PDA

View Full Version : Aussies at EK

Overbank
29th Jun 2007, 10:28
Gday,
I'm going to jump ship from the RAAF soon and I've been looking into applying to EK. Are there any Aussies out there who can give me the low-down on life in Dubai without any of the whingeing that seems to permeate a large proportion of threads in this forum?
I get the feeling from being a long-term pprun-er that the "silent majority" are happy with their quality of life in Dbx with EK.
The views of any ex-RAAFies would also be much appreciated.
Cheers.

max AB
29th Jun 2007, 11:15
Check PM's

AN FO fossil
29th Jun 2007, 17:16
Due inflation, not as great as it was. But still good.

If you have 2 or 3 kids the education allowance makes it quite good.

And of course it is a stable government job. The success of Dubai is tied to the success of EK!

Yes lots of wingers here but what can you do.

Suggest you visit during the Dubai summer.

harry the cod
29th Jun 2007, 17:30
Overbank

Quote "Are there any Aussies out there who can give me the lowdown on life in Dubai without any of the whingering................."

Now that IS what I call an oxymoron! :D

Harry

Sinbad1
29th Jun 2007, 19:36
Dear Overbank,:cool:

Life in the Emirates and Dubai especially, is rather unique, It depends on what you are really after.

To give you brief on the low-down of life in Dubai:

Driving :ugh: in Dubai is extremely dangerous and very stressful especially along the very infamous road of Sheikh Zaied road and the part that connects Sharjah and Dubai. It can take you up to 2-3 hours to cover a stretch of 7km. Do not come to Dubai and start driving with the Aussi courtesy in mind, prepare to polish up some of the outback driving mentality, but you are a RAAFees no worries - you can pull a few Gees on the road.

Accommodation :bored: allowance Starting from Dhs. 100000 per annum with one time furnishing allowance starting from Dhs. 30,000 paid by the airline. Also depends on the number of your family. An average apartment 3 bedroom around 110 to 140000 UAE Dirhim (in Aussi money; One Aussi dollar =2.40 AED approx.). Other allowances are also paid such as Transport Allowance,Telephone Allowance,Telephone Installation Charges. Negotiate well with EK. Cheapest car (new) around 50000 AED usually EK will help you with interest free loan. Ask around once you have accepted the position. DO NOT RUSH into things.

Cost of Living around 50000 USD PA for a family of four.

Education :) in the UAE for expatriate children is generally very good since it is all private. Almost all expatriates use private schooling for their kids as this is fully paid by the Airline.

Education Support Allowance;

Up to 3 children (age 4 and in full-time primary education up to 19th birthday)
Primary : Dhs. 28,000 per annum. However, if the invoiced school tuition fees are below Dhs. 10,000/- per annum then the Company will reimburse 100% of all actual invoiced compulsory 'core' tuition fees. If the invoiced school tuition fees are above 10,000/- per annum then the company will reimburse 100% of the first Dhs. 10,000/- and 90% of the remainder of all actual invoiced tuition fees, subject to a maximum reimbursement overall of Dhs. 23,500 per annum .

Secondary: Dhs. 45,000/- per annum. However if the invoiced school tuition fees are below Dhs. 20,000/- per annum then the Company will reimburse 100% of all actual invoiced compulsory "core" tuition fees. If the invoiced school tuition fees are above Dhs. 20,000/- per annum then the Company will reimburse 100% of the first Dhs. 20,000/- and 90% of the remainder of all actual invoiced tuition fees, subject to a maximum reimbursement of Dhs. 42,000 per annum.If in boarding school abroad then 2 extra ELT(Education Leave Tickets) per child per annum

Once again ask your colleague as to where is the best school or at least a reasonably good school.

:confused: My figures are a bit old. Please re-confirm with EK for the latest but at least this will give you a guide

Medical Insurance 24 hrs Worldwide cover limited family coverage plus family cover limited to Dubai with no hospitalisation. For family coverage including hospitalisation paid by employee. Family coverage is compulsory.

Profit Share Eligible employees in employment by 1 April (the beginning of the financial year) are eligible for the profit share payment (if any), if they are in employment for the complete financial year. Any employee joining after 1 April, will commence participation with effect from 1 April in the following financial year.

