PDA

View Full Version : Trouble connecting laptop to WiFi network

ShyTorque
1st Jul 2007, 09:58
This is driving me mad!

I have a laptop (HP nx6325) supplied by my employer so I can access the met office and AIS websites whilst working "down route".

I have been totally unable (during 4 or 5 different visits) to conect to either of the two unsecured WiFi networks at one particular airport. I have permission to access the network system and others all around me get can connected immediately, but I can't. The laptop sees the network but a box appears stating "waiting for the network"; this always times out and disappears.

I have recently asked the network administrator if I need a password and he says not (didn't think so because I've never seen a box appear asking me for one).

I can connect immediately and automatically at other places, including home and at various hotels. I've tried "repair", re-booting and checked for any WiFi options to change - I can't find any. I suspect it is software or configuration related but I don't know enough about WiFi to work this out.

I'm stumped; any help would therefore be very gratefully received! :)

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Jul 2007, 10:13
Your employer's IT people should sort this out for you. They won't thank you for fiddling with things yourself! - even if you can, that is: they might have locked stuff down so you can't change it anyway.

End of the day, if they can't make it work, give it back, say it doesn't do what it was promised to do, and ask for one that will actually work.

ShyTorque
1st Jul 2007, 11:58
My employer's "IT people"? Wassat? (I think that's me, LOL :p ).

Not all of us work for large companies.....

Saab Dastard
1st Jul 2007, 19:58
ShyTorque,

I know exactlywhat you mean - I have to carry 2 wifi cards with me, because card 1 (Netgear) doesn't work on some wifi LANs and the D-Link card doesn't work on some others.

Fortunately I have not yet found a network that neither works on!

It is cold comfort, but I have definitely found that some cards just DO NOT work with some WAPs. And Lord knows I have tried!

If your wifi adapter is built-in, you can still try another in the cardbus slot.

SD

ShyTorque
1st Jul 2007, 20:49
Saab, thanks, much as I feared, then. :(

Any idea how I find out which "other card" to use?

(Meanwhile I'm still :) about the concept of the IT dept. fixing this for me ;) )

NeoDude
2nd Jul 2007, 04:08
Is it possible that your Lappy is setup with a set IP address? Perhaps setting it to receive an IP via DHCP would work.

oldbeefer
2nd Jul 2007, 09:37
Shyte - you could always try here http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showforum&forumid=18 I've had loads of good advice from the gurus.

ShyTorque
2nd Jul 2007, 21:27
Oldbeefer, thanks for that link. Nothing found there to help directly but I'll keep searching.

I have done some further research now, apparently HP laptops are by no means unknown to have this type of problem. I have now downloaded a new driver for the built in WiFi adapter; I'll see how it goes next time.

I am thinking of buying a WiFi router for my home PC so that I can use the laptop for the internet, via my own broadband connection. If I buy a complete package presumably the add-on card may also work on the elusive other networks. We'll see.

I can connect to hotel setups (and, it appears, elsewhere -one of my neighbours has an unsecured network!) so the on-board card does work to some extent, just not where I need it to most. :\

IO540
3rd Jul 2007, 05:54
Some reasons why a wifi network that is reported as "unsecured" might not connect:

1) The wifi access point operates a list of permitted MAC numbers. A MAC is a worldwide-unique number which every network adaptor has, and your laptop's wifi module will have one. You need to get your MAC number added to the whitelist. This is a rather crude security measure but it is popular because it has no impact on equipment compatibility.

2) No DHCP server available. Most access points have a DHCP server behind them somewhere, which will issue an IP to you. If this isn't the case, you will have to find out which IP (or IP range) your laptop needs to be configured to (under TCP/IP). This kind of measure is not unusual in serious corporate networks.

3) Has DHCP but the client limit has been exhausted. If you know you have a max of 3 laptops, you can set a DHCP server to issue say a max of 3 IPs. The 4th person isn't going to get connected. This is a crude security measure but is popular because again has no effect on compatibility.

4) Some weird incompatibility. Wifi has (and has had) plenty of those. Wait till you get onto Bluetooth ;)

5) In your case, it might appear that the access point in question is a public use one so should work but this may not be the case. Nowadays, the vast majority of networks one can pick up are not for public use.

There is just one way to get reliable connectivity: GRPS/3G. I use this 95% of the time, because most wifi network owners have wisened up to either leaching or the opportunity to make money. Most places I've been to I can't get a connection where I really need it. Do an Ebay search on Vodafone Mobile Connect.

ShyTorque
4th Jul 2007, 23:23
IO540,

Thanks for the info.

I do have permission to connect, I spoke to the network administrator. I can't connect no matter how many laptops are around (pilot's lounge) but annoyingly I often have someone alongside me try immediately after me and get connected straight away. :ugh:

I now understand that HP laptops might have one of those "weird incompatibilities!"

I will research further.

ZFT
5th Jul 2007, 07:09
Mrs ZFT had a similar issue although I’m sure unrelated to your problem recently following a UK visit. Turned out someone had installed some BT software to access a BT system. (Don’t even try to 2nd guess the reasons!!!) When trying to access any other WiFi it was looking for either a 6 digit or 13 digit WAP key irrespective of whether a secured or unsecured network.

No matter what I did I, removing all BT stuff etc, just couldn’t get it to connect to any other WiFi connection. Eventually bit the bullet and Format :C

DeepC
5th Jul 2007, 12:41
I run a NW8440 HP laptop and find that sometimes I have to delete the wifi profile for a network (that has worked previously)and then recreate it for it to work. No idea why this is but it works fine.

I've not failed to connect to any network I have come across so I suspect it's not a generic failure of HP kit.

DeepC