PDA

View Full Version : Type rating

airbus,boy
3rd Jul 2007, 09:05
When you have finished traning and have your frozen atpl, what then.Do you go and pay for a type rating or does the airline pay it for you?.

I have been wondering,what does a type rating actually do, does it just tell you what would be the best aircraft for you to fly.

If you did have to pay for one yourself how much would it cost and would you only have to pay for one yourself when you have landed a job.

bobster1
3rd Jul 2007, 09:30
:rolleyes:Mate dont even start worrying about this sort of stuff yet!
Judging by your other posts, I think you need to find your nearest flying school, and sit and talk through the begining stages first..
Have a trial lesson, around £100, you might hate flying after that, chances are the instructor who takes you up is fully qualified..fATPL.. he/she will be able to answer all your questions..

Some airlines you pay for a type rating.
others will bond you, leave in a set time period and you will pay a % of cost.

airbus,boy
3rd Jul 2007, 09:33
Ok thanks, i might do a trial flight.I have been on loads of airliners.

captain_rossco
3rd Jul 2007, 09:46
Schoolbus, boy,

Mate, most of the questions you have asked in the last 48 hours are answered at length somewhere on th forum.

Regards

CR

PS. A Type Rating is just that, a little bit of writing on your license that suggests you are allowed to fly a certain aircraft, not that you are probably of a good enough standard to maybe fly something that looks a bit like a particular aircraft that you can just about fly. It is a TYPE SPECIFIC course.

maxdrypower
3rd Jul 2007, 09:55
This is making these horrendous rainy days more bearable :}

deltabravo
3rd Jul 2007, 09:57
Your frozen ATPL allows you to sit in the right hand seat of any multi crew aircraft, as long as you hold a current type rating for that aircraft.
The type rating therefore is to teach you everything you need to know to operate that specific aircraft, in a commercial, multi-crew environment. Once you get to the stage in your career where you change fleets, you will have to complete another type rating, or at a minimum, a conversion course for the new aircraft.

While some airlines will pay for your initial type rating, many will either expect you to pay for it yourself, or will pay for it themselves, but 'bond' you to the airline for about 5 or so years. This means that if you leave the airline during this time, you will be liable for the remaining cost of the type rating.

Most people wait until they have their job before doing a type rating, however some people will pay to do a type rating before getting a job, as they are trying to make themselves a better prospects for the airlines. The downside of this is that they have essentially limited themselves to a single aircraft and therefore a smaller number of jobs.

The cost of Type ratings can vary quite a bit depending on the aircraft and, as with everything when it comes to aviation training, there is an expensive way and a cheaper way of doing things, but at the top end of the scale, you could be expecting (or expected by the airline) to pay up to another £20,000 for your first Type rating.

BelArgUSA
3rd Jul 2007, 10:04
Hello Airbus Boy -
xxx
A type rating can be as inexpensive as US$ 6,000 or go as high as US$ 20,000 in the USA, depending on type aircraft and requirements - In Europe, prices are substantially higher - as I see you are from UK. The less expensive ratings quoted at US$ 6,000 are for B-737 and DC-9. Takes 3 to 6 weeks.
xxx
Pilots who "buy theirselves" a type rating are doing it to be more qualified and in hope to be selected for hire by an air carrier. It also happens that a potential airline employer will specifically require a certain type rating from applicants to be considered for hire.
xxx
I have heard some companies telling applicants to get qualified with a type rating, and would be reimbursed, but honest, it is extremely rare. My airline requires a B-737 or MD-80 type rating to be considered for hire, this to select pilots who have showed their ability to succesfully complete training in a given type of aircraft.
xxx
Do not believe that airlines do this, to get "trained pilots" and save on trainng costs. Even though we require, say, a B-737 type rating, you still have to complete our complete specific airline training as if you never were trained in that aircraft. In the past, there were too many trainees who failed in training. Nowadays, with the type rating required, almost every new hires complete our training succesfully.
xxx
As to getting reimbursed by the airline for your type rating, may I smile and say, we do not do that... Or should we also reimburse your training costs for PPL, CPL/IR and ME...
If you do a type rating, I would suggest either the A-320 or the B-737.
I wish you good luck and all the best.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

Deano777
3rd Jul 2007, 13:59
This guy is an obvious troll, don't give him the attention he craves

TheFlyingDJ
3rd Jul 2007, 14:07
The downside of this is that they have essentially limited themselves to a single aircraft and therefore a smaller number of jobs.