The only outdoor life you will enjoy with your family in the summer is the beach or the malls between April-Nov due to the heat and humidity, however between Dec and April is very nice.

:=:=DO NOT DRINK IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A LICENCE TO DRINK (you need a permit), AND DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE. THEY WILL MAKE YOU EXPERIENCE HIS HIGHNESS SHEIKH M. Prison.
:sad: WATCH OUT FOR THE LOCAL DRIVERS AND THE ASIAN DRIVERS - THEY ARE LUNATICS. Also note a road rule particular to the UAE: Locals have right of way!!:E

There is no point for me trying to tell you do not come and stay down under, or to give you the negative or the positive of the place, but I will tell you that you should do what your gut feeling tells you to do. The UAE is a bit like the outback of Australia - you never know what to expect and it is an experience in my opinion everybody should try at least once. You need to weigh up if the package is suitable for you and your family. What suits one person may not suit another.
Good luck
Safe and happy flying to all:ok:

Sinbad1
29th Jun 2007, 22:11
Muttley Crew
"This is not true":confused:

If you think you can drink and drive "This is not true", I dare you to do it. even if you have a permit and you happen to be drunk on the road you will be arrested and you will go to jail whether the UAE law applied or not is not relevant. Try it see if you can prove me wrong, I will stand corrected.
I did not say you are not allowed to transport the alcohol, I said " DO NOT DRINK IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A LICENCE TO DRINK (you need a permit), AND DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE. THEY WILL MAKE YOU EXPERIENCE HIS HIGHNESS SHEIKH M. Prison.

Safe and happy flying to all.:ok:

Overbank
29th Jun 2007, 23:41
Thanks guys (esp. Sinbad) for the upfront responses. As you said, I think a "try before you buy" is the way to go. Cheers..

yoyonow
30th Jun 2007, 08:25
Overbank, the best source of info is the web site and ex RAAF mates here in the sand. Similar background to you and the experience has been good for me.

Muttley, I can only agree with your thoughts ref Sinbad. Quite why someone not in EK employment feels the need to comment, in detail and incorrectly, on T&Cs is beyond me.

However, as with many things here the law is not always transparent. The law is not the same for visitors and residents and as a resident you do require a licence to drink. This has been tested by many EK crew. Just because they don´t strictly enforce the law doesn´t mean they will not if you give them a reason.... Given that the licence now costs nothing, what`s the issue.

Sinbad1
30th Jun 2007, 08:32
UPLOCK:

"Sinbad you have been out at sea too long , Your information is more than a little old its mouldy "
You are quite right UPLOCK. I have been sailing out of the UAE for 5 months, below is today's rate;:ooh:

:O Saturday, June 30, 2007, 1 Australian Dollar = 3.11776 Utd. Arab Emir. Dirham 1 Utd. Arab Emir. Dirham (AED) = 0.32074 Australian Dollar (AUD).

I did say " My figures are a bit old. Please re-confirm with EK for the latest but at least this will give you a guide."

Do Not shoot me for trying to be helpful!!:{

Muttley Crew: "And as I said this: It's not true. Sorry but I can't put it any more simple than that."
:ugh:I also cannot make it any simpler than this. "You need a permit to be allowed to consume alcohol" whether you use your own personal jet, EK or EY for that matter to transporting it. One of the three Aussies recently on EY flight was charged with drinking alcohol without having a permit.

:ugh:I will say it AGAIN as clearly as possible, if you a resident of the UAE you DO need a permit to buy and consume alcohol. In fact Muttley Crew, you said yourself: "The alcohol permit (booze licence) allows the holder to purchase alcohol and transport it to his residence for consumption by him or his guests."
I presume that "consumption" means drinking?????? The permit is not just so you can buy it and take it home and leave it sitting in your fridge taking up space, especially if it's Fosters or VB. What exactly then is "not true"???

