PDA

View Full Version : Helo Artic Ops Procedures

Tailspin Tommy
27th Jun 2007, 13:01
I'm trying to find information on procedures for landing on ice or ice flows for the purpose of conducting ice surveys. Does any one know where there may be information on such things as determining ice thickness or suitability to support an aircrat prior to landing on ice.

Military, oil inductry, other industry helicopter operating procedures are all welcomed information.

airborne_artist
27th Jun 2007, 13:32
How long to you plan to shut down for? The big problem with operating in a Northern Norwegian winter (-35C on occasions) was the fuel going to jelly and the oil becoming so viscous that it did not circulate round the engine quickly enough on start-up. Both had to be drained and kept in heated tanks until needed.

If you think the ice might not bear the weight of the a/c then don't land on it, just kick the scientists out from a low hover :E

Tailspin Tommy
27th Jun 2007, 14:10
Kicking out the boffins sounds like fun. Currently, we have not had any problem with ice thickness to support a B212 or an occasional Mil-8; however, we were informed by the customer that we need a written procedure identifying steps to ensure we are not exposing ourselves to unnecessary risk.

There is rarely a need to shutdown and once the ice starts breaking up and flowing, we do not shut down.

I'm assuming that some of the big operators who have worked in the Antartic or Artic may have procedures to ensure that the ice is thick enough, and other considerations.

paco
27th Jun 2007, 14:35
If you do shut down, don't wander so far away that you have to swim across any gaps that appear between you and your helicopter!

The darker it is, the more it will be dodgy - white or blue ice will be the thickest.

phil

Spunk
27th Jun 2007, 18:09
... and make sure that your passengers are somehow strapped to the helicopter. Wouldn't be the first one who jumped out of a helicopter straight into a cevasse. :}

Tailspin Tommy
27th Jun 2007, 20:50
All good stuff guys. Thanks. I spokewith one operator working in Antarctica who has specific ice thickness requirements for individual types of aircraft.

anything like this will help to develop a safety case in order to consider all areas of risk. I appreciate the input.

Impress to inflate
28th Jun 2007, 08:12
Another point to remember, don't eat yellow snow.