Ok this is not entirely true.
You do not limit yourself but you do qualify yourself on the particuliar type.
Offcourse you are feel to go there where you can be hired to fly a different type.

Cost is the issue.
If you can afford to self sponsor a rating and you have no problem with that, then why not do it?
You can always continue to apply for other jobs, only thing is to bear in mind that you might have to pay upfront a second rating, but this one gets you the first job.

Lufthansa Cityline is a great chance, once hired there, you are entitled to a sum of cash to compensate you for your own funded training.
Don't know if there are other companies who do that too.

If you did have to pay for one yourself how much would it cost and would you only have to pay for one yourself when you have landed a job.

Cost is different. Lots of places to start training. Check out the adverts here around the forum pages.

airbus,boy
3rd Jul 2007, 14:11
THANKS for your input, i just dont know if to do modular or intergrated.

TheFlyingDJ
3rd Jul 2007, 14:16
This is sincerely up to you.
If you want to get your frozen atpl asap, then go integrated.
If you want to have you own schedule, do it modular.
There are lots of trainee programs where you do your initial flight training and then go on to turboprops or even jets.
Netjets (not sure if it's still open) and Gapan (now closed I believe) has recently launched such a scheme.
Maybe it's something for you too and you need not worry about this type rating business.

Have you looked at CTC and FlyBe?

airbus,boy
3rd Jul 2007, 14:35
I have but they seem so hard to get selected for, i will probally have to save my money then do intergrated.

neilia
3rd Jul 2007, 14:39
THANKS for your input, i just dont know if to do modular or intergrated.

Many people find their financial situation helps them answer this question. Do you have £80,000 to spend?

airbus,boy
3rd Jul 2007, 14:53
No not now,but if i worked and had a small loand i would have.

n

Antonio Montana
3rd Jul 2007, 14:55
A Small loan!!!!!!
I sold my house moved into a smaller one and remortgaged, now thats a small loan.....

captain_rossco
3rd Jul 2007, 15:27
schoolbus, boy,

are you really in your late teens?

Regards

CR

TheFlyingDJ
3rd Jul 2007, 16:04
Ok then:

17 year young schoolboy, it seems that you have not gained enough information about becoming a pilot.
No worries, since you are in the wannabees forum so you questions are fair enough to me.

Working and getting a loan is not as easy as you put it.
I suggest you talk to your folks about that part.

Then, the pilot programmes. If you allready think that it is hard to get selected, you might want to disregard all the things about becoming an airline pilot.
It does not end after an integrated or modular course.

So I suggest you plow through the forums some more about all this.

airbus,boy
3rd Jul 2007, 16:32
Is it worth applying for Airline schemes then.I would not have A level in math or physics,so would I still be elidgble to apply if I had both these subjects at GCSE?.

captain_rossco
3rd Jul 2007, 16:56
Not with that syntax.

schoolbus, boy, you, as you reply to this are already ON THE INTERNET, everything you need to know, absoultely EVERYTHING is there for you. Surely you can look at CTC's website or Ryanairs, or Easyjets or any other flaming airline and see what their expectations are.
Can you not see that even though although this forum is there to help people along, you are making yourself look, well, not short of retarded with this barage of completely unstructured questions.
You must have started 5 threads about subjects already covered at length within The Prune.
Understand, I'm not one to be a git, but as you've already found out no doubt, people ask each other questions AFTER having exhausted their search possibilities within the forum.
If you think people are being a little tough on you, shoot over to OBA and have a chat with Adrian Thompson, he'll put you straight in softly softly kind of way! Give him a call, I dare you.!:ok:

Kind Regards

CR

airbus,boy
3rd Jul 2007, 17:01
I dont een know who he is, im not sad like you.

captain_rossco
3rd Jul 2007, 17:07
That's the attitude lad, you just crack on as is, I'm sure you'll be juuuuuuust fine.

