putting into action where promises were made. This happened over TWO MONTHS ago and still he's not home yet (to be fair, less the time he had recovered enough to travel)??

Now, how about COMMUNICATING to his family about what is going on regarding repatriating him? End speculation / confusion / frustration. Put yourselves in their position for once.

Speedy recovery, Rad.

scanscanscan
1st Sep 2007, 18:09
IMHO...GF have decided to kill him by neglect.....
Wake up everybody and be aware...this could be any Gf staff member unlucky enough to get sick and not co-operate and die down route.......
This mans treatment by GF is turning into a total disgrace....delay is killing him and reducing his chances of benifiting from rehab....
I hope all crew now refuse to fly...until this man is flown back to Bahrain for proper treatment and rehab according to his contract.

ex desert dweller
2nd Sep 2007, 19:47
Absolutely disgraceful...

Current and any prospective employees should read the full content of this thread to assess their prospects should they happen to fall ill.

Obviously there have been individual efforts to solve the problem of Rads repatriation but there would appear to be no coordination where it matters.

Rad and Roni appreciate those efforts but he's still in Cyprus.

Surely it would not be unreasonable to expect the GF Medical Authority, who I would suggest have responsibility for sick Staff members, to liaise with the Hospital and Medical Staff in Cyprus and the relevant Insurance Authorities and not leave the problem in the hands of well meaning individuals.

Certainly the burden (because that's how it appears} of Rads repatriation for treatment should not be placed at Roni and Rads door.

Whoever has the authority to authorise the repatriation please don't leave it too much longer, you're destroying a man, a loyal long serving Captain in your Company, and putting massive stress on his wife.

jollyikarus
2nd Sep 2007, 21:09
Really utterly disgusting the way this is being handled by the employer (GF)!
There used to be a time when the Arabs appreciated, respected and rewarded loyalty, even from expats. But this is the Middle East now....
This should really be a warning to all expats working in the Middle East or considering to go there - cover yourself and get as soon as possible a 'homebase' again back home where, if the worst comes to the worst, you can repatriate to!
Keeping my fingers crossed for the poor guy and really wish him all the best for a speedy recovery!
jollyikarus

Bombay HF
3rd Sep 2007, 01:24
Would it be possible to make an approach to the King to make available one of his Royal Flight aircraft to fly Rad back. This would be a nice gesture by the Royal Family to a man that has spent so much time in Bahrain. I'm sure that those aircraft would have suitable facilities for medical cases assuming a Royal Family member became ill whilst outside Bahrain.

AAIGUY
3rd Sep 2007, 02:44
I fail to understand why the flight crews have not told the sandnigger Gulf Air Management that they are simply not going to fly till this is fixed.
You guys are all typed on current on the airbus, there are 1000's of jobs out there... take a stand for christsakes.

Fokkerwokker
3rd Sep 2007, 08:16
AAIGUY

With respect I do not think the tone of your posting will help Rad and Roni.

A small edit perhaps?

FW

Icarus
3rd Sep 2007, 08:34
Capt. Gammage is now booked LCA-BAH on Cyprus Airways this Thursday 6-Sep. I understand admission to the BDF hospital on arrival.

JoeJack
3rd Sep 2007, 12:32
What a BIG, MASSIVE shame for Gulf Air.

It not olny took ages, but also comes to a point that Capt. Gammage has to be booked on Cyprus Airways!!! This airline lack of initiative and people to be accountable of it never ceases to amaze me! Unbelievable!

Glad to hear that Rad will be soon in BAH (although this could have happened a LOT earlier). Wishing an expeditious recovery surrounded by his loved ones.

brassplate
3rd Sep 2007, 14:25
you're right joe, what a shambles...this is an example of the recent new package not being everything but the company as a whole package.
back to the topic at hand,
Icarus, please let us know if ongoing financial assistance would help the Gammage family and if there is a fund in place to enable this. i think after all that Rad and Ron have had to endure, the least we can do is be pro-active for them, non of this inshallah crap!!

kaybee5000
3rd Sep 2007, 14:42
I am not a pilot but knew Rad and Roni socially when I worked in Bahain 14 odd years ago. As other posters have already noted Rad is a true gentlemen and I trust, like you all, he is able to recover from this illness. As for GF....enough has been said. I hope someone will be able to monitor Rad's progress at BDF hospital and keep us updated.

Take care Rad and Roni.

Keith Blackburn

411A
3rd Sep 2007, 14:56
I find it rather strange (in a very sad sort of way) that a well known long flying Gulf carrier like GF can treat their staff in such a shabby way...

versus...

A small carrier with three old Lockheed three-holers that normally only fly the Hajj, and having, on the very last flight, an accident with a crew bus in Egypt where a First Officer was tossed out of a window at 40kmh, suffering rather massive head injuries, med-evac'ed to (first) an Egyption hospital, then a Jordanian hospital, and when well enough to travel to the USA, a f/c seat to his home, where further medical treatment was totally paid for by the company, including salary and bonus.
He is now back to full flying status, thanks to the very quick action of the company management.

On further reflection, I shouldn't be surprised at all by GF's in-action, as apparently those in charge are simply to busy lining their pockets.:(

felipe56
3rd Sep 2007, 19:02
Sorry I am with AAIGUY on this one. The company (GF) have acted disgracefully and the flightdeck are a bunch of wimps. Why in Gods name did we invent a parking brake! Stop flying and management will listen!

Back in the days when the Royal Air Force was a force to be reckoned with we would have gone off on a training flight, diverted to Cyprus and got the job done!

I appreciate that today is different but only because that's what you have chosen.

Captain Gammage I hope that the quality of life improves for you and I wish you and you family well.

felipe56

parabellum
3rd Sep 2007, 23:52
Felipe56 and AAIGUY - The Bahrain Labour Laws may have changed but, at one time, it was illegal to strike and to do so was punishable by gaol.
Ever been to the Bahrain Gaol?

Add to that the fact that only a very small percentage of pilots would strike and that would leave the brave few to face the music on their own.
What might have happened in an RAF environment in the past is of little relevance to Rad's case, military and commercial aviation are a world apart.

SCATANA
4th Sep 2007, 01:59
Nope, the rules haven't changed. It's still illegal to go on strike here.

cantilever
4th Sep 2007, 07:27
How could going on strike possibly help Rads case!:ugh:

Would it not be a better longterm option to head up to UK for Rehab?
I have doubts about the long term honouring of the Medical bills in BAH. lets hope they prove me wrong.

I hope it all works out for Rad, he deserves to be looked after.
Get Well!

Desert Diner
4th Sep 2007, 07:53
What exactly is the current GF health care coverage?

Jim Walsh
4th Sep 2007, 07:55
Keith Blackburn,
Jim Walsh here, still in this neck of the woods. All of us at the Brit Club
doing what we can to pressurize Gulf Air and hopefully it will happen this week. Regular updates on his condition will be posted once he is safely back in Bahrain, take care and all the best.

Rad and Roni, We wish you both well and will assist in whatever way we can.

radron1
4th Sep 2007, 09:28
Have just heard that Rad is no longer on the Cyprus flight, but has been rescheduled to fly to Athens with a one hour forty five transit ,then on to Gulf Air Flight Athens Bahrain in a wheel chair sitting passenger business class. His round trip will be approx 12 hours as appox the 2hr and 10 min .
HE IS NOT A WHEEL CHAIR CASE HE IS A STRETCHER CASE

ronni cannot accompany him the ambulance and has also found out that she has not been booked on any of these flight.

As a friend staying to help I can tell you all ,she is at breaking point now as she is currently in discussions again with america , re his evacuation , due to the shambles . also Gulf Air are insisting on a photo copy again of Captains passport, she is telephoning travel agents to try to accompany her husband. and is currently at the hospital to talk to his doctor. Will inform of any other news.. Bahrain has been informed of changes.

