PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP exam in UK

thecoltster
28th Jun 2007, 22:46
Anybody know if there is still a place I can do this?
Company wants me to get the FAA ATP.
I gather there is, or was a place in Cambridge?
Ta in advance

Colt

Chilli Monster
29th Jun 2007, 05:08
Flight Safety at Farnborough and Willow Air Southend for definite.

Business Air at Norwich, Soloflight at Humberside possibly.

youngskywalker
29th Jun 2007, 10:14
Also Flightsafety paris, where I had to go. You would be better off just going to the States to do it all there, it's worth the hassle of visa's etc. Flight training towards FAA certificates is quite a legal minefield in the UK these days. You can do the writtens at the above named places though.

thecoltster
29th Jun 2007, 10:46
Cheers for the info,

As for study for the exam....would anyone suggest a decent online course or study pack?
I have a JAA ATPL and an FAA CPL that I did years ago.
Many thanks

Chilli Monster
29th Jun 2007, 14:11
ASA computer based test prep and accompanying book, or Gleims version of the same.

12 o Clock
29th Jun 2007, 16:43
Hi
Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have kinda the same thing. I need to get a FAA CPL/IR on the back of my JAA F/ATPL.

I got the Gleim CPL and IR syllabus books about 4 years ago. They are the third edition. Could anybody tell me if they are still ok to do the writtens with or will I need to invest in the latest ones?

Willow Air don't do the writtens as far as I know but they do conduct the training and skill tests, by flying over an examiner every few months or so from the states Writtens can be done at Flightsafety at Farnborough.

If you have a full ATPL, to the best of my knowledge, you would have to do the writtens and then when you next have a Sim review you could get it added as part of the re-currency training, assuming of course you have a type rating!!

youngskywalker
30th Jun 2007, 11:40
I think you would be better to get the up to date version, I can recommend the Gleim cd test prep software, about 60quid or so. Took me about a month of study to get over 95% on each of the writtens, sure you could do it much quicker. I know that Business air at Norwich and Flightsafety can do the written exams and no examiner from the states required for those.

12 o Clock
30th Jun 2007, 13:48
Youngskywalker,

Many thanks for that. Could you tell me where I can get the Gleims CD and would I need the books as well or is the CD sufficent?

Again sorry for crashing the thread but I hope the information is still relevant to the orignal post

Many Thanks

Chilli Monster
30th Jun 2007, 14:41
Mail order from Sportys in the states (http://www.sportys.com) for Gleim (CD-ROM and books), don't know of a UK supplier. ASA software is available in the UK from Flightstore (http://www.flightstore.co.uk)

I used both, though could probably have got away with just the CD. It depends on your preference for study methods really.

12 o Clock
1st Jul 2007, 09:35
Many Thanks Folks :)

pilotbear
1st Jul 2007, 09:45
Just to ad my bit, I did the Gleim CD exactly as instructed on the CD for about 1 month during time off, evenings etc and went to FSI in Paris for exam got 96%.

It is quite easy as you already have the exact questions in the study material with explanations of the answers.

Then did FAA ATP checkride during my JAA/FAA HS125 type rating check ride.

The Oral exam part of the FAA ATP can be hard though.

12oclock
If you have a JAA ATPL go for the FAA ATP based on your JAA one
One exam and one check ride which u can do on your type rating check ride if u r doing one.

thecoltster
1st Jul 2007, 11:34
Pilotbear,

I guess then that I could do the same next time I go to FSI in the states for my recurrent as it sounds you did.
ie do the ATP written prior to leaving at FSI Farnborough and then combining the FAA ATP check ride with the JAA ATP check ride at the same time when I visit the sim later in the year.
As it stands I am renewing both these licences every six months with my present company.
I have also been told that it would be worth my while getting a copy of the FAR AIM and possibly the Oral guide and practical test standards book if I wanted to be very particular....

Cheers
COLT

The Mad Russian
2nd Jul 2007, 19:16
Must the FAA ATP check ride be completed in the actual aircraft, or could it be done in a simulator (say level D?)??

411A
3rd Jul 2007, 02:43
AFAIK, if you are adding your first jet type to the FAA ATPL, the check ride can be done in a level D sim, but...actual landings must be demonstrated in the aeroplane with an FAA inspector.

