PDA

View Full Version : Tiger or Jetstar

The Puzzler
1st Jul 2007, 12:50
I am contemplating a move to Singapore, to either Tiger or Jetstar. I am a TRE on the A320. Can anyone give me a rundown on which airline is the best to work for? I have a family (3 kids), is the lifestyle and money ok? I'm aware of the lack of housing/schooling benefits but I was planning on buying a place to live rather than rent. Is this as straightforward as it seems, and have any other expats followed this route?

Many thanks :)

cougar77
1st Jul 2007, 13:32
From what i heard, both are equally alright.

There is no lack of housing whether you are buying or renting, it just cost quite a lot more than say 6 months ago.

You wont get any schooling benefits unless you are a citizen or PR but i guess it doesnt matter to you as you would probably send your kids to an international school, however take note:

Foreign schools bursting at the seams as more expats move in - Jul 1, 2007 (http://www.straitstimes.com/News/Story/STIStory_134705.html)
EXPATS are not only feeling the pinch from rising rents but they are finding it much harder to get their kids into foreign schools, which are chock-a-block with students. The booming economy is luring lots more foreigners here - the expat population grew from 798,000 to 875,500 last year - and has put severe pressure on international schools

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/common/c.gif
Rising number of expats lead to int'l school expansion - Jul 1, 2007 (http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_134610.html?vgnmr=1)
EXPATS are not only feeling the pinch from rising rents but they are finding it much harder to get their kids into foreign schools, which are 'bulging at the seams' with students. The booming economy is luring lots more foreigners here and has put severe pressure on international schools

The Puzzler
1st Jul 2007, 17:08
Puzzle me this....

Thanks for the info cougar, I appreciate it. :ok:

WiraMelayu
2nd Jul 2007, 09:43
Rents are rising again in this city state, and the international schools will cause you an arm and leg. Maybe stay across the border in Johor and commute to SIN may be a better option. Unfortunately crime rate due to illegal Indons is high albeit curtailed slightly due to the recent "surge" of police personnel in JB

Metro man
2nd Jul 2007, 10:50
Commuting from Johur is not really feasable as you will be flying 4-5 days a week with either company and the border is a nightmare at peak times. Fancy four hours commuting each work day ?

Best to find a cheaper place in Singapore, you will be further from the city center but with the excellent transport system getting around is easy.

cougar77
2nd Jul 2007, 13:54
puzzler,

dont even think of wm's suggestion.

You would be coming with wife and kids and they will definitely feel much more comfortable and safe in Spore. Its just not worth the inconvenience and savings.

good luck

The Puzzler
2nd Jul 2007, 15:07
Thanks for all the advice. One of the reasons I'm contemplating Singapore is to cut down on commuting time. Its a nightmare battling the motorways here between the different sim centres! :eek: :{ I've looked at various properties on the net although I'm not that familiar with Sing - is the east coast (districts 14-16) a nice part of town? Assuming that I'd be spending the better part of $11k/month on housing and schooling will I have enough left to live a reasonable lifestyle? And finally, are either of these operators actually looking for captains/trainers? :)

WiraMelayu
2nd Jul 2007, 20:47
Oops, forgot that you're not driving long haul. Commuting from JB daily from JB will really be a pain. Other options will be airlines in India , Air Asia or Vietnam as an A320 TRE is a prized commodity these days. Best of luck.

Dani
3rd Jul 2007, 02:22
The keyword here is "it depends"...
Schools are expensive, but if you want to send your kids to a normal English school in your neighborhood, that doesn't cost you a fortune. And school standards are high in public schools. Your children will mix with the locals and soon able to speak Mandarin and Malay.

Tiger: You fly more and you earn more. Expanding
Star: slightly better benefits
TRE: You most probably coulnd't start as instructor in the beginning.

Housing: If you stay away from center you can still afford it. It always depends what you want. Pasir Ris and Simei (close to Changi) have still new 4 bedrooms for under 3000$. Or 600 $ psf, if you want to buy. East Coast is very nice but too expensive now.

The Puzzler
3rd Jul 2007, 08:07
Thanks for the info Dani, great stuff! :D

speedsalive
5th Jul 2007, 07:53
can anyone proivde the contact number and person whome to contact for jobapplication maters?? at tiger airways?

cougar77
5th Jul 2007, 09:02
C'mon, just a few clicks of the mouse and presto:

http://www.tigerairways.com/about/careers.php#fcc299

speedsalive
6th Jul 2007, 17:11
i know that much... the thing is they never respod to the emails sent to the email add on ther website. (chek the other threads)

greybeard
7th Jul 2007, 01:13
Living in Singapore

I did 10 yrs 93-03 and am back again since Nov 06, the place is still the best in SE Asia, becoming very expensive AGAIN for housing and difficult for schooling for space and cost.

Semei and Pasir Ris are newer places than the east coast, but are not as well expat populated or generally orientated. you will be a minority and the lonely one will be the wife and kids as you will work most legal days and nights. It is also the furtherst you can get from the traditional expat schools with transport expence and TIME making the kids days enourmous. Locals are generally OK but very reserved initially, very differently culturally and work orientated, school orientated for the kids with little spare time as we westerners normally enjoy.

I have a 3 bed 2 bath unit 12th floor in an older condo, best facilities you could expect, pools, shop (good one), 2 restaurants/bars, bus to rail and shopping centre, room to move about and the east coast park is 2 min over or under the freeway from the airport which is a bus ride or 5 mins in a cab.

cost with cable, internet and power/water 2700-3000/month taken last year, now 3500+ for similar and going up. Cars are VERY expensive compared with other parts we have been but the bus/train/taxi system is very good and not too expensive.
Can't comment on the flying except you will be MAXED OUT all the time on dayly monthly yearly totals if my limited contact is accurate and he does CRM on spare days when he is out of hours as that duty doesn't "count".

I am 60+ so kids and schools are not my prob, but has been difficult for some in the past, better check that one with current people

PM if I can help

:ok:

The Puzzler
8th Jul 2007, 19:33
Thanks alot for your reply Greybeard, I really appreciate it. :) The information you guys have all supplied is just what I need to help me decide whether to apply for a position or not. And yet again it all comes down to the benefits (or lack thereof!) :sad: It is such a shame that these airlines are not prepared to contribute to housing/schooling costs. Being an expat is not the same as residing in your own country - the costs tend to be much greater and the building up of a nest egg in your home country still needs to be realised. Throwing away so much money on rent is a hard one to swallow (hence my thought to buy).

I've spent quite a bit if time in SE Asia before, and I tend to personally agree with you Greybeard - Singapore is the best place to be for me. However, I'm still not sure if I can afford it. :suspect: As for the shortage of schooling, that brings a whole new set of its own problems! :hmm: :ugh:

7Q Off
9th Jul 2007, 02:18
Do tiger or star hire DEC?

What about silk air? they are looking for DEC and FO for the A320 family.

I dont know if singapore air si looking for DEC, maby singapore cargo yes. I think this last 2 includes housing and education allowances in their package.