Muttley Crew: "Please don't dare me to do something silly, I might actually try it. Especially if you "double-dare" me. :rolleyes:"

:= Oh please Mate. You are an Airline pilot do not do anything silly that you may regret later. I would hate to see a nice gentleman like you being a guest of His Highness Sheikh MA.K..T..O.M prison. I know that most of the expats drink, but if you remember a few months back in DXB, it was reported that anyone caught drink driving will have his licence revoked or cancelled not to mention the jail term, also not so long ago a Brit was telling his story to the newspaper of his experience in prison after he was caught drinking and driving. His words were: "I will never drink again after what I have seen in jail.":*

fo4ever
30th Jun 2007, 09:46
Overbank:

If you are not from an Airline EK will not accept you even if you have 20.000 hours.

I know lots of pilots who were turned down with only AirForce time such as TRE, flight commander and loads of jet time from AirForce.

Like myself the time I did in the Forces does not count as "real" time.

Go figure

Fo4ever

MTOW
30th Jun 2007, 09:52
One Aussi dollar =2.40 AED approx.)Sinbad1, take me to your money changer!!!!

Try 3.1+ Dits to the Oz Dollar, and getting worse by the week.

Sinbad1
30th Jun 2007, 10:27
MTOW,
Please refer to the last two replys, I did say I got it wrong, I think the Aussi dollar got stronger maybe due to the fact that the USD took a bad turn and AED is directly linked to the USD, It must be painful for the guys that send money over to europe or the UK.

MTOW
30th Jun 2007, 10:38
Nothng personal Sinbad. I'm just still in shellshock after going to bank a day or two ago to TT some money home. They way we're going, they'll be soon renaming the Dirham as the Peso.

Sinbad1
30th Jun 2007, 12:17
MTOW, :cool:

No offence taken I assure you In fact I totally sympathise with a lot of the expatriate guys (As I used to be one myself) especially anyone who has to send money to service a mortgage loan back home or other financial commitment. I think it should be currency protection guaranteed for salary. Years back in Malaysia airline they had this system to protect expatriates against the fall of the Malaysian Ringgit. Maybe the pilot unions (if any) in your neck of the woods should discuss this with the contract manager. The ones I think who are the worst affected are the Europeans who work in the UAE because the Euro is not tied to the dollar as the Dirhim is. They are more susceptible to changes in currency rates. They would lose a lot when they convert the Dirhim into Euros (or British pounds, for that matter). This would also apply to the Aussies who send money back home. However, the tourists coming into the UAE from these destinations will have a big advantage - although that is no great comfort to you guys.

atiuta
30th Jun 2007, 13:03
Why do these threads degenerate into so much crap?

Fo4ever

If you are not from an Airline EK will not accept you even if you have 20.000 hours.

Bollocks.

There are ex military pilots here with little or no civilian time. I believe the minimums state 2000 hrs mutli-crew, multi-engine jet time. Nothing about where it was attained and, based on the backgrounds of some of our pilots, it is enforced as it is written.

Sinbad1

Please! If you are going to quote figures, then at least base it on something tangible.

Education in the UAE for expatriate children is generally very good since it is all private. Almost all expatriates use private schooling for their kids as this is fully paid by the Airline.

It is ALL private schooling for expatriates, let's make that clear. As for your last comment "fully paid by the airline"!!! So where has my AUD 10,000 gone this year? I guess you live in an apartment on SZR and the closest thing to children around you would be the CC.

Sinbad1
30th Jun 2007, 14:52
atiuta
"Please! If you are going to quote figures, then at least base it on something tangible"

The figures I qouted were based on the term and conditions received from EK Hr as of 1st of March 2007, I hope that is good enough for you. but if you choose a more upmarket school than the one around SZR or live in more elaborate tower that is of course your privelege.

Muttley Crew
"The permit does not licence the holder to drink. Ergo, the drinker does not need a licence to drink booze. Just like he doesn't need a licence to eat pork. If you need a licence to drink p!ss, don't you think that might just be mentioned somewhere in the Booze Permit conditions????

You appear alot more ignorant than I thought, below is the complete requirment including the punshment and fines associated with alcohol permit and various issues relating to the CONSUMPTION of alcohol.
:=
I happen to be working on and off in that region since you were in early HSC if not earlier, I know the culture very well unlike you, probably you are very experianced in Malls and clubs oh and Pi..ss. AND NO THIS IS NOT A WINDUP.

Published: 02/12/2006 12:00 AM (UAE) by Gulf news

Legal permit to buy spirits

Staff Report

The UAE, as a Muslim country, implements Sharia law which prohibits the purchase and consumption of alcohol.
However, the UAE authorities are aware that drinking alcohol is popular among non-Muslims, so for that reason the UAE sets rules for purchasing and drinking alcohol.
In hotels in all emirates except Sharjah - where the sale, consumption or possession of alcohol is prohibited - alcohol is offered to customers. Some embassies also offer alcohol for sale to their nationals.Similarly, in all emirates except Sharjah, alcohol can be purchased from licensed retailers by non-Muslims who obtain a "liquor permit" from the emirate that issued the residence visa. Liquor permits are issued by the police departments in all emirates to non-Muslims ages 21 and over who fulfil the minimum salary requirements.
The permit or licence, valid for a year, allows the holder to buy a certain amount of alcohol per month. Purchases from retailers that do not have official approval are illegal.
Only the husband in a married couple can apply for a licence, but his wife can use the licence if her details are included in the application form.
In Dubai, licences can be applied for at police headquarters or any branch of retailers MMI or A&E, which sell alcohol.Bring along the completed application form - forms can be obtained from MMI or A&E branches - along with the Dh150 fee and the documents indicated in the table.
If a husband wants his wife to be able to use the licence, a passport-size photograph of her must also be included.
After about 10 days, subject to approval, the licence will be issued. The amount of alcohol it permits the holder to buy will be determined by Dubai Police according to factors such as salary level, age and family size.
If the residence visa expires before the licence does, the licence must be renewed by submitting it along with another completed application form and a photocopy of the new residence visa.
At most alcohol retailers in Dubai, a municipality tax is levied on each sale.

Requirements
Individuals, free zone employees, semi-government employees, self employed individuals, Green Book holders and Smart Card holders will need:

Passport copy
Residence visa copy
Tenancy contract copy (or NOC letter from leaseholder)
Labour contract copy (only required from Smart Card holders who have changed sponsorship)
Trade licence copy
One recent passport size photograph
Free zone authority stamp on application form
Salary Certificate

Key points to keep in mind
Punishments
Non-Muslims who possess a valid liquor permit can transport alcohol from one emirate to another emirate but the quantity should be for personal use only.
If caught transporting a large quantity, the alcohol and vehicle will be seized and the person or persons will face punishment as per law.
Consuming alcohol is not allowed in unlicensed public places. Drunkenness in public is also an offence.
Those caught drunk or drinking in public may be punished as per Sharia law which implements lashes, but the judge can replace lashing with other punishments such as a jail term, fine or deportation.
There is a zero tolerance policy towards drinking and driving.
Muslims
A strict regulation to remember is that Muslims are not allowed to buy or consume alcohol in the UAE, and people are banned from offering or selling alcohol to Muslims.That means that all the rules that describe the processes allowing people to purchase and consume alcohol apply only to non-Muslims.It is important that non-Muslims are considerate and ensure that their decision to buy or consume alcohol legally does not cause offence to Muslims.
safe and happy flying to all:ok:

watertheflowers
30th Jun 2007, 15:14
Education for expat children in the UAE may be private but it is certainly not 'very good'. The only resemblance between private schooling in the UAE and private schooling in the rest of the world is that they both have to be paid for by the consumer rather than the state.

Not that its that bad but rather that at best it compares only to state schooling in the developed world and not private education as some like to pretend.

wtf

atiuta
30th Jun 2007, 19:51
Nothing privileged about the school my children go to.

Sinbad1
30th Jun 2007, 21:05
Muttley do something,

:D You do not need to thank me for showing you what a fool you made out of your self, you did pretty good job your self. you just do not have the gut to admitted that you were wrong and I think your processor need looking at. As for which airline I work for, I would not even go down that road if I were you, you do not even come close mate. grow up muttley, for a person who admits drinking while driving I think that said it all. One day you will be caught and I will be the first to tell you on Pprune that I told you so. I think you are an Idi..:mad:.ot.I shall remember your remarks next time I see another EK pilot. I am sure they are not like you.
PS; I had to use bold font with some pepole like you so they can SEE obviously it did not work.

Safe and happy flying to all (Including you Muttley):ok:

7x7
1st Jul 2007, 03:15
"Not a pilot with EK"

If that's the case, let me take a guess... HR Department of a large (and growing not as fast as some would like) airline based in a sand pit somewhere between Sharjah and Abu Dhabi?

atiuta
1st Jul 2007, 05:13
Give HR a break, they have higher standards of English than that displayed by Sinbad. My estimate is ICAO level 2.

FlyingCroc
1st Jul 2007, 05:36
But why is it that you see so many muslims drinking alcohol in their dish dashs in Dubai?

Hook
1st Jul 2007, 07:05
I think this thread should be renamed the Muttley vs Sinbad Alcohol Rules thread...........
I also think that the Aussie Gentleman who initiated the thread now believes that life in DXB is great for a tee-totaller and confusing for someone who's not!

To be fair, Sinbad's first post had too many large inaccuracies in the figures, and stretched the meaning of the word "approximate". Suggest one looks at the EK website data for more accurate info.

And as someone mentioned, nothing beats spending a few days here with one's family and meeting a few of the line chaps in EK for their first hand gen.
Don't know what life in the Ozzie Air Force is like, but would like to think that starting off at Ek would be a good introduction to civilian flying.

Sinbad1
1st Jul 2007, 08:12
I suppose this is not a bad way to spend my day off to try to educate someone like you Muttley Do Something

First of all Attuta (attitude??), As for the presentation written in poor English, as I said to you before the figures were from the HR of EK, and the information was in fact copied and pasted directly from the HR document. Do yourself a favor and before you start shooting off your mouth and making verbal diarrhorea with regards to qualifications and places of employment, go to your linguistic masterpiece of a contract from your EK HR and check. But of course you know better...:ugh:

:E
As for you Muttley (do something), please do not stop replying to my remarks as I shall be very disappointed and bored. I am determined to educate you with regards to the local law of the country you claim to know so very well.

The following is an extract from the following link from the Australian governemnt:
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-gi/view/Advice/United_Arab_Emirates (http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-gi/view/Advice/United_Arab_Emirates)

"Drinking or possession of alcohol without a United Arab Emirates Ministry of Interior liquor permit is illegal and could result in arrest and imprisonment. Alcohol is served at bars in most major hotels (although not in the Emirate of Sharjah) but is intended only for guests of the hotel. Travellers who are not guests of the hotel, and who consume alcohol in the restaurants and bars, are required to have their own personal liquor licences. Liquor licences are issued only to non-Muslims who possess United Arab Emirates residency permits. These licences only permit the holder to purchase or consume alcohol in the Emirate which issued the licence (for example, a permit issued in Abu Dhabi is not valid in Dubai). It is illegal to drink alcohol and drive a vehicle.", But you Muttley can do it, yeah..yeah
:}
I believe Muttley is a mongrel dog, but you of course are not as ugly as he is, well I hope not. Oh, I am not a Canadian who lives in the sandpit between Abu Dhabi and Sharjah me old mate. I wish I was at that age. Drat and double drat.:ugh:.

By the way, are you the Bankstown pilot who flies one of those bug smashers with 150 hours and a PPL licence who have been spotted having a drink of VB with one of those Arabs wearing a dish dash in DXB and got a job as an EK pilot couple of years ago??:confused:
Safe and happy flying to ALL:ok:

atiuta
1st Jul 2007, 11:29
Sinbad, have you thought about a name change to Piranha?:D

ironbutt57
1st Jul 2007, 11:32
That's a 3-pointer for Sinbad........:ok:

Sinbad1
1st Jul 2007, 12:00
ironbutt57

:)Thank you for your compliment, but what is the score now?

Muttley where are you? please do not disappoint me, I am waiting.

atiuta, I am sorry I did not get the connection with the Amazonian fish!!!!! please do enlighten me. would I be correct if I assume you mean Tenacious!!:E

Safe and happy flying to all.:ok:

Sinbad1
1st Jul 2007, 13:16
:pDear Muttley, I say it with all the sincerity in my heart. Please allow me to correct you once again and shed some light on a few things. I truly understand how you feel, I used to train people like you (no offence intended).
:confused:
1. You are obviously more ignorant on the diplomatic and foreign affairs matter than I expected (I am surprised the Aussie government let you out). That's OK, judging by your knowledge I do not really expect you to know this. Please allow me to explain; It is the responsibility of the foreign office of any country to obtain up to date information on any law that their nationals might be visiting, and therefore this information is transmitted via the embassies and other foreign offices. Why? Firstly to warn their citizens of the dangers of being prosecuted and so effectively to avoid diplomatic conflict. So to answer your question YES the Aust gov't is now the expert on UAE LAW.

2. Your Quote"I don't see any LAW you've quoted"

Try this: Article 49(7) No 21of 1995, also the UAE Penal Code No. 3 for 1987.

3. Your Quote "From what he's posted about the EK operation here, it's clear Sinbad has no idea about that, either".

I dare you once again to quote me with any remarks to EK operation, I never posted any remarks about EK operations.

4. Your quotes "your desperation to recover a little face" and "Meanwhile, back to school, you're running up a bill on mummy's internet... :rolleyes:", and "Bullsh**tting won't help your argument".

I would expect a lot more maturity from an EK pilot like you!

5. Your quote "Sinbad, if you really are a pilot, please let us know which airline you work for so we can avoid flying with them... :rolleyes:

I will give you a clue, I carry four bars - GOLD that is, and I rule and whatever I say to people like you, you stand up and take note!! GOT IT MAMMY'S BOY????? oh and I earn twice as much as you. HAHAHAHAAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAA................!!!!

"STIUTA"... ;)

ps the gulf news article is the true reflection of the law!!!!!!!! you should Know this me old mate.

Safe and happy flying to ALL.:ok:

Sinbad1
1st Jul 2007, 13:40
Hi Muttley.:E

Dont you know that muttley never beats the pigeon.........

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa28/sindbad1/Sinbaddoodlepigeon.gif

Safe and happy flying to ALL:ok:

Wizofoz
1st Jul 2007, 14:43
Muttley,

One of the most nicely played pieces of wind-up artistry I've seen!

Sinbad,

When you find yourself at the bottom of a hole, STOP DIGGING:rolleyes:

Sinbad1
1st Jul 2007, 15:20
Muttley, speaking of my mother tongue not being English, what are you trying to say here???!!! "I'll hazard a guess re your username, here, and if I'm right, it's not "attitude" but you could re-name sinbad to: "STIUTA"... ;) And he probably does..."

Now, who's taking medication here? Lets be clean about this Muttley!

As for my profession I do not bullsh*t like Frank Abagnale Jr (catch me if you can).

Muttley "Pretty average wind-up...." . Wizofozoo, I think you got this wrong big time?? Who has been winding up who? "When you find yourself at the bottom of a hole, STOP DIGGING:rolleyes:" You should tell your mate Muttley to stop digging - but then again that's what dogs do.... Maybe he should change his username to "Mole".

WIZO If you are another EK pilot I might have to lodge an ASR to the DGCA in DXB on grounds of lack of IQ. If you put your IQs together you might get double digits!

Now where did I put that medication.....

harry the cod
1st Jul 2007, 16:54
Would someone be kind enough to remind me what this thread was originally about?

Anyone......................? :confused:

Harry

violate
1st Jul 2007, 17:45
I might have to lodge an ASR to the DGCA in DXB on grounds of lack of IQ
And if you and your IQ could find a DGCA in the UAE you would be a genius, its called the GCAA, has been for nearly a decade :ooh:

Flying Spag Monster
1st Jul 2007, 17:55
Not this one again, did you do that on purpose violate to futher drift this thread? DGCA is a person, who heads the GCAA, an organisation. Now the poor guy who started this thread was wondering about EK, I guess he now has a very clear picture of some of the people who work here. To answer his question, EK have taken guys direct from the military despite what another poster said, however in those cases they were jet guys, Tankers and one or two fast jet guys etc, if you have this time then apply. If turbo prop, then I am afraid that EK is not interested at the moment. (Don't know why to be honest) but why not apply any way...someone has to be first...

