PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

Guptar
1st Jul 2007, 13:04
Having found Google Earth recently, I;ve taken to using it for a general area famil when planning an un familiar route or destination. Quite useful for having a sticky beak around a particular area etc. The ability to fly at route geforehand and using the slant view is a treat for knowing what to look for.

Have found there are still large areas of Oz and the rest of the world that are not photographed at hgh resolution. Is google earth regularly updating pics and covering more of the world at high res?

Aussie
1st Jul 2007, 13:24
Not sure how often they update it, but theres a house that was built a yr ago next door to us in aus, and its still not showing on google earth, so at least not been updated for a yr!!!

kingtoad
4th Jul 2007, 07:29
Bit of thread drift - but you can see a 737 just airborne off Rwy 33 at Rockhampton and US navy submarine in dry dock in the "Big Navy" Harbour on the western side of Guam. Also alot of interesting hardware parked at Anderson Airforce base on the North Eastern end of Guam. If you want to get really excited you could try counting the number of airfields on Guam.

OZZI_PPL
4th Jul 2007, 08:00
http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/06/aeronautical_in.html

Try this if you like using Google Earth for flying uses. Just stumbled upon it myself. Doesnt look 100% accurate but pretty cool.

Capt Hollywood
4th Jul 2007, 09:03
I use Google Earth a lot for flight planning. I often need to find places to land around cities and Google Earth shows me where potential helipads are (Parklands, school ovals etc). The lat long is accurate so I get the lat long off the screen and punch it into the gps, couldn't be more simple. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing when I get there!

It's also handy for measuring distances. I often fly interstate empty just to ferry people from functions back to their hotel, using Google Earth I can give them an estimate of the time it will take. The shortest flight back to a hotel I've done was 55 seconds and it was a 9hr ferry to get there!

CH :cool:

Runaway Gun
4th Jul 2007, 14:28
Who the hell paid for a 9hr helicopter flight, for one minutes worth of flying?

Capt Hollywood
5th Jul 2007, 06:12
The owner of the helicopter. :ok:

CH :cool:

Capt Basil Brush
5th Jul 2007, 12:17
Here is the 737 at RK.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/C152_87/GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

Peter Fanelli
5th Jul 2007, 12:52
It's not hard to kill a lot of time playing with Google Earth.

And who'd have thought they'd leave two planes on the ground when they closed Kai-Tak?