PDA

View Full Version : Travel info

maddog62
30th Jun 2007, 07:13
Hi guys,

anybody here who drove from Dubai to Europe via Saudi, Jordan and Syria?

Thanks

mad

Panama Jack
30th Jun 2007, 08:27
Here in Bahrain, there is a nice picturesque coffee-table book that was recently published-- "From Dilmun to Dublin and beyond," about a few people who completed a 20 country roadtrip over the course of three months. Of course, they did it the right way, in a nice Mitsubishi SUV and with the sponsorship of Gulf Air, Bahrain Grand Prix, MTC, Baptco and a few other sponsors.

If you are lucky there you might be able to snag one for free from the sponsors-- makes for good light reading when sitting on the throne.

Desert Diner
30th Jun 2007, 09:49
I've known a couple of people. One drove a motor home from Amsterdam to Saudi, over 25 years ago and one who attempted it from Bahrain to the UK about 15 years ago in a Clapped out (circa 1960s) Jeep clone from Japan which made it as far as Egypt before it fell appart.

If you are a westerner, I suspect you will have a lot of trouble in getting visas and permission in going through Saudi, Jordan and Syria. And even more problems in actually crossing the borders.

fractional
30th Jun 2007, 10:54
Suggestion: get your car sea or air lifted to Greek territory and drive from there onward.

Panama Jack
30th Jun 2007, 11:37
While I don't want to minimalize the importance of PPRuNe as a forum (the Mecca of Aviation Forums) ;) another one that may be worthwhile and more relevant to finding people who have done this is the Thorn Tree Forum (part of Lonely Planet):

The Thorn Tree (http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/)

GAGing in Bahrain
30th Jun 2007, 13:54
Knew a guy who did Bahrain to London in a Hummer back in 99'. Took him over 6 months to get all the paperwork sorted for it. Saudi visa was the worst. He went Bahrain-Saudi-Jordan, then put it on a boat in Aqaba to Italy. Said he couldn't get a visa for Syria at the time otherwise we would have gone through Syria, Turkey and onwards.