PDA

View Full Version : Question on sunglasses/contacts etc

balhambob
30th Jun 2007, 12:55
I am shortly starting training in Spain and currently wear contact lenses. I have been told that I will need to carry a spare pair of glasses incase the contact lenses fall out when I am flying.

So I am going to get prescription glasses and maybe prescription sunglasses too.

Does anyone know if you can fly with prescription sunglasses - I was told they can cause colour distortion so maybe not??

I guess the alternative is to wear contacts and normal sunglasses ontop but if the contacts fell out (it does happen) I would then have to put the normal glasses in and would have the sun in my eyes! :ugh:

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Peelay
30th Jun 2007, 20:45
I recently undertook my medical at Gatwick and was told that i could wear prescription sunglasses for flying. The only thing was the tint on the lens, mine is a green tint and the guy said that was fine but he did mention that certain tints were not allowed, although i can't remember which ones they were sorry.

BlueRobin
30th Jun 2007, 21:40
Generally, a grey tint is a good all-rounder. Polarised may be worth avoiding, there's a debate about whether it is legal or not.

Being a IR student, I'm thinking about contacts too as I could do without the added stress of frames clamping my head and nose.

Now where one can find decent, branded sunnies from the high street and that outlet actually has frames to try on is another matter. Any ideas?

Anyone been to Coventry Aero Club?
http://www.aviationoptical.co.uk/
I may end up going up there but given their niche pitch fear the prices will be too much.