Jim Walsh
4th Sep 2007, 11:04
This is indeed bad news and shows how unbelievably clueless GF Management are. I hope the little action I have just taken, will sort this situation out. let's wait and see.

kaybee5000
4th Sep 2007, 11:45
Jim

Thanks for the note. The latest 'travel arrangements' for Rad are a joke. I will check in for updates.

ATB Keith

Icarus
4th Sep 2007, 11:55
Yes the latest travel arrangements are a joke; but GF are at the behest of the (rather poorly performing) insurance companies involved and they have been advised of Gulf Air's dissatisfaction in no uncertain terms earlier today. It is all well and good critisising Gulf Air but despite several attempts to influence the decisions being made by the insurers has and continues to prove just about impossible. Taking things into their own hands may just result in invalidating the policy and any subsequent claims; surely that is a risk one too many.

Rad is booked as a wheelchair passenger LCAATH on Aegean Airlines 1200/1345 to connect to GF42 at around 1500 arriving Bahrain 1900-ish. Mrs Gammage is being provided with an FOC ticket to accompany Capt Gammage on the Gulf Air flight Thursday alongside Rad and two medical escorts.

Sal-e
4th Sep 2007, 12:08
Maybe an opportunity for GF to switch Insurance companies. Those guys have always been bastards. Threatening a policy cancellation may get someone off their arses!!

kaybee5000
4th Sep 2007, 16:41
Icarus, sorry mate if my last post came across the wrong way.

You are right re insurance companies of course. I am not knocking GF as such. However, Rad came down with his illness some two months ago. In any industry this is a bad repsonse by all responsible parties concerned. Enough said about this though; the thread is first and foremost about the well being of Rad and Roni.

KB

Icarus
4th Sep 2007, 17:38
No offence taken.

It has been disappointing not to have managed to achieve things more quickly and it has been thoroughly frustrating at times, no where near as frustrating as things have clearly been for Mrs Gammage but frustrating non-the-less with things having to take a different direction at short notice and inconvenience to what were at the time best laid plans. My issue is the critisism of Gulf Air as a company as a whole which I believe is somewhat unfair. The insurance company have dragged their heels beyond belief and I dare not repeat some of things that they have communicated. I rather hope now that things will work out fine on Thursday. Certainly I can guarantee that Gulf Air are doing all possible to make sure that the trip is completed as efficiently and as comfortably as possible for Mr & Mrs Gammage.

That will not be the end of it of course. We still have to complete the set up of the voluntary donation scheme internally at Gulf Air to help Mrs Gammage with costs not covered by Insurance and Rad's ongoing rehabilitation and try to faciliate dontations from interested parties outside of Gulf Air.

radron1
4th Sep 2007, 19:14
when I went to collect Ronie from the hospital, I can tell you from my heart that I broke down in tears to see Rads wife on his chest (WHAT IS LEFT OF IT) crying in each others arms on the eve of their 21st wedding annerverisay.

Yes Roni is an angel in disguise, but even her wings cannot fly her to athens from pahpos via taxi to Larnaca.

Thank you Gulf air for the FOC tkt from Athens, but why could he and Roni not be flown today or earlier.

Rads quote of this day "I am scared and I fear that I might be off loaded from Agegeon airline. Do not say I am a Captain"

company !!!Insurance !!!Company!!! Insurance!!!.

Let us all hope and pray for Rad.

Rads words today were " I fear that Aegean will off load me ,i want to die, do not call me captain on the flight but I will try .

"

Jim Walsh
5th Sep 2007, 06:13
Do we know who the insurance provider is??
Perhaps we can apply some pressure ...diplomatically!!!
Rad and Roni, safe journey.

AAIGUY
5th Sep 2007, 07:50
Can't you all just throw in 50 bucks each and buy the guy a ticket home?

ironbutt57
5th Sep 2007, 08:04
At one point that was in the works don't really know the outcome/progress along those lines...Icarus???

Sal-e
5th Sep 2007, 12:35
Actually, it was 100BHD. Standing by.

