PDA

View Full Version : Minor Unit Basing Study results?

AonP
3rd Jul 2007, 08:44
Has anyone heard anything about the results of the Minor Unit Basing Study, especially regarding the Scampton/Kirton/Boulmer decision? I thought we were supposed to hear on 1 Jul?

I bet its ben delayed again - all everyone wants is a decision that wont change to allow some stability - not a repeat of the Buchan/Neatishead fiasco!

Impiger
3rd Jul 2007, 17:23
AonP

Not due to reach the top of the shop until 31 July then there'll be some (short) pause for thought before further publication. Wait out:ok:

AonP
23rd Oct 2007, 12:05
From Hansard:

"Mr. Beith: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will make a statement on the future of RAF Boulmer.

Mr. Bob Ainsworth: At RAF Boulmer there are Air Surveillance and Control Systems units and a Search and Rescue Flight. Work is ongoing into the future location of AS AC units, including those at RAF Boulmer. I will announce the outcome of this work in due course.

The Private Finance Initiative competition for future UK Search and Rescue Helicopter capability is ongoing and a decision on future Search and Rescue basing has yet to be made."

How much longer before people can start planning their lives?!

skippedonce
23rd Oct 2007, 13:06
AonP

Last heard was 'expected some time in October' however, no year was stated.

harrogate
23rd Oct 2007, 13:11
There was a statement recently saying the basing 'masterplan' would be unveiled in November. This year.

They've even been doing some re-thinking regarding major bases, in light of the Saudi deal and the effects on ths F3 extension programme.

Biggus
23rd Oct 2007, 17:57
Is there any particular reason to believe this latest statement (ref November announcement) any more than the ones that have preceeded it?

I don't know why MOD (or politicians in general maybe) give forecasts of annoucement/decision dates - they are wrong far more often than they are right!

Wrathmonk
23rd Oct 2007, 20:17
Suspect a lot of the random dates were generated when they (the politicians) thought there might be an election in November. Not good for the marginals if you announce huge job losses just before the vote. But then the Bottle bottled it!

Of course it could also be that the study has not come up with the answer that Swiss Des wanted ....

harrogate
23rd Oct 2007, 23:18
The dates have shifted in this case because of the fluidity and uncertainty of the Saudi deal. The cessation of the investigation into the 'wonky' Saudi deal also played it's part, because it ensured the new Sauid deal would go through.

The date-makers in Whitehall couldn't really be sure if and when that investigation would be pulled, so dates for conclusions into UK base re-structuring (which are greatly affected as a result of the Saudi deal, because it alters the RAF figures, probably permanently... as those tranche 3 RAF Typhoons ain't ever gonna arrive) meant nothing until that sorry affair was brushed under the carpet.

Yet still they set those dates.

Carrot. Dangle.

Pontius Navigator
24th Oct 2007, 07:31
The Private Finance Initiative competition for future UK Search and Rescue Helicopter capability is ongoing and a decision on future Search and Rescue basing has yet to be made.

And if it is anything like our last contract, the figures the contractors had in mind bore no resemblance to the planned budget for the following year.

For a new contract, where the PFI does not show clear savings - 20%? - the military solution will continue. As this is not part of the political game plan the figures might be massaged a bit. "If we reduce the requirement to 0900-2300 except at one base, how much can you reduce your bid by?"

The gotcha occurs in round 2 when there is no fall-back military solution.

AonP
10th Jan 2008, 15:26
More years of Bunker dwelling then - the review says no change:

http://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/RAF-Boulmer-saved.3659467.jp

AonP
11th Jan 2008, 07:05
Air Surveillance and Control System Basing Study

The Minister for the Armed Forces (Mr. Bob Ainsworth): I am taking this opportunity to provide the House with interim details of the Air Surveillance and Control System (ASACS) Basing Study that commenced in September 2006.

As a result of the Air Combat Service Support Units (ACSSU) and Minor Unit Basing Study, the decision was made to draw down RAF Boulmer by 2012 and relocate some of the ASACS units to RAF Scampton. Following the Communication Hub relocation in 2006 to RAF Leeming instead of RAF Scampton the decision regarding the future basing of ASACS units needed to be reconsidered. This included the proposed future location of all ASACS elements currently based at RAF Boulmer, RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey and RAF Scampton.

During the course of the ASACS Basing Study it became clear that the retention of RAF Boulmer as a core site for the ASACS Hub was the best option in financial and operational terms. Therefore, I have decided that, subject to TU consultation, RAF Boulmer should not draw down in 2012 and should instead remain the ASACS Hub. Service and civilian personnel at RAF Boulmer will be briefed on the progress of the study.

This decision only refers to RAF Boulmer’s future within the ASACS Basing Study. The final outcome of the study, which will include the basing of the remaining ASACS satellite units at RAF Scampton and RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey, is expected shortly.

AdanaKebab
11th Jan 2008, 07:26
Boulmer stays put ...surprise surprise! ....What a waste of everyone's time:ugh:!

The Helpful Stacker
11th Jan 2008, 09:59
Isn't the usual RAF standard indicator of an imminent base closure the construction of lots of new buildings/facilities on said base?

AdanaKebab
11th Jan 2008, 12:32
In the last few years, Boulmer had a sizeable extension built onto the School of Fighter Control, a New All Ranks Facility extension and the bunker was refurbed, refitted and reopened not to mention double glazing, new decor and new carpets in the Officers' Mess! Does that count!

SirToppamHat
11th Jan 2008, 14:14
AdanaKebab

You know very well that it would also need it's runway re-surfacing to qualify - I don't think having the OM's Unit OCs' parking spaces re-painted (again) counts!

STH

AonP
28th Oct 2008, 17:44
The Minister for the Armed Forces (Mr. Bob Ainsworth): I am able to inform the House today of the outcome of the Royal Air Force study that has been undertaken to consider the future basing requirements of the Air Surveillance and Control System—ASACS—units.

On 10 January 2008, I announced that RAF Boulmer would be retained as the core site for the ASACS Hub but that we needed to do more analysis to determine the optimum basing solution for the remaining ASACS satellite units.

This work has now concluded, and has confirmed that the relocation of the ASACS satellite units to RAF Coningsby is the best option in operational and financial terms. Therefore, I have decided that, subject to TU consultation, the control and reporting centre—CRC—at RAF Scampton and No.1 air control centre—No.1 ACC—at RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey will collocate at RAF Coningsby. The relocation is due to complete by the end of 2014.

Following the relocation, it is our intention to draw down RAF Scampton to only those facilities deemed necessary to support the RAF Aerobatic Team’s activities within the reserved airspace above the airfield. RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey will be closed once the No.1 ACC has relocated to RAF Coningsby. Service and civilian personnel at RAF Scampton and Kirton-in-Lindsey will be briefed on the progress of the study.