PDA

View Full Version : Tayflite

wbryce
28th Jun 2007, 21:33
The older threads on TF are a bit old and don't really hit the marks...

Can anyone tell me what the current situation is at Tayflite i.e. quality of training, instructors, aircraft? Ideall I would like to hear from current or recently trained students about their general feelings with TF...I recall a couple of posts in the past about them being a bit arrogant, is this still the case?

On their brochure they sort of discourage the combined CPL/ME route and promote the ME>IR>CPL route...obviously looks good on paper with costings but thats not really a consideration. Hows the seneca II as a training platform?

covec
1st Jul 2007, 12:06
I revalidated my IR last year with Tayflite in the FNPTII. I did my IR training with them too some years ago. I will revalidate with them again in due course.

They were busy last year, and short of Instructors I think too. But, they do advise prospective students about best start dates etc and when they can fit you in.

The FNPTII is good - I have never had any cancelled. The two Senecas were sound too - I preferred G-PEGI the twin bladed twin vice three blades - and Tayflite did their best to accommodate my preference whenever possible.

Perth can get busy in good weather, and the trees at the western edge of the field can give some sporty turbulence - however if I can manage then I am sure that you can! The Haar is an occasional factor in Spring.

Speed control was (is!) important as I think that the runway is 850 metres - depending upon weight the VAT was 72 to 75Kts 'ish.

I like Tayflite and would happily recommend them - I would advise you however to chat to them about when it is best for them and for you to fit your IR training in.

PS I took 5 weeks and did the IR in 55 hours. 15 hours flying with 40 hours FNPTII. Typical routes were Perth to Edinburgh or Glasgow then back to Dundee or Perth for non-precision training, or Perth to either Aberdeen or Inverness then again back to Dundee or Perth as before [Perth does not have a published procedure - only a Training Purposes Only VOR procedure].

PPS I would also recommend the MacDonald Arms Hotel/pub: 'bout £25 pn including breakfast. It is about 3 miles away in the village of Balbeggie - has a garage/shop cum cafe, a newsagents too.

I believe that there is also on-site accommodation at Perth/Scone Airport too - Tayflite can advise you.

All the best.

wbryce
10th Jul 2007, 18:08
Thanks for the reply Covec, Scone is one of my local airfields so I'm quite familiar with the area! :)

Anymore experiences would be highly welcomed.

r2_unit
19th Jul 2007, 15:28
Good points -

Cracking training airfield - everything you could want with the exception of an ILS but there's one down the road at Dundee.

Freindly, competent instructors and a very fair (though mad) local examiner.

Free from congestion either on the ground or in the air.

Not so good points -

There's only one instructor and one aircraft for the CPL and effectively one aircraft (i've never seen both IR aircraft airborne at the same time) for the IR/ME. This becomes a real problem if either the aircraft/instructors/weather are unfit in which case studes either spend lots of time on the ground or disappear for a week or two - not great if you're on a tight time-line or suffer from lack of fllying continuity.

Overall -

Recommended but allow a lot of flex in your programme.

MIKECR
19th Jul 2007, 21:17
I was more than happy with my experience there, no complaints at all. The Sim was excellent and the instructors were first class. The aircraft were well equipped(Garmin 430 etc), though both quite different to fly. PEGI is a much better machine than IFLP, goes faster, climbs better and is just overall nicer to fly. Training sorties all revolve around Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee and Perth. There is the occasional trip to Prestwick, but Edinburgh doesnt accept training flights unfortunately. As for the examiner, Dai is very fair, i did both my CPL and IR with him and he was straight down the line - no nasties at all.

Any other queries mate then give me a shout.

No Country Members
7th Aug 2007, 22:30
Called them late last year to renew my IR. They never called back. Did my training there some years ago too, but no loyalty afforded.:{

covec
7th Aug 2007, 23:49
TCM

I thanked you re Benair query earlier tonight.

Returning the favour - keep trying to get hold of the guys n gals at Tayflite - obvious thing to say I know but they are a good bunch - just over stretched at times. Maybees pay them a visit?

Cheers

Covec

No Country Members
8th Aug 2007, 20:51
I suppose I should have done, but was in a hurry so made one phone call to another FTO and got the job done there instead. I guess when I'm the customer with hard earned to spend, it makes me impatient, and when Tayflite didn't call back or return my emails I gave up sharpish. My loss perhaps, as I enjoyed my time in Scone.