PDA

View Full Version : Sim Check

solocmv
4th Jul 2007, 09:15
Hey All,
I have my first Sim. evaluation next week for a possible job:bored:.
What should I know?
Where is the first time trap?
How should I prep?

Cheers,
Solocmv.

WynSock
4th Jul 2007, 10:51
er...

You should know how to fly, thats always a trap for first timers.

Hey, wait a minute. Weren't you they guy trying to sell me a free mobile phone from Bangalore the other day?

:E

Mr. Hat
4th Jul 2007, 11:14
what sort of sim mate? 76 73 m23.....?

Sprite
4th Jul 2007, 11:21
I have done two sim evaluations and got the job in both cases. Firstly, know what you are required to do. There should be information either from the company or here about what goes on in the check. Practice the exercise first. From my limited experience they seem to involve hand flying skills. Be able to fly within tolerences for IFR. Practice NDB intercepts as this seems common. Also flying an a/c you've never flown before and being able to fly accurate speeds, headings, altitudes. By accurate i mean speed within 5 knots. Heading within 5 degrees. Altitude within 100 feet, but that is the edge of the envelope, try for exact speeds, headings, altitudes.

I havent seen any 'tricks' thrown in. Mostly they are as advertised. Just try to relax and take your time to do things accurately.

Good luck.

cribble
4th Jul 2007, 11:23
"Trust the Force, Luke...."
Seriously though: don't bull*hit, remember your basic scan and try to keep in "the heart of the envelope". Anyone worth working for is not going to be wanting a test pilot. You have the sim ride, you must have at least something they are looking for.

good luck.

solocmv
4th Jul 2007, 11:41
Hey to all.
Mr. Hat 73.

Cheers,
Solocmv.

Tee Emm
4th Jul 2007, 14:26
If you have never flown a jet before then you should seriously consider obtaining an hour's practice session in a Level 5 jet simulator of the aircraft type that you are doing the assessment check on. Your choice of Alteon in Brisbane, or Ansett Flight Simulator Centre or Qantas both in Melbourne.

onya
4th Jul 2007, 19:38
........you should seriously consider obtaining an hour's practice session in a Level 5 jet simulator .

Level 5??!! Have I missed something here. Thought we were only up to level 4. And then there's the space shuttle of course.

:O

bodex666
5th Jul 2007, 06:57
After doing a sim check I got asked if I had paid for sim hours for preperation. I hadnt and said "I believe the sim check is to show you I can improve throughout the sim" I got told spot on and got through. I've heard of people who hired the sim and did a few hours, aced the sim and got hammered because the sim instructor cant asess if the candidate can learn quickly. My 2 cents, find someone who has done the sim, get an idea of what will happen and study the charts provided.

Mr. Hat
5th Jul 2007, 09:08
If you have access to a fast enough computer and a flight sim have a look for 73 sim stuff - pmdg i think is a popular one. One word of caution though....if you do not have much time be careful with this as it can be time consuming..setting it up ect. If you know someone that has used it or is already flying the machine and computer literate the ask for their help.

Practice.

Tee Emm
5th Jul 2007, 13:34
I've heard of people who hired the sim and did a few hours, aced the sim and got hammered because the sim instructor cant asess if the candidate can learn quickly

I would have to question that statement. It has nothing to do with how much improvement you show within a given time frame of 30 minutes. There is simply no time available to watch for measured improvement because you only get one crack at each test sequence. You can fly either within reasonable tolerances or you can't. It all depends on what preparation you have made and your own flying skills. If you have a bad day and spend the ILS weaving left and right through the localiser and up and down the glide slope and speed shot to pieces due slow scan habits then the instructor doesn't give you a second go just to see if you improve. You become history..

The assessing simulator instructor is looking for your basic raw data instrument flying ability and that is why the simulator used (737, 747, or 767) is dumbed down in weights and flap left extended in order to keep the speeds for general flying and ILS near to Chieftain speeds. The instructor can generally tell within the first ten minutes whether or not you have any hope of passing a full type rating course if the airline gives you a job. Remember also, the flight deck of a big jet is markedly different to any GA aircraft you have flown and this aspect alone takes getting used to even before you try your first and only steep turns in a 737/767 simulator.:ok: