PDA

View Full Version : Flying for Qatar

IR-Pirate
2nd Jul 2007, 13:31
Who would you fly A320's for:

Qatar Airways or South African Airways?

Alternative
2nd Jul 2007, 14:43
SAA dont fly 320's....Probably not recruiting at moment anyway!!!

radioexcel
2nd Jul 2007, 16:58
:confused:A very very good friend of mine decided his faith is with Qatar Airways. He is starting with you guys within the next few days.....:confused: I know him for more than 30 years and supported him all the way during his carreer. Still remember all the incidents and accidents..ooops the motorbike accident at school..) Please support the guys joining Qatar Airways...We do believe GOD is watching over you:ok: Regards

RE

IR-Pirate
2nd Jul 2007, 17:48
The reason I ask, is because I've been offered a job with both outfits. Its difficult to decide.

What would you do , and why.

BlueSkye
2nd Jul 2007, 19:29
SAA operates A319s. Your salary will be taxed (40% or so) but your accomodation will make Doha look like a slum. At half the price. Beer is evil cheap. The climate is rather agreeable, the woman is :ok: and you can look/stare/drool at them. After hours entertainment is second to none, consumption of alcohol is encouraged and the longest flight is probably to FIMP and back.

On the other hand, you might not make it out alive.:{

SpootNICK
3rd Jul 2007, 15:45
Its all a matter of perspective: IN SAA

You shoot an approach into JNB in your A319,

You head down to the pub and get served shots of 'Witblitz',

Then you head make your way to your car and get shot at by some ****** who wants your nice new Merc.

I dunno, it sounds like fun.

SN

IR-Pirate
3rd Jul 2007, 17:07
So its a war zone then. But surely not as bad as the war zone in the middle east??

ironbutt57
3rd Jul 2007, 17:10
Didnt know Detroit was in SA:}

IR-Pirate
3rd Jul 2007, 17:11
Spootnick,

Are you flying for Emirates now or Qatar?

Aussie
3rd Jul 2007, 21:33
I think youll find Doha Qatar is far from a war zone. REasonably safe actually.

Aussie

BlueSkye
4th Jul 2007, 06:26
Qatar is safe as houses. It's Johannesburg that can be a war zone. Not on the Beirut/Baghdad scale, but still. They frisk you for guns at the nightclubs and when you're clean, they give you one.:E

Latest crime (reported) statistics for SA announced yesterday. Search the SA press for details. I'm not trying to put you off or scare the living daylights outta ya, but a greedy landlord and a greedy armed robber are two different kettles of fish.

loc22550
4th Jul 2007, 10:11
If you want to come into the gulf, you should try Emirates, or Etihad, or Air Arabia,(all of them are recruiting pilots with320 rating),.. definitely a better place to stay,expecially for your family!(think about this important factor as well before joining Q.A...).I known some guys they are leaving simply because their family canīt tolerate anymore this place (Doha).
cheers.

IR-Pirate
4th Jul 2007, 11:48
Thanks Loc...:ok:

Alternative
4th Jul 2007, 14:37
Hi Ir,

I find it quite strange that you claim that you have been offered a position SAA....even more strange that it is on an aircraft that they do not fly!!!

And im sure even you know that any new hire at SAA, irrespective of his experience levels will jon as P3 on A340 fleet for minimum of 2 years....

Anyway, as posted earlier, SAA are NOT hiring at the moment.

IR-Pirate
4th Jul 2007, 15:20
Hi Alternative,

Yes I do know that a new-hire will spend 2 years as a P3, but eventually fly A319/320. As opposed to direct entry on 320's with Qatar. just wanted some advice on what the better route to becoming a captain on a jet will be?

FlyingCroc
4th Jul 2007, 16:17
Not even started to fly and allready a wannabe jet captain. Get the experience first. I think SAA is the better company, more professional, South Africa a beautiful country, do not know about the safety. Take care.
QR is just another airline in the sandpit, it will not be easy living for sure.