PDA

View Full Version : HK Licence / ICAO ?

albyyh
1st Jul 2007, 09:41
I just checked the list of ICAO Contracting States, and I do not see Hong Kong SAR in the list...
( I suppose it is now under as part of China ? maybe ?... )

So, does anyone know:

(1) Is the Civil Aviation Department of Hong Kong now part of the structure under the Civil Aviation Administration of China?

(2) Is a pilot licence issued by the CAD of HKSAR consider an ICAO recognized licence?

( I can only relate to the example of Taiwan, which it is NOT an ICAO state member, and therefore its licence is NOT recognized by most other countries... )

hongkongfooey
15th Sep 2007, 00:05
Cant answer your question directly, except to say they don't seem to recognise any other buggers licences ( speaking for Oz, Kiwi, canadian ).
You can have 1000s of hours jet command on one of the aforementioned licences and still have to do a bunch of their stupid exams, inc proving that you DID in fact fly a C172 25 years ago.:ouch:

AtoBsafely
15th Sep 2007, 02:57
albyyh,

http://www.icao.int/icao/en/leb/FinRu.pdf
I'm not sure how that link posted, but the Chinese authorities have authorized Hong Kong CAD to continue to implement ICAO procedures. Hong Kong is NOT a state. Hong Kong CAD continues to operate autonomously from the mainland, although in the long run I'm sure everything will be integrated.

The Hong Kong licence is "issued in accordance with the provisions of Annex I to the Convention on International Civil Aviation signed on 7th December 1944". I believe that makes it "ICAO". Almost all pilots coming to Hong Kong would have an ICAO licence before they arrive anyway.

Fooey,

I think that you will find the CAD recognition of foreign licences in line with most states. By law you will need an licence issued by the state to operate aircraft registered to that state for commercial purposes, and most countries require some written and practical exams, plus logbooks. All very easy for a professional pilot.:ok: