View Full Version : Light piston refurbishment

sarboy w****r
29th Jun 2007, 10:28
Hi there,

Does anyone here know after how many hours an aircraft piston engine will need to be refurbished (UK) please? Also, how much would it cost to have done (very rough figures ok)?
Finally, when buying a secondhand aircraft, I gather it's a good idea to get an aircraft survey done - can anyone recommend one and tell me how much to expect to pay?

Thanks,

SBW

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2007, 10:46
In answer to the first question - it depends what engine you've got.

In answer to the second question - it depends upon where you are, and what sort of aircraft.

G

NutLoose
30th Jun 2007, 19:08
Ok, as we do not know what engine you have I will try to give you the basis to work from.........

Assuming the engine is a Lycoming

Ok the Lycoming Time before overhauls is listed here

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1009AS.pdf

Now if the engine is operated in the UK and is in a commercially operated aircraft, I.E for training etc, then this is the mandatory hours, but the engine can be extended by up to 20 % of the hours listed.... so say as an example a Lycoming O-235-L2c with a life of 2400 hrs with extension providing it has no major problems and your Engineer is happy it is good for 2880 Hrs before changing it......

BUT, there IS a 12 YEAR LIMIT on this or what ever the manufacturer lays down, Lycomings are on the whole 12 years for commercially operated aircraft, but they can vary.

SEE

http://www.caaerg.org.uk/docs/33/CAP747.PDF

Scroll to Appendix 1 Generic Requirements (GRs)

open that then read GR 24 Light Aircraft overhaul periods

If this engine is in a PRIVATE CATEGORY aircraft then it is on condition and as such can be used past these hours as long as no major problem is found by your maintainance organisation, the time period does not effect these, but remember they are getting on and they do keep you alive.

OK pricing can vary..... you can either change it for a factory overhauled engine, this can be a good bet as its valued more if you intend to sell on, or use one overhauled by one of the companies dealing with these in the UK.......... PM me and I will give you some contact names and numbers to get some prices, they are in business to get your business, so DO NOT FEEL scared or worried to ask the questions...... THEY will help you and give you a price up front.

OK Price lists for factory engines are here

http://www.piper-uk.co.uk/

click on price lists download then on the TCM ( continental )and the Lycoming one.

one thing, you will have to alllow for fitting it, anything else required etc..... you may need to change hoses and control cables and the like at the same time, again dependant on Aircraft I might be able to help you with links........ Hoses I buy from the people in the USA that produce for the likes of CSE, but they cost direct about 1/2 the price and come with all the correct paperwork.

As to getting a survey, it might cost about £300+ ish but I would recommend it, there is potential minefields with the likes of crankshaft Ad's etc and it will be money well spent, they will also advise you as to if the radio fit etc is ok for your usage, such as FM immune etc.........

Where are you in the country, I might be able to let you have some names to contact if they are near you.

Hope that helps

NutLoose
30th Jun 2007, 20:04
Forgot to add Factory engines can be more expensive than ones you get overhauled.