Icarus
5th Sep 2007, 13:33
The Donation Scheme is intended for Rad's rehabilitations and sundry expenses not covered by Insurance; that plan is still there and with luck will be delivered and made available in the next couple of weeks.

As for Capt. Gammages trip home (well, at least to the BDF) has been turned upside down again around mid-day today! Rad will now travel LCABAH on Cyprus Airways as a stretcher case Thursday evening, arriving in Bahrain around 1940 local. This has been at the request of the medical team who have now decided that a 'sitting case' on Aegean/Gulf Air via Athens in inappropriate. Rad will have two medical escorts. We are now doing our best to get Roni a seat on the same flight as it would be most inappropriate for them to be split up and God forbid Roni left for Bahrain and something happened in LCA and Rad could not travel which I can only imagine would be her worst nightmare at this stage. CCO (EVPSM) has been asked for a ticket approval, we are just waiting for a response.

There are still matters to arrange a smooth arrival at Bahrain for Mrs Gammage and we will set tht up tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed, this part of this terrible ordeal will be over in an little over 24 hours.

Capt Al Fakhem
5th Sep 2007, 14:45
ATTENTION NAFF

One of your longest serving employees is in dire need of the company's support; the same support he showed the last 30 years to this damn airline.

NOW GET THE FINGER OUT AND GET THE MAN HOME NOW

What do you need a frigging act of parliament to authorise a ticket LCA-BAH?

SHAME ON YOU

Icarus
5th Sep 2007, 15:03
Approval was granted very shortly after my last post and the ticket has been issued.

No longer ATC
5th Sep 2007, 17:09
Not directly relevant, but back in DXB in 1986 working for BCAL I was hit by a car outside crew hotel. Spent 3 weeks in local hospital then stretchered back. This was 1 week before Xmas so flights all chokka. Needless to say, BCAL pulled out all the stops for one of their own. My parents were called at home within 1 hour, and were told to report to MAN ticket desk where there would be free F class tkts waiting, and room in crew hotel booked for as long as needed, all at BCAL expense.I was stretchered back, after BCAL offloaded several pax to accomodate stretcher, and BCAL also provided 2 medical staff for flight home. WHY CAN'T GF DO THIS ??????
Wishing Rad and Roni all the very best, and fingers crossed that all goes smoothly for the flt back.......

Sal-e
5th Sep 2007, 23:32
Actually, I feel that is the reason behind the whole nationalisation programs. They have no qualms about treating their own people like crap. Unfortunately, we get caught in the cross fire.

ironbutt57
6th Sep 2007, 06:18
On his way home!!!! A Gulf Air spokesman in the paper today said he was "unaware of the situation"...how sad

Icarus
6th Sep 2007, 07:52
Read the posts properly.

The MEDICAL TEAM made the change in Capt Gammages best interest so that he may travel on a stretcher. The insurers and the Doctors have booked this FIRST FLIGHT available ex LCA.

GF provided stretcher capacity late last week but the Insurers made the call to route via ATH almost immediately afterwards and then back tracked.
I imagine CY in Bahrain were contacted as the carrier and nothing more they have had no involvement other than to take a booking from a travel agent via the Doctors.

GF are doing their best to have Mrs Gammage on the same flight this afternoon as that is not covered by Insurance. GF would be quite happy again to bring Rad back but why wait until Saturday when there is another carriers flight today?

Get off your soap boxes and make sure your Easy password is up to date so you can donate to ongoing non-covered expenses once the facility is available. And let's all hope you can donate as largely and as loudly as you can critique!

Mach084
6th Sep 2007, 12:01
Great news finally seems old Rad will get back soon and will receive the much needed medical attention he deserves.

I very much agree that it is unthinkable that the GF spokesman was clueless as to Rad's situation. I wonder if it's the same spokesman we all know too well.

Icarus
6th Sep 2007, 14:48
Aicraft taxying out at LCA, Mr & Mrs Gammage, two medical escorts all present and correct.

kaybee5000
6th Sep 2007, 16:15
Best update so far Icarus - gud on yer. Hope the transfer goes well. Will look out for further updates.

