PDA

View Full Version : Continental Lycomming Factory Engines - New

nomorecatering
2nd Jul 2007, 12:56
Just looking at some of the websites for overhauling engines, such as Performance Built Engines, Victor Aviation, RAM, Ultimate Engines and a few others. Most of these places claim that the engines as shipped from Continental and Lycomming are quite roughly put together, crankshafts out of allignment to the case , poorly balanced, quality control is rather sloppy according to the overhaulers and so on and so on.

So whats been the impression from people in the field. Are these claims true. Seems that Continental have also jumped on the bandwagon by offering the Platinum series. Are these any better than the standard product.

Superior Air Parts tout their Milenium cylinders, the aviation writers say they do flow better that factory cylinders, but several engineers I have spoken to said the factory cylinders are actualy better than the mileniums.

Thoughts anyone?

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Jul 2007, 13:25
I'll lay money the Chimbu Chuckler will have some words of wisdom on this!

Dr:cool:

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Jul 2007, 16:22
Nope I don't have an opinion..all I will say is my engine, at the end of it's first life, was overhaulled, with new Millenium cylinders and Gamijectors, by Col Pay's boys at Scone...and 5 years on I have no complaints.

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Jul 2007, 16:33
I don't know...sorry.

I think...but am not sure...that Col sold off the engine shop and it is/was operating as a seperate (but perhaps related) company not long after/about the same time as my engine was done.

bushy
3rd Jul 2007, 01:02
If you buy enough advertising it appears that the writers will give your product favourable treatment.
I remember when the australian aviation magazines carried about fifty advertidements for flying training in each issue, and there were thousands of unemployed CPL's. Not one of them described the true situation, or carried an advertisement for a pilot's job.

Desert Duck
3rd Jul 2007, 04:41
May I suggest that you do a lot of research.
There are, (or at least were) some very meticulous engine overhaul shops out there that do not charge the earth.

Some of the expensive and well known engine overhaul shops generally cause trouble. One I am aware of after 50 hours has just had six new cylinders refitted.

It is possible to have a piston engine without oil leaks.

PA39
3rd Jul 2007, 05:21
You can have factory new, factory remanufactured, factory overhauled or field overhauled. Factory new and reman come with zero timed log books factory or field o/h do not. Factory reman or o/h must naturally be done at the Lycoming etc factories. FWIW there were only 2 shops who i would let go anywhere near my donks for overhaul 1. Roger Verney (Scone Aircraft Maintenance) and 2. BAE at Archerfield. OHC cylinders are false economy and i recommend Factory new cylinders being fitted. Check the AD's on ECI, Millenium etc cylinders. They're having problems with cracking etc. Check the WRITTEN warranties thoroughly, and confirm what is going to be replaced or bought back to OHC. Personally I like to have my engines worked on in leu of exchange. I hope this helps.

I am not sure if Roger is still working, he may have come to his senses and finally retired, like i did.

Chimbu chuckles
3rd Jul 2007, 05:25
Roger Verney did my engine at Scone Aircraft Maintenance....like I said, very happy with the results.

Did Col Pay own it at one stage and sell it off...or am I remembering it wrong?

PA39
3rd Jul 2007, 05:34
I can't ever remember Col owning it........although maybe he did silently. Gee it is such a while ago now. Roger does?/did great engines, all going to, and beyond TBO.....providing they had the right jockey on the rudder pedals of course.

kingtoad
4th Jul 2007, 06:34
I'll second the vote of confidence in BAE at Archerfield. The Paynter family have been doing donks for yonks - and thats pretty much all they do, they even got out of props. They've looked after me very well & I've never heard a bad word about them.

No - I'm no relation or association - just a satisfied customer!

Also I agree with PA39 comments on cylinders. I'm seeing alot of cracked ECI ones atm. Go the factory new ones for sure.

And Gami's too if applicable!