PDA

View Full Version : EK Fleet Facts Revisits Sim Support Duties

watertheflowers
29th Jun 2007, 20:17
Now the way I read this any crew member running up to 830 flight hours in the previous 12 months may be rostered for five 4 hour sim support duties and five standby sim support duties as well as up to 70 hours of flying but will still remain legal to operate in the next calendar month.

Furthermore any crew member who exceeds 900 hours in twelve months and therefore is legally obliged to take the next calendar month off can also expect to be rostered for up to 40 hours of simulator duties in his notional month of recovery.

However it seems that crew will not be rostered for night sim duties as this would be too tiring for them.

So who has decided that day sim duties are acceptable and night sim duties are not? And what is the difference? This seems to be an illegal and subjective endorsement applied to mandatory flight time limitations.

Presumably it is published in the Fleet Facts circular for the very reason that it may be illegal, or at best a grey area, and therefore cannot appear in the FOM or FCIs, for if it did the regulatory authority would chuck it out.

disconnected
30th Jun 2007, 07:15
I don't get it. I understood the basis of any hour limitation was fatigue.

So 100 hours a month, 900 per year etc was to avoid something going wrong due an overworked pilot.

How then does Sim not count for this? Most pilots would agree that 4 hours in a sim can be a lot more stressful and tiring than 4 hours on line (generally speaking of course)

Is it really legal that a pilot can spend 40 hours say in a ZFT Sim and then go on to fly 100 hours in the month? I'd love to see what would happen if there was a nasty accident at the end of this.

The whole concept seems totally illogical. What happens under real aviation authorities?

Fart Master
30th Jun 2007, 07:53
EK doesn't give a toss what goes on as long as it either makes or saves money:hmm:

Capt Hair Y Balls
30th Jun 2007, 09:35
Gents hate to say this but the sim duty when on high hours was a Gulf Air invention.
About 3 years ago we were all at 900 max and next thing we know is they sent us a memo (not an ammendment in OM(a) which is approaved by the licencing authority) to say that anyone on high hours leave will be rostered for SIM STBY.

Simply tell them to F:mad:ck Off. If a few of your colleagues accept it then they will pretty much make it policy and screw all concerned.

Stand up to this kind of abuse guys, we work hard enough.

Cheers
Fluffies

fo4ever
30th Jun 2007, 09:57
Come on an ASR is useless to change pairings.

The only way is a Fatique report followed by a visit to the clinic. Facts from the Safety department.

The only reason why the 201 on the the 340 with 3 pilots was not changed was because no one did fatique report but only ASRīs.

900 hours...... hey we are factoring so who cares.

Call "not rested" for the sim and if you are rostered over 900 hours....Easy!!! Hey but lots of pilots would like to make a few extra AEDīs and go over the 900.

Cheers