PDA

View Full Version : "Tricking" eye exam?

Dink87522
1st Jul 2007, 23:21
http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2614899.ece

Would it be possible using the above corrective lense (before the examination obviously) to "trick" an optometrist into thinking your vision was better than it actually was?

Hookerbot 5000
4th Jul 2007, 07:54
You can't trick them, they are trained professionals! I wouldn't even try..

:p

Creep Feed Grinder
4th Jul 2007, 08:30
Deceitfulness and aviation – not a good combination !

Sagey
4th Jul 2007, 13:58
I would imagine that this isn't approved by the CAA to correct eyesight. If it was I wouldn't necessarily see it as trickery or cheating (as long as you informed the CAA you used it) as you are correcting deficiencies in eyesight. I would imagine that you would still have to fly with a spare pair of spectacles and have it stated on your license that you needed to do so.

I am not sure I would use it though, I would be petrified of long term effects it has on your eyes.

S

Blinkz
4th Jul 2007, 14:29
the fact that the vision slowly returns to its original value makes me think that it will be unlikely to get CAA approval. You never know though!

SpaceNeedle
4th Jul 2007, 21:38
Hi all,

You"ll be cheating yourself! Would you go flying at night after " correcting " your eyesight not knowing when your vision will go blurry again? I think not! Remember your prescription glasses, should you need them, will not be correct now as your eyes transition from good to poor vision.

Raj Merlion
4th Jul 2007, 22:06
SpaceNeedle,

You're damn right. Your prescription glasses will not be very useful until you return to your original myopic condition unless you have a really "progressive" progressive lenses!:rolleyes:

SpaceNeedle
7th Jul 2007, 09:59
On top of that there is possible risks...google ortho-keratology for more info. I asked a family friend who is an opthalmologist and she confirmed that there were possible risk of dry corneas and oxygen difficiency, forgot the exact term used.

waveydavey
18th Jul 2007, 22:38
Needing to wear spectacles does not necessarily preclude you from passing a class 1 or 2. If your vision was so bad you needed to consider deceiving the CAA then I doubt these lenses would help enough!

There is however one thing I would consider before trying to 'bluff' your way through a medical - you may manage to obtain the certificate by failing to disclose a condition or using these lenses prior to an examination, however if at a later date you are involved in even a relatively minor incident the CAA may examine your medical records including your opticians records.

Then you may find yourself in hot water with the CAA, and the boys in blue due to falling fowl of the Fraud Act 2006.

I would be honest with them, you may be pleasantly suprised how much they will try to help.