PDA

View Full Version : USN Transfers

Hazer88DU
4th Jul 2007, 06:13
Ive been wondering, i know alot of the RAAF F/A 18 pilots go for transfers to USAF and end up flying USAF F-15, and ive heard theres a USN pilot whos transfered to the RAAF... but is it possible for RAAF pilots to go through transfers to the USN (and obviously) go through USN pilot training (by transfering to USN im talking about fixed winged aircraft transfers and training).

helopat
4th Jul 2007, 07:14
Don't know whether you can go from RAAF/RAN to the USN (whether it be rotary or fixed wing) but I can say with 100% certainty you can do it the other way round.

HP

L J R
4th Jul 2007, 11:34
Quote:

i know alot of the RAAF F/A 18 pilots go for transfers to USAF and end up flying USAF F-15

Really? Exchange or actually 'Join' the USAF......

Please define 'a lot'.....

Runaway Gun
4th Jul 2007, 14:24
I suspect the words "some" and "exchange" are needed there....

HAL Pilot
4th Jul 2007, 18:07
All USAF and USN pilots are officers. You have to be a U.S. citizen to be an officer in the U.S. military. Because it takes a few years to gain citizenship after immigrating, I doubt there are any RAAF to USAF or USN direct transfers. Exchange pilots - yes. Transfers - no.

BootFlap
4th Jul 2007, 19:50
HAL,
but can you get US Citizenship through marriage? Would this make a quick transfer easy?
PS I see you live in Vegas. I assume you are a citizen of the US. I love you!

wessex19
4th Jul 2007, 22:27
its not uncommon for RAAF/RAN pilots to complete exchange tours with the USN and USMC (for RAAF). I have met a couple of RAAF knuckle heads who have become carrier qualified while flying on exchange with the USN.

brickhistory
4th Jul 2007, 22:42
but can you get US Citizenship through marriage?

No

Hazer88DU
5th Jul 2007, 04:25
Woah slow down... ok a simple typo and everyone is getting on edge coz of a couple of words, ok before you continue to start shooting me down about my the way i wrote the question, i ment that i have heard of RAAF F-18 pilots going on transfers (exchange and otherwise) to USAF F-15 (if u want me to be specific, the story ive heard bout some of these pilots is they go to an AFB in Texas i cant remember the AFB it was but the story was it was in Texas) and i simply asking whether or not RAAF pilots could become carrier qualified (as in work of carriers or go exchange with USN)... sorry if I didnt get the message across correctly

HAL Pilot
5th Jul 2007, 04:57
but can you get US Citizenship through marriage? No. You can get a Green Card (Alien Resident) and start the citizenship process, but it will still take you years to become a citizen.

L J R
5th Jul 2007, 05:18
RAAF Pilots have done the following in the US military on exchange at some stage over the last decade (and beyond):

F-15 Pilot (& Nav)
F-18 Pilot
F-16 Pilot
F-111 Pilot (& Nav)
Global Hawk (whatever)

...numerous other types - C-130, KC-135, P3, Trainers, etc.....

...and lets not forget the rotary types too.

They have done this for years, at numerous bases on numerous marks of types and received numerous qualifications - Including Carrier Qual.

This is all in the public domain, and nothing new.

...as far as joining the US military, the BIG issue is the residency/nationality, as well as the minor point of a college degree (Something that few RAAF pilots actually have).

herkman
5th Jul 2007, 07:26
We need to clarify the situation in regard to obtaining entry.

For an enlisted man, say airman aircrew, the requirement is that you must have permanent residency, not an easy thing to obtain. But if you have that, depending on the USA requirements, you can enlist provided you enter into an agreement that you will become a US citizen as soon as the waiting time was up. This period used to be 2 years.

For officers I am not so sure, I have only had contact with one USAF Captain who was originally an Australian, but his mother married an Americian and he went to school and university over there, and I guess along the way he gained citizenship.

Whilst in Vietnam, I met a T/SGT C130 loadmaster who held Scottish nationality, but told me that when they looked like putting the hard word on him to change, he was going home. He had been a member of the RAF, but when he enlisted in the USAF was a civilian.

I think you will find that exchange duty is no big deal, to to move over into USA services, may not be easy.

Regards

Col Tigwell

The Helpful Stacker
5th Jul 2007, 07:47
I know that US citizenship is used as the carrot to attract many non-US born (from places like Costa Rica) into service in the US military as OR's but as has been said, I believe you have to already be an American to become an officer.

There was a discussion about this on Arrse a while back and I believe the process involves going through the military attache at the US embassy, having to leave the British military, renounce your British citizenship and serve a minimum of 3 years in the US military.

It could be one of those urban myths things though as everyone seems to know a friend of a friend who had done it.

bad livin'
5th Jul 2007, 10:48
The ex's brother did it, and serves as a Sgt mover equivalent at McChord in Washington. Gets paid an allowance to live off camp that pays his share of a mortgage on a rather nice large new build house in Tacoma.

Not bad eh?