PDA

View Full Version : 407 tail rotor

helisphere
30th Jun 2007, 05:19
The Delta hinge on a Bell 407 is backwards. In other words the pitch change induced by tail rotor flapping is in the direction where it increases flapping rather than decreasing it like on most other helicopters.

Does anyone know the real reason why it is like that? To me it seems like an unwise design but maybe there is a good reason for it. No one I have asked has ever had a good answer. Makes me wonder about those 407 accidents where the tail rotor flapped too far.

docstone
30th Jun 2007, 10:12
Good question....but remember the shaft was lengthened after those incidents to avoid over flapping, the pedal stop was introduced and there are the witness marks.....

Soave_Pilot
11th Dec 2012, 08:34
What is the "pedal lock" (or whatever the proper name is) in the Bell 407 for? And that noise seems pretty annoying, got a ride on it the other day and it intrigued me.

EN48
11th Dec 2012, 12:44
The Airspeed Acutauted Pedal Stop System limits pedal travel above 55 kts.

GS Pilot
11th Dec 2012, 14:35
During it's infancy, there were a number of accidents where the tail rotor made contact with the boom.
The solution was:
Lower VNE until real fix can be found. Lower IAS = Less Flapping.
Move tail rotor further from the boom.
And finally, add the pedal stop system, which is airspeed sensitive. Below certain airspeed, full pedal travel allowed. Above that airspeed, travel would be restricted to prevent gross inputs.
Story I always heard was that Bell assumed the "real problem" was pilots inadvertently slamming full pedal in at cruise. Use your imagination on the scenarios leading to that.

I flew the aircraft for 7 years in temperature ranges from +35 to -40 C and I never had any issues with the tail rotor or the pedal stop system.

407 too
11th Dec 2012, 15:10
the restrictor is for left pedal travel only, with a manual override

rotorrookie
12th Dec 2012, 01:42
all those T/R accidents (3 serious if I remember correctly) on 407, involved full deploy of left pedal at high speed.

Shawn Coyle
12th Dec 2012, 13:46
The use of full left pedal in flight was never proven - it was strongly suggested, but there never was any proof - and personally, I've never ever heard of anyone using full pedal in forward flight.

EN48
12th Dec 2012, 16:04
I've never ever heard of anyone using full pedal in forward flight.

The story making the rounds a few years ago (posslibly urban myth) is that a pilot was resting his heels on the top of the pedals in cruise and one foot slipped off the pedal result in application of full (or near full) left pedal, with a resulting tail boom strike. :eek:

Aesir
12th Dec 2012, 17:33
The story making the rounds a few years ago

Well at the BTA Bell407 course the instructor said the pilot said himself that he unintenionally pushed left pedal full forward during cruise.

So at the very least the instructors at Bell are in the belief that was the reason.

There are no issues with the tailrotor any more so problem solved.

LRP
12th Dec 2012, 20:25
The OSN's that Bell issued mentioned that on one occurrence the pilot stated that he did not have both feet on the pedals during cruise flight at 120+ KIAS when the aircraft started the rapid yaw. That's probably where the presumption of full pedal inflight comes from. Sounds likely. It appears that the pedal stop has solved the problem.

The original thread is a question about the negative delta 3 on the 407 tail rotor. "Helisphere", if you're still out there, the delta hinge minimizes flapping by taking the tail rotor natural flapping frequency away from resonance with the aerodynamic frequency. The natural frequency is 1 per rev, aerodynamic loads are 1 per rev. A negative delta reduces the natural frequency to less than 1 per rev, positive delta increases it to more than 1 per rev.

Shawn Coyle
13th Dec 2012, 16:47
The Bell 407 tail rotor delta three hinge is the same as the OH-58D.

rotorrookie
14th Dec 2012, 16:18
OH-58D has the same type of tailrotor as 407, but there is no pedal restrictor in OH-58D, so is this pilot lated problem or ?

LRP
15th Dec 2012, 01:36
in my opinion...yes. YMMV

Shawn Coyle
15th Dec 2012, 02:09
Even going downhill with a following wind, the OH-58D can't get to the airspeeds that the 407 cruises at. So even if there was a problem related to speed, the 58D wouldn't see it.

army_av8r
15th Dec 2012, 04:33
The tail rotor "hub" consists of the Main yoke and the flapping bearings. the two flapping bearings are mounted at a 30 degree angle(Delta Hinge). This hinge offset causes the pitch of the blades to change when the blades flap. my best way to describe this is... we need to compensate for the dissymmetry of lift in forward flight. on the main rotor we could use cyclic to trim it out, but the tail rotor only has "collective" control and therefore needs to be able to do it on its own. so... the flapping action of the TR blades equalizes lift on the advancing and retreating blades without pilot action... The OH-58D also states that full left pedal in cruise may cause flight loads that may cause boom contact... and do not do it. Seems to be working for us here in the Army.

army_av8r
15th Dec 2012, 04:35
And yes, even with doors on, in a dive, trying to get one more rocket on target, i still wont beat a 407 in a race! LOL