KayBee

Panama Jack
6th Sep 2007, 17:46
Thanks for clarifying that for us Icarus. I also was dumbfounded by what I read in the GDN. Glad to hear he is on his way home. :ok:

ironbutt57
7th Sep 2007, 05:07
So now we have talked the talk...let us walk the walk...maybe better the contributions go directly to their bank account...get the picture??? I'll be first to step up to the plate..sept salary time...I only met Capt Rad once in my 16yrs here in the gulf...but time to rise to the occasion gentlemen...Ronnie will need our support as well...transport to the hospital groceries for herself...all the things a family needs and deserves....all help welcome... remember men like Rad and supporting wives like Ronnie have made our GF careers a possiblity....forget the boat trip next week or the fancy dinner...contribute to our colleague instead...there but for the grace of God go we....WELCOME HOME RAD N RONNIE!!!!! yes thats right....HOME!!!!

and "we" means ALL GF crew....regardless of creed, color, race, religion, nationality, or sex...let us at GF show the rest of the airlines how the Golden Falcon spreads its wings to take care of it's own!!!!

Sal-e
7th Sep 2007, 05:30
Publish account details and I'll be there Sunday or Monday....hopefully in a queue with some of you guys.

felipe56
7th Sep 2007, 08:05
Please confirm that he is "home" safely.

ExSimGuy
7th Sep 2007, 08:27
Not crew, not GF Ground, just a FF Pax.

If I can manage 50 bucks for a meal at the GatBash next month, I'm sure I can manage a small donation to the Phund - err. . . Sorry . . . Fund :}

Can't do PayPal (won't take Mid-East credit cards) and bank transfers can be a pig (whoops!) - any chance of MoneyBookers? (www.moneybookers.com)

I'm quite often there on your side of the Causeway, but GF is full to UK for my up-coming (Ramadan!) vacation so having to go EK via DXB for a change, so can't do anything in person.

Only just seen this thread, but setting "email notification". If the company can't (for whatever reason) do it, friends can:ok:

ExSimGuy
7th Sep 2007, 08:47
Just an update as I have now read through all the pages (I read 1in 3 the first time around ;) )

Any credit card (VISA or M/C) can be used with MoneyBookers. (UK-based) It's easy to set up a "pay-in" account and, I'm told by others I have suggested it to, easy to get the money out at "the other end".

Charges are very low, and the system seems to work well and quickly. The only delay in setting up a "pay in" account is that you need to be able to confirm a small amount initially paid in in Euros, which you should be able to check with a phone call to your bank.

Should be a simple and fast way to collect donations from non-GF-staff.

God be with any expat who finds himself in Rad's situation - prayers for him.

Icarus
7th Sep 2007, 10:00
Yes. Flight arrived 2115 last night. Capt Gammage got off to the BDF reasonably quickly & smoothly. Mrs Gammage took an hour and a half to get through the formalities as there were issues at immigration with the Doctors. A doctor also checked in baggage and of course buggered off in the ambulance so there were issues getting that bag through without him being present. Mrs Gammage got to the BDF around 2330.

felipe56
7th Sep 2007, 12:25
ICARUS thanks for the news. I pray that Captain Gammage will benefit from a more familiar environment.

Simguy . Paypal works fine from this neck of the woods. I would not trust moneybookers.

ExSimGuy
7th Sep 2007, 12:35
Last time I tried PayPal, they refused my (Mid-East) card (I think someone else posted the same earlier)

I've been using Moneybookers for more than a year and no abuse (I'm pretty sure it's UK/EU regulated)

Standing-by for any input from Icarus. Now the Gammage family are home that's great news - Is financial support needed on-going? Be glad to chip in.

Icarus
7th Sep 2007, 12:59
We have a plan that hopefully will come to fruition soon internally within GF to allow dontations that will make thier way to Capt. & Mrs Gammage. As for external dontations, there are issues and contentions to overcome. It might be an idea to set up perhaps a 'fund raiser'. I notice that one or two British Club members have posted here, perhaps a highly inflated 'plate price' for a dinner at the club might be one line of attack? Perhaps thay might like to PM me and we work on this?

kaybee5000
7th Sep 2007, 16:09
ExSimGuy

See PM I sent re PayPal.

