PDA

View Full Version : Video: Short documentary on flying

VH-MVL
3rd Jul 2007, 08:40
Hi all

A while ago, I posted some queries as to how I'd go about producing a short documentary on learning how to fly. Being an outsider to it all and very curious on getting back into aviation more as a hobby, I thought it'd be of great benefit to record the day where I take it up again and hopefully use it with fourthcoming Uni work (As I'm majoring in Media at Uni).

Finally, after three months, I've got it all edited and finished for submission, and have uploaded it online to YouTube for all to view. Feel free to comment (kindly!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzIzXf2m3gc

Now, alot of editing was used to give different 'impressions' of scenes for viewers, and since most of you could probably pick up on these, I'll state the following about it:

*The overall objective of the video, was to give an insight into the process of obtaining a pilot's license (Through the interview), and showcase a newbie (Myself) with little experience, how easy and fun it was to go flying.
*Video took two weeks of planning to organise, including selecting a good flying school and instructor
*Was shot over two days, one of the days for the actual lesson itself, and another for all the 'stock' footage.
*Comset conversation was all recorded on the ground while in the holding(?) bay before take-off. The recorder then malfunctioned afterwards. SO, wherever used in the video, ISN'T consistent with the footage
*I didn't land the plane! My instructor did so, but I had my hands on the controls very much to 'feel' what he was doing.

Any other thing featured which you need to question, please feel free to do so. I must thank the people at Whitworth Aviation for helping me out with this!

Apart from that, I had an absolutely wonderful time doing this, and look forward to future lessons to get a Private License when the time and funds come.

Enjoy!

richie-rich
3rd Jul 2007, 08:55
excellent video! enjoyed it thoroughly.
richie

tail wheel
3rd Jul 2007, 09:18
Excellent video young lad! :ok:

What was that last aircraft? Cowls and intake almost looked "turbine"?

BrazDriver
3rd Jul 2007, 09:32
Good Vid, get your mate to do one of your 1st solo. Just don't do what a fellow solo bankstown student did and try landing solo without hands while holding the camera!

MCKES
3rd Jul 2007, 10:16
Excellent video well done!!!:)

Ultralights
3rd Jul 2007, 10:30
Nice.... so how do LMY and IMX handle after all these years? flew them both way back in 99!

Di_Vosh
3rd Jul 2007, 23:08
Well done: A great film. Liked the choice of music

DIVOSH! :ok:

Got the horn
4th Jul 2007, 00:37
Keep'em coming, well produced. High five. Nnnarce!

dude65
4th Jul 2007, 01:20
Good job. You could have yourself a good little earner on your hands.

I bet there's plenty of people who would love to have a professionally made vid of their flying exploits. I'd get you to do one for me except I live in QLD.

VH-MVL
4th Jul 2007, 07:57
Hi all

Firstly, thank you all for the feedback! Makes my day that many other people have enjoyed watching the video, and also for leaving feedback on it. I'm showing it to other non-aviation folk also, hopefully trying to entice them into flying :ok:

tailwheel - Sorry, not too conversant on aircraft types (Having only just got back into flying), so I'll leave that to the more informed
BrazDriver - Thanks! Although it astounds me someone would dare film while flying, as you wouldn't do that on the road!
Ultralights - LMY was my aircraft, and although I'm not overly experienced on handling planes, LMY was quite a delight to fly around, even with the winds we had that day.
Di_Vosh - Thanks! The original soundtrack used was Lenny Kravitz "Fly Away", however, I personally thought it was abit heavy and cliched, and my 'target audience' for it was based on a Kids show, like Totally Wild.
dude65 - By all means if I'm in QLD and have the equipment, I'm sure something can be worked out!

As said, I'm majoring in Media, but Flying is one of those facinations I do have, which I want to learn more about. I would most certainly like to do future productions on light-hearted General Aviation topics, and am open to many ideas. If you guys have any suggestions on topics and stuff, please do let me know here, or offline :)

Oh and before I go, I've had a few questions about the song featured, it's Stephanie Macintosh - "Do I Say Sorry First?".

Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

Capt Basil Brush
5th Jul 2007, 05:21
Well done, good video.

What sort of video camera was used, and what software for the editing etc?

Thanks.

BB