PDA

View Full Version : Downed pilots rescued by AH-64r

ORAC
3rd Jul 2007, 22:35
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A two-person Apache helicopter crew staged a dramatic rescue Monday, ferrying two of their comrades out of a combat zone south of Baghdad, military officials said Tuesday. The four of them flew away in a two-person Apache, with two in the cockpit and two others clinging to the outside of the chopper.

Here is the account from the military, which provided some video of the rescue:

"Enemy machine-gun fire brought down a OH-58D Kiowa attack helicopter piloted by two Task Force Marne soldiers in a location full of insurgents. The two downed pilots, both of whom received minor injuries, jumped out of the shot-down craft and threw themselves in a ditch of water to hide.

Two Army pilots in a AH-64 Apache helicopter -- braving insurgent fire -- came to assist them. Watch downed pilots scramble onto rescue chopper (http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/07/03/iraq.pilots.rescued/index.html#cnnSTCVideo)»

Because the rescue helicopter only had room for two, one of the Apache pilots gave up his seat in the chopper to one of the Kiowa pilots, and that Apache pilot and the other Kiowa pilot situated themselves outside the craft.

An Air Force Thunderbolt II destroyed the downed helicopter with two 500-pound laser-guided bombs after the pilots were evacuated from the area," the military said.

Marne troops have been taking on militants south of Baghdad and in one of the areas termed "Baghdad belts" southeast of the capital.

The military did not specify exactly where the rescue took place or how far the crew had to fly to reach safety

Squirrel 41
4th Jul 2007, 06:10
Great job - happy July 4th to all concerned!

(And yes, Brits / Canuks / Aussies / Kiwis etc are allowed to celebrate "Commonwealth Thanksgiving" tonight....!)

Stay safe out there!

S41

Runaway Gun
4th Jul 2007, 07:53
One of the Apache pilots gave up his own seat, prefering instead to hang on outside :D Very commendable !!

moggiee
4th Jul 2007, 10:33
Because the rescue helicopter only had room for two, one of the Apache pilots gave up his seat in the chopper to one of the Kiowa pilots, and that Apache pilot and the other Kiowa pilot situated themselves outside the craft.
If that's true, I can't see the point as it would have degraded the effectiveness of the Apache crew - unless the Kiowa driver was too badly injured to hang onto the outside.

EDIT: Just watched the vid -that's precisely why they did it.

forget
4th Jul 2007, 10:48
............. I can't see the point as it would have degraded the effectiveness of the Apache crew - unless the Kiowa driver was too badly injured to hang onto the outside.

Damn it! That's taken the gloss off. Until now I'd thought these two guys knew what they were doing. :ugh:

moggiee
4th Jul 2007, 12:08
Damn it! That's taken the gloss off. Until now I'd thought these two guys knew what they were doing. :ugh:
I suppose watching the video would have told me that it was because one of the Kiowa drivers was hurt.

Well done to all involved.

maxburner
4th Jul 2007, 12:17
A brave act. Happy 4th of July to everyone concerned - indeed, to all our US colleagues and friends.

Background Noise
4th Jul 2007, 12:24
Hasn't this been done before by the brits?

ps - not suggesting its not a damn good effort.

foxtrot tango
4th Jul 2007, 12:26
One of the KW crew was put into the front seat because of suspected injuries and the fact that there is a different level of attachment security between the left and right side of the aircraft. Obviously at this point the AH-64D became a utility helicopter but that did not matter as there were a lot of assests available on scene.

Ewan Whosearmy
4th Jul 2007, 13:21
Why is there a different level of 'attachment security' between the two sponsons?

Jaguar Pilot
4th Jul 2007, 18:31
"An Air Force Thunderbolt II destroyed the downed helicopter with two 500-pound laser-guided bombs"

Why two?

Staff College teacheth "One of the principles of war":

economy of effort

foxtrot tango
5th Jul 2007, 01:48
The Apache was not designed to carry pax on the FABs/EFABs, that capability has come about because of tactical need. If you ride on the left side there are step/handles that are used to climb up on top to inspect the rotorhead to which you attach yourself. They are very strong and can carry a load if needed. If you sit on the right side the only place to latch on to is a handle used to climb up on the FAB/EFAB and is of much lighter construction. I have seen one break when a maintainer climbed up to work in the cockpit(he was quite large though).
The proper technique is to sit with your back against the fuselage, sort of tucked behind the nose gearbox on the engine and to brace your feet against the Hellfire racks. It is easier on a Longbow because of the wider EFABs.
FAB- Forward Avionics Bay
EFAB- Extended " " "

Robert Cooper
5th Jul 2007, 02:50
Same thing was done a couple of months ago by the Brits in 'stan. Good show though!! :)

Bob C

GreenKnight121
5th Jul 2007, 04:32
"Same thing was done a couple of months ago by the Brits in 'stan."

And by US Army chaps with an AH-1G in a place called Vietnam.

StbdD
5th Jul 2007, 15:41
USMC. Dec 1969. Vietnam.

http://www.popasmoke.com/story14.html

Dave Cummings was a mate that got it done. BZ

AHQHI656SQN
7th Jul 2007, 19:35
I'm delighted that the crew of the Kiowa were recovered in a timely fashion. Very well done to the crew of the 64.:D

Mother Rucker produces some fine men and women.:ok:

Jeep
7th Jul 2007, 19:55
You better write that book soon, what more free advertising do you need than this story?

Jeep

texdcd
7th Jul 2007, 21:55
Jag Plt,

The fact that you actually retained information from staff college then qouted it in this thread...that makes you a chisler (see other threads)!

Tex

West Coast
8th Jul 2007, 03:29
Lots of bad guys in the area according to reports. Perhaps it took two to take them all out.

Wizzard
8th Jul 2007, 09:55
Well done all!:D

I suppose the main difference between the two Apache event is that the pilots were being lifted out of the sh1t but the Brits were being lifted into it!

WolvoWill
8th Jul 2007, 14:40
Anyone else notice the modified (upturned) engine exhausts on the Apache shown in the TADS video footage? Presumably a mod to reduce further the IR signature from the rear.

forget
8th Jul 2007, 15:34
Early Hueys were fitted with a Passive Anti IR on the exhaust. Pretty effective I'd have thought.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/1214229.jpg

Wiley
8th Jul 2007, 15:52
Early Hueys were fitted with the upturned exhaust? Now I feel really old. 'Early' Hueys had the straight exhaust and the tail rotor on the other side.

And in really early Hueys, the Bravo and Charlie, you hung in your straps in the cruise because Mr Bell built 'em to sit flat on the ground, which resulted in a nose down attitude in the cruise. Then came the Delta model. Looxury.