PDA

View Full Version : A Genuine Defence Related Question

Roland Pulfrew
29th Jun 2007, 07:24
To Danny and the Mods

Given that the change of the MOD to the MOD & Scotland has far reaching implications for Defence and all those of the Lt Blue, Dk Blue and Green, please could I ask why the thread on Gordon Brown's invention of this new Department has been locked?

Do you get lent-on by Labour Spin Doctors?

Or are you all just Labour voters and therefore will not accept criticism of The Party?

Or do you just wish to be non-political?

If it is the latter please could you say so? Then we can all steer away from Defence related political debate.

r supwoods
29th Jun 2007, 07:28
Lets see how long it will be before this thread is snipped :ooh:

Pontius Navigator
29th Jun 2007, 07:31
I am only just used to wearing purple pants, now do I have to wear a purple kilt instead?

An Teallach
29th Jun 2007, 08:25
Did ye no ken? There's nae end tae the reach o' Gordy's 'Clunking Fist', its even reached proone!
We'll hae nae cheek fae youse peasants now bidin' in occupied 'Greater Scotia (South)'. :}

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
29th Jun 2007, 08:36
Defence has become so politicised that it's very hard to have any non political debate. Watch this space, I suppose.

BEagle
29th Jun 2007, 08:44
So, El Gordo has created 'MinSAD' - how very appropriate.

Now we hear that Jack, Man of Straw, is advocating 'power to the people'....

For how much longer can the country tolerate these Labour losers?

An Teallach
29th Jun 2007, 08:57
No ye've got it a' wrang! Defence isnae amalgamatit wi' the Scotland Office, Defence is noo pairt o' the Scotland Office!

The BBC gets telt today that weekly screenings o' the White Heather Club are tae start forthwith. Next year it becomes the SBC when Jim Naughtie is appointit DG.

In case ye havnae noticed, ye've been subjectit tae a coup doon there! ;)

Not_a_boffin
29th Jun 2007, 09:09
Seems there's also been a post removed from the Fat Gordon thread. Can't remember what is was though.

London Mil
29th Jun 2007, 09:10
I feel sorry for the Scots. What hope is there now they have been lumped together with the b'stard child know as Defence. :hmm:

TheStrawMan
29th Jun 2007, 09:23
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/HowUnofficialServiceWebsitesArePuttingTheFrontlineOnline.htm

How unofficial Service websites are putting the frontline online

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
29th Jun 2007, 09:52
Well, Hadrian gave the Jocks a wall years ago. Now Brown the Humourles has given them de fence to go with it!

Seldomfitforpurpose
29th Jun 2007, 10:17
Doubt you will get any mod brave enough to come in here and offer a credible reason for closing the other thread............as there isnt one :rolleyes:

Len Ganley
29th Jun 2007, 11:54
This move by Broon to create MinSAD (thanks BEags) is simply a mark of how much respect he has for the military. He leaves Strangely Browne in charge and effectively makes it a part-time job by giving the useless one two briefs.

In a short space of time MinSAD will probably be taken over by the FCO on the grounds that all conflicts will now only take place overseas and Scotland, having devolved powers, is effectively a foreign state. And all this can be covered by Milipede or whatever his name is.

pr00ne
29th Jun 2007, 13:18
An Teallach,

Er, I would just like to point out that I am on nowhere as intimate terms with our new PM as you would appear to suggest!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pr00ne

An Teallach
29th Jun 2007, 13:30
I'm having a hard job imagining what's worse - the thought of my (wholly unintentional) double-entendre, or GBZ's appalling pun!

Apologies for having forgotten you, pr00ne. However, I hear that as long as you can outrun the pampers-clad rocking-horse cavalry, you should remain quite safe! ish. :uhoh:

boogie-nicey
29th Jun 2007, 14:38
That git Fat Gordon's causing friction here on pprune, how much more of this can I take ....:\

Avtur
29th Jun 2007, 15:05
At least the Olympics gets it own SofS. Shows you exactly where we are on the ladder of importance. What was that Gord said on the news today referring to the potential London car bomb? Oh yes, "...the first priority of any Government is to to look after the security of its people". Isn't that called Defence?

BEagle
29th Jun 2007, 15:09
Sorry, An T, I misread your post....

I now see that you wrote 'hard'...:ooh:

An Teallach
29th Jun 2007, 15:36
Beags

It took me a moment or 2 to work out what you were wittering on about. Fortunately there was no-one around when it dawned on me!

I think we can safely assume that the mods will be consigning this literary masterpiece of political commentary to the dustbin now!

NURSE
29th Jun 2007, 16:15
when we talk about Tri-service stuff as Purple couldn't we now call it Tartan?

Double Zero
29th Jun 2007, 19:48
For everyone familiar with late 1970's music, all together now -

" Gordon is a -----, just 'cause he's better looking than me, just 'cause he's cool & trendy..."

If that's the case I really will get me coat, though I suppose being head of state has a certain ' pulling ' power, as Bill Clinton worked out - would have thought he could have done better though.:bored:

Pontius Navigator
29th Jun 2007, 21:00
So what will happen to our SMA?

Or for those not savy to SMAs, Signal Message Address.

It took a while but it is now fairly well regcognised that we have a MOD NL and a MOD DE not to mention a MOD UK or a MOD UK.DE.

Will we now be MOSAD UK? or better MOD S(UK)?

An Teallach
30th Jun 2007, 09:16
As the MoD is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Scotland Office it will now be Scotland Office (Defence) or SOD.

MReyn24050
30th Jun 2007, 09:41
It reported here:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/30/nbrown330.xml
That as part of Mr Brown's attempt to create an administration of "all the talents", Admiral Sir Alan West, the former First Sea Lord who commanded the frigate Ardent in the Falklands in 1982, joined the Home Office as junior minister responsible for security issues.
Forgive my ignorance but I surely a Minister of the Crown has to be an elected Member of Parliament.

An Teallach
30th Jun 2007, 09:45
No, anyone can be a Minister of the Crown. However, it used to be traditional to give the 'hired help' a peerage so that they were at least in parliament.

gar170
30th Jun 2007, 10:11
I can see it now "yes Priminster i can confirm one of our I Pods is missing"

MarkD
30th Jun 2007, 14:36
could we see more of this? It used to be that general/flag officers would speak out after retirement because doing so before would endanger pension/K/Lordship but now if government starts dangling junior ministries they'll never say anything ever!

Brewster Buffalo
30th Jun 2007, 14:42
No, anyone can be a Minister of the Crown. However, it used to be traditional to give the 'hired help' a peerage so that they were at least in parliament.

There will be a peerage but apparently he will not have to become a member of the labour party but will be expected to vote labour as will all other similar appointees

ORAC
30th Jun 2007, 15:34
ill we now be MOSAD UK? Hmmm, MOSAD is a wee bit close to Mossad. Be embarrassing if the mail got mixed up....... :cool:

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Jun 2007, 16:27
Not to mention the bacon butties at tiffin....:eek:

althenick
30th Jun 2007, 19:19
Look its obvious what is going on...

1/ the whore from fife has a problem with the rest of us Jockistani's because we (Not me personally mind) had the gaul to vote labour out of the Edinburgh gang hut. he therfore has nothing but contempt for us Haggis scoffers.

2/ He seems to hold the military in contempt anyway

so - Why not save the cost of a front bencher and lump all that he despises into one dept? - sorted :ok:

BTW - Does any one think he will be going to the funerals of those two young lads from his constituancy that died in Iraq? :( I for one shall not be holding my breath :mad: