PDA

View Full Version : Astigmatism

gareth__jones
3rd Jul 2007, 22:03
I am about to take my class 1 JAA medical as I have just got through the CTC wings application process. Unfortunately, it appears that I may fail on my vision due to an astigmatism in my left eye. From what I can tell the limit is 2.00 dioptres and mine is 2.25. What I am unclear about is whether the limit is with or without correction as when wearing glasses my vision is perfect in that eye and in fact I have near perfect vision without glasses when using both eyes. I'd hate to fail now having got through selection.

Also, is there an appeal system as the renewal limit is for 3.00 dioptres. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am having a new eye test done on Thursday before I am allowed to book a medical at all.

Gareth

hollywood285
3rd Jul 2007, 23:25
Seems to be 1 thing there very strict on, as I failed mine on eyesight, you might get away with .25 but dont bet your life on it, go down and do it and see what happens, make sure you have a good nights sleep, and DONT drive x amount of miles then go and do the medical, with you being boarder line you might just blag it, but if you have been on the road for 4 hours your just asking for trouble.

Good Luck.:ok:

Sagey
4th Jul 2007, 05:48
I believe that the limit on astigmatism was removed for renewals, it is just the 2.00 at the initial. Under the new document issued in December 2006, eyes need to have a comprehensive testing every 5 years.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=534

There is one exception, The document clearly states that if you have astigmatism of 3 or more then you need to be tested every 2 years.

Sagey