Kidn Regards
CR

PS. 'een' ?????

airbus,boy
3rd Jul 2007, 17:14
Yeah yeah, boring boring boring.How sad are you.Please stop bieng a idiot as its becoming very fustrating.I have about just as much right as you to be on this forum so please stop being such idiot, becuse quite frankly you are becoming very fustrating.

Ps
een, I meant to spell even,its called fast typing.Try using your stupid Brain.

lovethefreight
3rd Jul 2007, 17:43
Is this kid simple or what???:D

early_bird
3rd Jul 2007, 18:02
....or what???? :O:}:D

SinBin
3rd Jul 2007, 18:34
Airbus boy, from an Airbus man, give up now! Especially with the attitude! If you can't research on simple things like this for yourself you will never get very far as a pilot, where being resourceful is part of the job!

Getting arsy will do you no favours and just shows your immaturity. There is a huge thing called the Internet. Also you are best getting a copy of Pilot magazine and reading through the back pages and then pick up the phone.

You need to grow up and find things out for youself i think, you are a LONG way off even contemplating a type rating!

Flaperon75
3rd Jul 2007, 18:42
my opinion is that Airbus Boy is actually a very senior, very intelligent BA Captain with too much time on his hands having a "bit of a larf"!

bobster1
3rd Jul 2007, 20:53
or a bored ATC trying to make us all bite maybe?
or a village idiot has stumbled into the local internet cafe!!
Keep em coming, its making me laugh..:E

bjkeates
3rd Jul 2007, 21:51
Deano777 was right on the previous page - don't feed the trolls!

SinBin
3rd Jul 2007, 22:02
Not content with hurling abuse at people on the open forum, this fella is also hurling abuse on PMs too. Clearly a knob jockey whoever he is!!

Rubes
3rd Jul 2007, 22:46
I never post on pprune, but this sounds like a mystery for scooby and the gang!?:suspect:

Whirlygig
4th Jul 2007, 06:17
Anyone who has even heard of a type rating as a concept in order to ask the question will have more knowledge of flying than airbus boy is demonstrating.

Therefore, somebody's having a wind up and must be very bored.

Cheers

Whirls

captain_rossco
4th Jul 2007, 08:53
Schoolbus,boy,

A Type Rating is a 'mark out of 10 score', that indicates a prospective pilot's Words Per Minute speed when entering data into a computer.

One is not required to have 'secreterial' key stroke times, but will have to demonstrate an abilty to enter long and complicated southern hemisphere airport names without error.

Type ratings are available through various organisations and are usually very expensive due to the expensive computing equipment and the amount of typewriter ink used.

Following the initial course you will be required to partake in line training, this demonstrates your ability to implement the above skills along with, now, trying to fit as many typed words as you can onto one line.

I hope this helps.

Regards

CR

:{

bobster1
4th Jul 2007, 08:59
captain rossco just spat me corn flakes across the kitchen....brilliant..:D

speedrestriction
4th Jul 2007, 11:02
Prime JB contender.

early_bird
4th Jul 2007, 16:23
:D Good one!

maxdrypower
4th Jul 2007, 17:08
Flyer guy , Utter class .

revilo_rehsif
4th Jul 2007, 17:25
Come on its quite clearly someone having a laugh.

In one of his threads he says that he is 17 and has just finished his A levels. In order to do this, he would have to of been exceptionally young for his year. Fair enough, so why does his profile say he is 18?