PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire over Newcastle

tony draper
28th Jun 2001, 20:47
Humour me gentlemen please, I'm not normaly a spotter, aout 3pm today I heard that sound and looked up clear blue sky, and no mistaking it, a Spitfire at about 1500, flying north over Newcastle, no airshows around here for a while.
Tell me I wasn't hallucinating please. ;)

GARDENER
28th Jun 2001, 23:54
Saw the same Spit at Teesside 1500ish he did a low level pass then headed North I suppose to NCL. Believe he'll be based at NCL as las t year for the Sunderland airshow this weekend

TACAN
29th Jun 2001, 01:09
Erm....... The Sunderland Airshow is actually on 28th and 29th July so he is a tad early for that. :rolleyes:
Anyone else know what he's up to ?
Saw / heard him myself this evening about 19:50 heading SE over Newcastle suburbs.

TACCY

gearup-lightup
29th Jun 2001, 01:58
guys you are all correct, it was me in my new toy, no airshows yet i'm sorry to say, but i had just picked up my new spit from the dealers and was trying to get the hang of it, i thought that nobody could see me, but there you go, not as fast as i thought but handles a little better than my P51 but so it should at the price they are now
toodle pip

tony draper
29th Jun 2001, 02:08
Small item on local news missed the begining, but said Spit was sitting on the tarmac at NCL,it is something to do with the Sunderland Airshow, they had a Tornado there last week the pilot is from Sunderland, he said he was looking forward to lofting a couple of mk84's into United's ground.
I think its about time we had our own airshow, we can't allow those macums freedom of the skies over Newcastle, no telling what will happen, hell, that jumped up village doesn't even have a airport, how come they have a airshow. ;)

[This message has been edited by tony draper (edited 28 June 2001).]

Evening Star
29th Jun 2001, 02:50
Sat at my desk I heard it, but was not quick enough to get to the window to see it. What an amazing sound :).

BIG E
29th Jun 2001, 04:02
Tony

don't worry our time will come,when newcastle becomes an independent state there will be no access for the mackems,they will be banished from our fair land and we'll see how far they get on their own without the use of our facilities.In fact with our history we could build a bloody great big wall around wearside to keep them penned in,then the spits could pick them off one by one,now thats what i call entertainment.

up the republic!

HugMonster
29th Jun 2001, 07:09
It was just departing NCL as I arrived for work yesterday evening. A Mk 19, belonging, I am reliably informed, to Rolls Royce. Shame that it really does NOT sound as good as with Merlin engine under the bonnet...

Blacksheep
29th Jun 2001, 11:02
Merlins are for wimps. REAL MEN fly Griffons, (preferably four in hand with eight props!) Chocks away!

http://www.home.aone.net.au/shack_one/

Through difficulties to the cinema

[This message has been edited by Blacksheep (edited 29 June 2001).]

The Guvnor
29th Jun 2001, 11:46
Was this the same aircraft that was flying at the Paris Air Show last week?

Magnificent aircraft - and the chaps that flew them in 1940 even more so...

TACAN
29th Jun 2001, 12:49
Blacksheep - Couldn't agree more old chap.
Still miss the OGL - even now I sometimes get that whiff of hot bakelite and shellac, leather and gas vapours passing through the old nostrils - http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif Sure sign of getting old !

TACCY

mach78
29th Jun 2001, 13:37
Speaking of Shackletons, isn't there one sitting at Pafos?

overstress
29th Jun 2001, 15:03
mach 78

As I recall the Cypriot enthusiast bought two Shackletons

It's the anti-aircraft guns that bother me!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Jun 2001, 15:08
Why would Rolls Royce have a Spitfire? I know the one that was lost at the Woodford airshow some years back belonged to RR, and had been used for Griffon and Prop development and presumably this one is the replacement. But why would they want one these days?

(OK, we'd all *like* one, but how can a commercial company like RR justify it?)

SSD

shack
29th Jun 2001, 15:57
Well, Blacksheep and Tacan,after some 5000 hrs. driving the beasts, sorry what was that you said?

The Guvnor
29th Jun 2001, 16:48
There's a Shackleton sitting on top of a petrol station in south Johannesburg!

Gainesy
29th Jun 2001, 17:58
Pic of same over on the Mil Forum; Caption Comp thread.

TACAN
29th Jun 2001, 18:05
Shack - It's no good -you'll have to type LOUDER. - thought I was the only one with a car-battery-powered hearing aid ? :)

TACCY

GAF4139
29th Jun 2001, 23:14
So what? Messerschmitt over Newcastle would have been much more exciting. At least 60 years ago.

GAF4139

shack
1st Jul 2001, 13:12
Pardon, Taccy