KB

ExSimGuy
7th Sep 2007, 16:14
Yes - I've received a couple on the subject. Maybe PayPal has changed their rules because I tried it some time ago and it didn't work then. That's why I started using MoneyBookers

Will give it a go! Thanks

Cloth Ears
7th Sep 2007, 19:36
I will post this message again because I think it is worth a look.. why not try www.justgiving.com (http://www.justgiving.com) you can fund raise for your own thing on there ???

then maybe everybody can contribute.. I did post this originally at 3pm uk time but it's not been posted for some reason ??

I was only trying to help given the serious situation ?? everything is worth a try as far as I was concerned after reading the threads ?????????:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Eliason
7th Sep 2007, 21:27
Wishing Capt. Gammage a speedy recovery now that he is back home!

As for the donation setting up - just saw on a different post here in PPruNe:
http://www.justgiving.com/

Maybe a page like that would help? I'm sure there are others like that out on the web as well!

Blue skies!

Eli

Jim Walsh
8th Sep 2007, 07:38
We are all glad Rad & Ronni are home. *Not surprised at the GF Spokesperson being unaware!! I would like to thank the GDN Publicly
for running the story and also making enquiries with Cyprus Airways, I wonder if that had anything to do with the flight changes, which were obviously beneficial. I have also discovered that it appears that Med Gulf are the insurers!! As per my sources!! If that is the case, I will ensure that I or my family, will never be covered by them!!
I am a member of the BC and will talk to some of our prominent members and see what we can do to raise some cash. I will kick off the donations with a small amount from my side. BD50.000. Hopefully this will assist in some small way. *Will speak with Chairman as well today.I know he is well aware.
GDN thanks for your assistance and follow up.

ExSimGuy
8th Sep 2007, 07:54
I guess what we need now is info from Icarus as to what Rad and Ronni's needs are now that they are back "home".

Once that's done, GF staff have (or will have!) ways of giving, as will non-GF people living in BAH (through the BC). Myself and (I think) one other who do not fit into either of those categories have indicated interest, but I wonder if there are enough more to make it worth setting up another route into the system?

If not, I would assume that there will be some on-going needs (depending on how GF look after them in the coming months) and I'll wait until after Ramadan when I would expect to be in BAH and passing by the BC quite often so Sirwa69 or someone else can sign me in to make a donation (I'll even buy the beer!)

Appreciate continuing status from Icarus et al, both as to Rad's condition and to the "situation".

Pretty sure I've never met Rad, unless he was the pilot who kindly let me "have a look up-front" on the heathrow flight a few years ago (first time I'd seen "Microsoft Windows" on the instrument panel:}) - however, I fly GF a lot and I guess he's trained a lot of the guys who fly me around the Gulf and to UK.

Just add "one" to the number of friends when you tell him how many are rooting for him next time you see him:)

Stu

kaybee5000
8th Sep 2007, 08:23
Like ExSimGuy I am neither GF staff nor a BC member anymore but would like to donate to the cause. Jim W can you help here? I can send you a draft or something.

Also agree with ExSimGuy with respect to Icarus' et al concise situation reports. Please keep them coming folks.:ok:

Keith B

Jim Walsh
8th Sep 2007, 08:41
Keith, no problem, my private email address is [email protected] drop me a note and we can get organized.
regards.

Icarus
8th Sep 2007, 08:58
I am not sure if it still remains appropriate to continue to provide information on Capt Gammages condition publicly now that the saga of repatriation is over. I would need to consult Mrs Gammage first.

All I will say is that Rad was moved to ICU at BDF yesterday for isolation. I understand this is nothing untoward, simply that as he came in from a foreign country and the treatment was not so good, it makes medical sense. Also, all the sundry items Mrs Gammage had to provide in Cyprus have been ordered away for contamination reasons; clearly Rad is getting treated much better here. In ICU he will also have access to dialysis without having to be moved around between appropriate wards etc.

I will talk to the family to see what are the immediate non-covered needs so that we can all aim to provide funds to help out. Does it make sense to be running multiple strands to do this (GF, Brit Club, Others?) or should we at least get together to work out best plans for a cohesive and transparent single way forward?

kaybee5000
8th Sep 2007, 11:49
Jim - thanks. Will be in touch shortly.

Icarus - you are right again of course. No public blow-by-blow reports needed now since the repatriation has successfully happened thank God - and anyway not appropriate as you rightly point out. Well done for those you did post though.

With regard to cenralising the fund raising effort I would suggest that Mrs Gammage be consulted along with any other efforts that are happening. I will await further information on this. In the interim I will liase with Jim W.

Kbee

HakunaMatata
9th Sep 2007, 21:15
Has anyone been to see Rad at the BDF

Icarus
10th Sep 2007, 05:54
Visiting in ICU is restricted. I guess once Capt Gammage resumes occupation outside of ICU then visitation at BDF is really quite open and you can turn up at any time generally. However, I am not sure what Mrs Gammage wants in terms of friends & acquaintances just turning up at the moment. Would you let me check and then I can place a 'guideline and wishes' on here for everyone?
Thanks.

gulfboy
10th Sep 2007, 08:47
Guys, wasn't there some mention of organizing a fundraising dinner or something like that? Would have to be after Ramadan, I guess...

radron1
10th Sep 2007, 15:38
It is wit regreat that I have to say c

ExSimGuy
10th Sep 2007, 15:58
Sh*t - Sounds like really bad news . . . . :(

Standing by .. . .

(edited) My (all of our) sympathy to Ronnie. What else can one say? Rad will be in my prayers. God be with him

Stu

ironbutt57
10th Sep 2007, 22:20
With all due respect to Ronnie....lets put a halt to any fruther posts here...UFN..pls!!!

Hogwash
11th Sep 2007, 01:49
Hi Tinbum keep me informed about what happens will you.

If Allen Mansell reads this would you send me a private message please. I have lost your e address.

noflare
11th Sep 2007, 06:11
Sorry IB but those of us not in BAH who knew Rad for many years have no other means of showing our respect.

RIP Rad god bless from all your friends in EY.

Propellor
11th Sep 2007, 15:52
Rest in peace, Rad. You are missed from the whole lot of us.

To Ms. Gammage, our heartfelt condolences. He was a thorough professional and gentleman, rolled into one.
If there is anything that this community could do, please let it be known.
Propellor

Fokkerwokker
11th Sep 2007, 16:55
Always an optimist I was very saddened indeed to hear the news about Rad.

Rad and I joined Gulfair in '74 when we were on the same F27 course at the Fokker factory in AMS. I stumbled across our course photograph the other day oddly enough - a couple of fresh faced boys surviving on a diet of boiled eggs as I remember correctly.

During the time I knew him, until I left GF in '86, I was always amused by his arrid sense of humour - somewhat drier than the Rub al'Khali! We flew together on a number of occasions, on the Friendship and Tristar, and you could always guarantee a social time with Rad onboard.

Always a reliable team player he stayed the distance in GF and went on to mentor many young pilots over many years. He served the airline for a faithful 33 years by my reckoning. A remarkable feat.

The sky has reclaimed forever a true aviator of the old school..

Blue skies and scattered cu Rad.

Al

naceur
12th Sep 2007, 00:24
je ne connais pas cette personne
mes condoleances pour ses proches
qu'il repose en paix

Mach084
12th Sep 2007, 11:45
We have lost a great guy. May your last flight old mate be in blue skies, I am proud to have know you. You will be remembered.

I would like to convey the request of Ronnie for people not to write anymore on Pprune about Rad. I understand that most of you share our loss and wish to express your condolences but please refrain from posting anymore.

I would kindly ask the moderator to lock this thread and at the same time thank everyone here for their show of support throughout.

Safe flying to all
Mach