Additional type ratings?
No problem, level D sim OK for the whole show.

At least this is what I was told very recently by a fellow that just did a Citation rating.

And yes, the oral exam has come as somewhat of a surprise to new folks with an FAA license...it many times is quite difficult, but not if you are properly prepared.

12 o Clock
3rd Jul 2007, 09:56
Pilotbear,

Many Thanks.:)

BelArgUSA
3rd Jul 2007, 10:40
What 411A wrote here above is fully correct.
xxx
A first turbojet type rating (FAA) requires a ride in the aircraft, which is expensive.
xxx
So the best way to do, say a B-737 type rating, is first to get a CE-500 rating then you qualify for any turbojet type rating in level D simulators. I heard of a school advertising a CE-500 Citation rating for US$ 4,995...
Then you go for the B-737 rating, I heard it is $6,000 in level D simulators.
Two type ratings CE-500 and B-737 for total of $11,000
xxx
Another little secret of the trade (and twisting FAA regulations and standards to the best of your advantage) is -
(1) If you have only a single engine rating, by getting a CE-500 rating, you get a multiengine rating at the same time.
(2) If you have a CPL/IR only, and ATPL written, by getting a CE-500 rating, you get the ATPL as well. Check ride no different.
All that for $5,000, good deal.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

bunnywabbit
3rd Jul 2007, 11:34
Stick with Willow Air speak to Steve!

refplus20
3rd Jul 2007, 14:26
I don't know if the regulations have changed recently, but I seem to remember that on the initial isue of the ATP, the FAA would include any valid ratings on a recognised ICAO licence.

eghi r20
20th Jul 2007, 19:59
Hi Guys

I have been approached by a company with the possibility of a job on a N reg biz jet.

The only problem is I currently have a JAA CPL/IR (fatpl) with approx 1500hr (500 Multi Turbine)but no night time etc, so ATPL still frozen.

Q. would i have to take the CPL & IR stateside costing 1000’s $$$. OR would i just need to get the CD rom and sit the exams online and have the flight check during the N reg type rating.

My assumption is........ the UN- frozen is the ATPL the key to the fast track FAA license from reading what other have posted.
The company however think i might just need to take the CD rom route !!. Is this realistic?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks all...:}

pilotbear
20th Jul 2007, 22:47
I just had a frozen ATPL (CPL/IR) JAA and did my FAA ATP based on that. Just do the FAA ATP written ( I did mine at FS in Paris) then do your ATP checkride with your type rating.
You do not need a ride in the aircraft for FAA type rating, level D sim is Ok. You do need additionally six take off and landings for the JAA rating.
I have both and my first jet rating was combined with my FAA ATP checkride in the sim.
I did all mine at Simuflite in Dubai, very well organised, very helpful.

eghi r20
21st Jul 2007, 11:16
thanks for the info pilotbear, very very interesting:D

ITFC1
21st Jul 2007, 12:38
I think you will have to do the Commercial and Instrument Rating tests, if you have no Night time you dont qualify for the ATP, its either 75 or 100 hours you need before you can get a ATP issued.

As far as the training or flight tests go am sorry i cant help, but am sure you cant get a ATP

natterjack747
22nd Jul 2007, 10:01
Im in a similar postion as EGHI. I have a JAA CPL/IR, more than 1500tt, some of that turbine, and almost the required 100 hours night.

So from what I gather, correct me if I'm wrong: are to gain a FAA medical here in the UK, sit the FAA ATP exam at EGLF, and then as Im doing my first N reg type rating on a citation complete the ATP checkride??

Would this then give me an FAA ATP?

A couple of questions. Can you just turn up to EGLF and sit the exam, or do you have to first sit a course before the FAA can issue you with the paper work in order to sit the exam- like in the JAA?

Also how long do the ATP exam credits last? How hard would it be to do a ATP checkride on an aeroplane that you have just completed a type rating on?

I presume this method is better, and cheaper than the route of converting my JAA CPL/IR direct to the FAA CPL/IR?

Hope you dont mind me asking all these questions.

natterjack747
25th Jul 2007, 09:56
anybody please?

eghi r20
25th Jul 2007, 14:12
I have contacted Flight Safety for advice / training info. See what they make if it all.
:ugh:

Natterjack747 U have a PM