PDA

View Full Version : FUSES

Wunwing
4th Jul 2007, 00:09
Does anyone have a source for 4AG fuses, particuarly low values?
I help maintain a number of historic, flying (1950s) aircraft and we are faced with replacing the fuse holders. Expensive and not original.
Thanks
Wunwing

Lancelot37
4th Jul 2007, 20:43
Does anyone have a source for 4AG fuses, particuarly low values?
I help maintain a number of historic, flying (1950s) aircraft and we are faced with replacing the fuse holders. Expensive and not original.
===================================

Have you tried these people?

http://www.aerco.co.uk/Catalogue-Cat_Fuses_5.htm

Try also Google.com

Wunwing
4th Jul 2007, 21:35
Thanks Lancelot. I've tried Google et al which supplied some larger values which at this stage we don't need. Similarly all the aircraft and electrical supply businesses (including aerco) have no listing. 4AGs are no longer produced, except for some strange reason in auto car sound systems which don't use the values we need.The 3AGs now used don't fit snugly in the fuse holder.
As our aircraft are used for flying and museum display we are trying to keep them as original as possible while keeping them to a good operational standard.
Thanks for the help
Wunwing

Cypherus
6th Jul 2007, 19:39
Had a similar problem, though not electrical with a vintage airframe a few years back and recall well the heated debate that raged on for weeks about using original parts no longer available and hideously expensive too have reproduced against acceptable readily available modern materials.

The anoraks would have the plane reduced to static display rather than give ground in an effort too maintain as they saw it ‘Continuity of Originality’ as one of them put it while the engineers argued that the goal was too fly the thing and not just stand and gawk at it.

In the end it comes down too the original mandate to commence work, ‘To Fly or Not to Fly’ ect and as a result all efforts should be made to obtain and use original parts but in the event that such parts are no longer available through lack of supply or cost of manufacture then alternatives should be sourced and systems modified accordingly to use such parts.

In our case we won the day on this argument alone and modifications too the control runs were made too incorporate modern material pulleys and guides as a result reducing maintenance cost for the future life of the airframe without altering the external visuals of the aircraft which in the end is the view that the vast majority will ever have of any airframe.

In your case the fact that suitable original fuses are no longer available and modern alternatives are it’s a no brainer really, mod the panels, fit modern fuses, inspect it, write up the logs and fly the thing.

Cremeegg
7th Jul 2007, 11:05
Wouldnt know a 4AG fuse if it hit me on teh head but as a sparks I find these people very good - http://www.thefusecompany.co.uk/ - but if you have Googled it you may already have tried them. Good luck

NutLoose
11th Jul 2007, 11:16
We aim to please,:8

Please see the attached link for stock held by LAS in the UK.......

http://www.lasaero.com/search.php?part=4AG+&desc=

A well known company use them for British parts for their Spitfire as they too are becoming hard to get... they do do a lot of the harder to find items.

tail wheel
12th Jul 2007, 12:18
What resistance values are you looking for?

4AG and 3AG fuses are readily available in Australia.

Blacksheep
12th Jul 2007, 12:28
The VOC ought to have plenty. In fact I should think they've already cornered the UK market in them... :suspect:

Wunwing
12th Jul 2007, 23:19
Tailwheel, we have had no luck in Australia.Plenty of 3AG but no 4AG so if you have a supplier I would appreciate if you could let me know.
4AG is 1/16" bigger diameter but the same length and in our old spring cap type holders they don't fit snug and may give intermittent contact which is not very good when the circuit contains valve amplifiers.
Our current problems are with low values particularly 1.5 amps which are common on instrument circuits. However we are attempting to stock up on all values as we have a number of old Lockheed aircraft which have the problem fuseholders.
Thanks to all for the advice
Wunwing