PDA

View Full Version : Carbon foot print of private aviation

mm_flynn
28th Jun 2007, 05:56
I am doing some research on the CO2 impact of various different types of aircraft and seat loadings. Can someone point me to a web resource where I can quickly look up cruise fuel burn, seats, speed and range for a good selection of Biz Jets, Turboprops and piston aircraft (down to medium twins)?

The objective of this is to be able to identify better and worse choices of aircraft vs. mission, not to be able to demonstrate that private jet flying doesn't generate more CO2 than staying at home or taking the train!

Thanks

checklist69
28th Jun 2007, 08:49
Even the best figures are environmentally appalling. This sort of info is best hidden away if we are to keep our industry, and our jobs.

:{

'69

FLEXJET
28th Jun 2007, 20:42
Some leads :

http://www.bazl.admin.ch/fachleute/lufttechnik/entwicklung/00653/00663/index.html?lang=en

Aviation CO2 represents 3% of total CO2 impact in europe.
I don't worry, as any (stupid) tax would have a so limited impact...

But in your study, and after the ranking you'll find out, please mention that Al Gore flies in a GIII. :eek:

Mach Tuck
11th Jul 2007, 17:28
This one encouraged a little number crunching...

Taking a two months snapshot of a busy Gulfstream 550 operation I found that its gross fuel consumption (*) was 3,700 lbs per flying hour resulting in the hourly production of some 26.5 tons of exhaust gasses. What percentage of the exhaust is CO2 I do not know. The everage passenger load was 4.

(*) Gross fuel consumption is the total fuel uplifted divided by the hours flown and therefore includes APU and taxiing fuel etc.

Hope it helps. MT