Sinbad1
1st Jul 2007, 18:09
Let me see, another EK Hi IQ staff. Allow me to spell it for you, it is abbreviation of the ....Department of general civil aviation....Authority, Got it??? there's is a good lad, now run along as good boy to your EK lounge.just Question where were you when the GCAA started in 1996???

Safe and happy flying to All:ok:

violate
2nd Jul 2007, 05:48
Question where were you when the GCAA started in 1996Right here, if you must know but that has nothing to do with anything of any significance.

Just in case you need to check your vernacular, www.gcaa.ae/en/
The General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) is a federal, autonomous body set up to oversee all aviation-related activities in the United Arab Emirates.

Before you start hurling insults around of low IQ, I would check your own work for accuracy and logic, it is somewhat lacking in genius.

FSM and everyone else, sorry for the thread drift, I'm outta here

Sinbad1
2nd Jul 2007, 17:38
Violate
“Before you start hurling insults around of low IQ, I would check your own work for accuracy and logic, it is somewhat lacking in genius”.

Violate
“And if you and your IQ could find a DGCA in the UAE you would be a genius”

:*Streuth…. You blokes are unreal… Listen cobber, the above are your highly intelligent insulting quotes. It appears to me that the EK (some) pilots appear to be severely handicapped when it comes to processing basic understanding. For you VIOearly I shall use the phrase attention deficit syndrome

But I have to say you really impressed me with the use of the word “vernacular”….!!!!

VIOLATE
”The General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) is a federal, autonomous body set up to oversee all aviation-related activities in the United Arab Emirates”

You have just made my day… PURPLE..my glass is always empty…!!

Nurse…oh Nurse…….I have rang the bell and asked nurse for my medication for today…. I wonder where on earth she has gone!!! I think I need a bigger bell since I am surrounded by EK Pilots……..:)
Safe and happy flying to all (even you violate):ok:

AVN
9th Jul 2007, 17:20
Quote: I get the feeling from being a long-term pprun-er that the "silent majority" are happy with their quality of life in Dbx with EK.

Let's start from the very beginning: so how is it really there with EK?:confused:

Reverend Doctor Doug
9th Jul 2007, 20:11
Check your PM

YYZguy
10th Jul 2007, 08:26
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that EK will not hire pilots unless they have airline time. Not true.
We have a TRI who came off of F-111's in the RAAF and I've rececently met a USAF pilot doing his sim eval/interview who was flying still flying C-17's.
Nothing wrong in my opinion with hiring folks straight out of the military. Positive change.
Clear skies all....

Vorsicht
10th Jul 2007, 08:46
EK does not differentiate between Mil and Civil time. As long as you meet the requirements for jet time you are elligible. The only catch is that most military guys find it difficult to get enough hours on a relevant type whilst still in the military, hence many go to a low cost carrier to build some hours before coming to EK. Additionally, many fast jet guys cant qualify because they dont meet the multi crew requirements. Obviously F111's do meet it, hence the TRI that was mentioned. F18's and other single seaters do not qualify.

I would imagine that it is only a matter of time before military turbo prop drivers are given a go. Cathay takes them and there is no question they are up to the job, so my guess is that they will get a run at EK as the market for pilots tightens

V

Bypass ratio
10th Jul 2007, 16:35
I think you will find Vorsicht that the Cathay drivers are hired as Second officers and don't get to do anything for about 2-3 years. In EK you can expect 7 sims and a ppc before your ZFT training and then 14 sectors of line training with a Line check. A little differen't than 2-3 years as a Second Officer.

Vorsicht
10th Jul 2007, 17:01
Depends how you look at it and how far back you go.

at the moment Cathay take DE F/O's on the freighter fleet and they dont need jet time.

Up until mid 90's when they first introduced S/O's they took mil turbo prop guys into RHS and that was when it was less than 3 years to command there as well.

Cheers

V