PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Band Flying Pay

Affirmatron
30th Jun 2007, 17:02
Hi

I've searched the Archives but can't find any info on......

I'm a Navigator. If I'm posted to a non-flying job is my flying pay affected, or is that only if I request to remain off flying duties, or if I'm away for flying duties for 2 or more tours? Do I go onto Reserve Band if I'm not flying? Has it all changed under JPA? Links to a previous link and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Affirm..

Indicating Full
30th Jun 2007, 18:15
It depends whether your ground tour is flying related.

In the "old days" those in ground tours lost flying pay if they refused to go back flying or, of course, were unfit flying duties. That changed 2-3 years ago:

If your job is annotated as flying related then nothing changes.

If it is not flying related then you are put on the reserve band. After 3 yrs on the RB your flying pay drops to 50%; after a further 3 yrs it drops to 0%.

I only found this out on JPA implementation when my previous ground tour was re-classified and I went onto RB for 6 mths until it was resolved. The details are in AP3392 - I think - I have a copy of the relevant pages at work.

Bottom line is if your pay chit says RB then the clock is ticking - It may be that your post is incorrectly classified; if not make sure you move within 3 yrs.

IF

iss
30th Jun 2007, 23:53
JSP 754 is the new puppy to look at (it is on the intranet) and the issue of reserve pay is one taxing all 3 Services at the moment-

You should find the rules easily in it though remember regulations can be changed!

Impiger
1st Jul 2007, 09:13
The other good trick is: if your desk officer feels it necessary to post you to a second consecutive non-flying related post then ask for an Op detachment in between. Even four months in the FI (provided it is a flying related post)will rest your clock.

Pontius Navigator
1st Jul 2007, 09:37
Not directly related except to say that 3392 and 754 are different.

IIRC, if you PVR (not talking about Aircrew per se) then the AP said that a Recruiting and Incentive Bonus (?) it was RIB, would be repayable in in proportion to the time early that you depart. The JSP says it is all repayable.

Guess which one is worse for you? Guess which one is the one they apply.

Affirmatron
1st Jul 2007, 20:48
Thanks for the help guys

Guess I now need to find out if my next job is 'flying related' or not.

Thanks again

Oggin Aviator
2nd Jul 2007, 18:11
I would concur with Indicating Full's explanation - After 3 years if not in a flying related post it gets chopped by 50%, another 3 years it goes totally. Bit unfair if your poster/appointer puts you there against your wishes IMHO.

I would warn all WAFU's to check that their post is flying related or not - mine and a couple of the other woos on the ship werent recognised as being in flying related posts - a result of the ship going into then coming out of refit with some job titles changed from the original scheme of compliment - same thing happened on the other ship of the class. Quite an easy job to fix though via the UPO.

helidriver
2nd Jul 2007, 18:24
You will need to check whether your job is SP-R which, you will find on your posting order or its LSN. An SP job is one where you fly regularly, such as test pilot, sqn pilot etc. An SP-R (Related) is one where you don't fly but it requires a pilot for Subject Matter Expertise, such as some flying related Staff Jobs. If the post has no annotation then you will keep the pay for 3 years where it will reduce by 25% per year until the reserve rate of 25% is reached, i.e. after 6 years. If you fall into the latter category then a spell in a SP or SP-R for more than 90 days will see the clock reset.

Incidentally, the 754 also explains which and how many SP rates can be paid at any one time. I think the maximum is 7! So, if you're an SAS Dive Supervisor on attachment to Special Duties, can speak a foreign language and is also aircrew qualified you'll be quid’s in!

Hope this helps,

H

p.s. For pilot insert/delete navigator or any other aircrew trade.

Indicating Full
2nd Jul 2007, 19:56
The JSP makes no distinction between volunteers and pressed men. Thankfully, in most cases, aircrew fill flying related ground appts - you may have to stretch the definition. It would get very, very messy if PMA were forcing people to undertake jobs which caused them to take a pay drop. In my experience PMA have been pragmatic and adopted innovative solutions (details withheld) to help out individuals.

IF