PDA

View Full Version : Buying Multi Engine Time

Aviator500
4th Jul 2007, 13:25
I was wondering whether it is adviseable to buy some multi engine time to get a start once you have your CPL and ME IR? Would charter operators look at you if you had multi time but low hrs - TT?

THE IRON MAIDEN
4th Jul 2007, 13:39
The indusrty is on the way up. (so I've been told)

No one will give you a job flying twins with 200hrs or even 300hrs. 750 to 1000hrs seem to be the window to move from singles to twins.

Try and get a gig with a company that has 206s/10s and twins. once you get some time (dont bend any planes) you'll be prime to move up..

In the mean time keep the IR current. Maybe buy an hr or two every month or so just to keep it current and start geting some time. But I wouldnt spend thousands and thousands of money on twin hours.

but thats just my opinon. anyone else?

anyone?

neville_nobody
4th Jul 2007, 13:48
It's a tricky one this one. Whilst times are good, in GA it appears noone is changing their minimums, you still need twin time to get twin time. I have mates who have refused to buy time who are still bugsmashing because they are still chasing twin time. Those who bought time jumped the queue and are now jet jockeys. It's certainly not fair however it seems that both for instructors and charter if you buy time you get ahead. No I didn't buy time.

Towering Q
4th Jul 2007, 14:10
Would charter operators look at you if you had multi time but low hrs - TT? Probably not. As Iron Maiden pointed out, 700hrs on singles is usually the minimum to start with a twin operator.

Many pilots have started at my company with very little twin time, just the bare endorsements and initial MECIR, but always with total time between 500 and 1000hrs, and sometimes more.

In some ways this can be an advantage for a charter outfit, as the new pilot will normally stick around for a year or so racking-up that all important 500 multi.

Aviator500
5th Jul 2007, 00:04
Thanks all. The reason I have asked this question is that I can either go down the road of obtaining a JAA license (convert my ICAO CPL) where the industry seems quite good at the moment (in the UK) and turboprop operators are recruiting pilots fresh out of a flight school with CPL/IR and ATPL theory. Alternatively I was thinking of staying here and building Multi time to try for an operator of both S/E or M/E a/c. I suppose it is just a dilema that many new pilots face with low hrs and trying to get a start in the industry. I am in my late 20's and I suppose looking for the best (obviously no guarantees) route to get to the airlines as soon as possible...if possible:ugh: